Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AA not working

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
798 Views, 16 Replies

AA not working

Hi,

i just installed trial version of 3dsmax 2009 using DX9 render and my AA settings doesn't work, they are working fine with 3dsmax 2008 (16X)

I have a nvidia 8800 gt with the latest driver, someone else has this problem ?

thanks
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

i just installed trial version of 3dsmax 2009 using DX9 render and my AA settings doesn't work, they are working fine with 3dsmax 2008 (16X)

I have a nvidia 8800 gt with the latest driver, someone else has this problem ?

thanks

AFAIK, this is a known limitation (at least the lead viewports developer knows about it, as I got the info from him).
Until 2009, 3ds Max did not control the AA at all (except for line drawing), so switching AA on in your card drivers gave you AA in Max "for free". Certain changes in the way the 2009 viewports operate now (I *think* it might be related to the fixing of A&D shaders to receive shadows and some other multi-pass drawing techniques) required Max to take application control over AA (and disable it for now), so the "free" AA you were getting before from your graphics card driver will not work anymore.
This does not mean that it will not be enabled again as in-application option in the Max DX driver settings in a future update, but for now it is how it is.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

Ok thank you.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

You are GREAT!
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Now this is very bad news.
I call it: ripping away an option by using software tricks.
What comes next? Back to 256 colours if you don't buy Quadro or FireGL card? This is not funny!

my company was going to upgrade to the new 3ds max 9 but tomorrow i'll definitely warn them. Working without AA is eye cancer. We should start looking for a different solution maybe.
Message 6 of 17
Tim_Wilbers

Now this is very bad news.
I call it: ripping away an option by using software tricks.
What comes next? Back to 256 colours if you don't buy Quadro or FireGL card? This is not funny!

my company was going to upgrade to the new 3ds max 9 but tomorrow i'll definitely warn them. Working without AA is eye cancer. We should start looking for a different solution maybe.

I don't think you will have the issue upgrading to 9 except 9 is no longer available.

Consider all the factors before you throw out your workflow.
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

You're right about that, sorry - i was talking not about 9, but 2009
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

Hi,

You do realise this is regarding the 'in viewport' AA that certain
graphics card drivers provided, not talking about at render time??

Seems an odd reason not to upgrade.

Regards
Bri
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

Yes, i do realize - viewport AA is what was so great in Autocad and in 3dsmax in previous versions, when forced via the drivers. The internal option to enable AA was weak, on the other side. SO we always did it through the drivers. Now let me describe it:

In my company we have a Notebook with an integrated Nvidia graphics solution (even without RAM) and a 1.7GHz CPU and 512MB SDRAM. So this is quite an old piece of Hardware. On that Notebook we have installed Autocad 2007 and 3dsmax 06. We have enabled AA with the drivers and get stunning viewport accuracy and speed is OK because we dont' have heavy scenes.

So now, on our new biggest system with a Quad Core Intel CPU running, an Ati 3870, 4 GB DDR2 RAM we have Autocad 2009 and 3dsmax 2009 trial versions installed and get no AA anymore in viewports in any of these 2 programs. So all the money spent on new Hardware was senseless?! Everyone wants to work on that ancient Laptop because noone wants to punish his eyes. You can't work 24/7 without AA in our job. We need to see realtime picture quality in viewports -at least this is what Autodesk claims to be possible- and not only final rendering quality. All this was possible with old versions of the software, so why not now?

In our days AA is a MUST. You get it in Games, you get it in Clear type fonts so you SHOULD be getting it in 2D/3D animation viewports also (at least to be able to choose, if you want to enable it).
Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

so there are some kind of deal with nvidia and ati ?
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

I just want to know from Autodesk:
HOW to enable AA in viewports in the 2009 line of products. Which card do i need, would it be possible only in OGL or also in D3D. If this is not possible anymore, then WHY not and WHEN would it be possible again? Easy questions i think.
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

Easy questions, but you won't get a response from Autodesk here, this is a user to user forum. You should call product support and ask them directly.
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

dumb question but what is "AA"?
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

AntiAliasing
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

Due to our work on improving our viewport performance and capabilities, we did lose the ability for AA in the viewport. We view this as something that should be fixed, but the fix is not immediate.

If you use the nvidia DX driver (Maxtreme?) you will probably get AA back in the viewport with 3ds Max 2009. However, you will lose some of the really cool shadows and material effects that we introduced in 2008 and 2009.
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

Due to our work on improving our viewport performance and capabilities, we did lose the ability for AA in the viewport. We view this as something that should be fixed, but the fix is not immediate.

If you use the nvidia DX driver (Maxtreme?) you will probably get AA back in the viewport with 3ds Max 2009. However, you will lose some of the really cool shadows and material effects that we introduced in 2008 and 2009.

so this is how Borislav told us in first place, thanks to clear up things.
Message 17 of 17
Anonymous

In my company we have a Notebook with an integrated Nvidia graphics solution (even without RAM) and a 1.7GHz CPU and 512MB SDRAM. So this is quite an old piece of Hardware. On that Notebook we have installed Autocad 2007 and 3dsmax 06. We have enabled AA with the drivers and get stunning viewport accuracy and speed is OK because we dont' have heavy scenes.

I can see why Viewport display is such an important part of
your workflow!!

Regards
Bri

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report