Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dsMax 2019 viewport performance

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
hoyer
6078 Views, 20 Replies

3dsMax 2019 viewport performance

Hello,

I just wanted to test 3dsMax 2019 for some production scene.

Sadly I had to see that the viewport performance is quite bad, compared to Max 2017.

For that particular scene I get (approx. 67,4mio polys) 2,7fps where I get like 40fps in Max 2017.

Viewport settings are the same and for both Nitrous DX11 is activated. Graphic card is a Nvidia GTX 1080 running driver 391.35. Max 2019 got latest update 2019.1.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
gandhics
in reply to: hoyer

Did u install PU1?

PU1 has known issue with a lot of poly object.

Apply mesh select modifier on all poly object will solve the issue.

Message 3 of 21
hoyer
in reply to: gandhics

What is PU1? You mean Update 1 which was just released?

Message 4 of 21
hoyer

I can confirm that uninstalling Update 2019.1 fixes the viewport problem. Solid release :thumb

Message 5 of 21
gandhics

It actually mentioned in Known Limitation.

It happens only for poly object.

If you select all poly object and apply "Mesh Select", you can get the performance back untul PU2.

Message 6 of 21
hoyer
in reply to: gandhics

Sorry but I wouldnt release such an update with that limitation!

I can't add a Mesh Select modifier to like 150k objects!

I could talk here even further about software quality, price, etc. but I'll skip that.

Message 7 of 21
gandhics

Well..if you have 150k  objects, then you may pass.

But, it is good to know that 3dsmax can handle 150k objects.

Message 8 of 21
JezEmin

How do you uninstall just the PU1 for 2019 without uninstalling the entire program ?

Is that possible ?

@hoyer wrote:

I can confirm that uninstalling Update 2019.1 fixes the viewport problem. Solid release :thumb

-------------------------------------------------
3d rendering services
Asus X299-SAGE, 7980xe @ 4000mhz, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro,
1Tb Samsung M.2, 128Gb Corsair LPX DDR4,
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
3DS Max 2023.1 (3DS Max 2022.3, 3DS Max 2021.3 as backup)
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 9 of 21
hoyer
in reply to: JezEmin

@JezEmin wrote:

How do you uninstall just the PU1 for 2019 without uninstalling the entire program ?

Is that possible ?

You go to "Control Panel" -> "Program features" and on the left hand side there is a text like "Show installed updates". You click there and then you see all installed updates for any program on your pc (including the Max Update)

Message 10 of 21
JezEmin

@hoyer wrote:

@JezEmin wrote:

Is that possible ?

You go to "Control Panel" -> "Program features" and on the left hand side there is a text like "Show installed updates". You click there and then you see all installed updates for any program on your pc (including the Max Update)

Thanks Hoyer,

Can you confirm that if you uninstall 2019.1, it'll leave everything else within 3DS Max 2019 intact, including the scripts the plugins etc ?  (I just don't fancy reinstalling all of my 3ds Max software at all).

Many thanks. 

3d rendering services
Asus X299-SAGE, 7980xe @ 4000mhz, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro,
1Tb Samsung M.2, 128Gb Corsair LPX DDR4,
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
3DS Max 2023.1 (3DS Max 2022.3, 3DS Max 2021.3 as backup)
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 11 of 21
pokoy
in reply to: JezEmin

What? Add Mesh Select to all Poly objects? I guess I'll skip PU1 then, no thanks.

Message 12 of 21
electrotoast_old
in reply to: pokoy

As this was in the release notes, we are aware of the issue. This was actually caught by our Automation team. Unfortunately, it did not make it in time. We already have a fix in place and has been added to a future Update. 

This is one of the reasons we are releasing more frequently. If you remember, 3ds Max 2018 had 4 updates. It's not out of the realm of possibility for us to release even more as we discover new information. Thank you all for the comments and we'll try to keep this thread updated as we progress.

-----------------------------
Chip Weatherman
Product Manager, 3ds Max
Media & Entertainment
twitter.com/chipnuts
-----------------------------
Message 13 of 21

I`m usually a more relaxed person, but this is not acceptable. It`s the first time i had to deinstall a PU because of 3dsmax being in an unuseable state. Please consider releasing a hotfix for this issue.

Message 14 of 21
scionik_andy

Nice... This is really Unacceptable!

Andrey Plaksin CG Artist

portfolio
Facebook |Personal project

Находите сообщения полезными? Поставьте Нравится (Like) этим сообщениям!
На ваш вопрос успешно ответили? Нажмите кнопку 'Утвердить решение'

Expert Elite Member
Message 15 of 21

Still, i can`t decide to deinstall 2019.1. Too many important things were fixed in it. Ahh.. pick your poison.

Message 16 of 21
Mugga
in reply to: electrotoast_old

I think that most people will agree, that less updates with higher quality are to be prefered, instead of many updates that introduce MORE BUGS!

Especially for smaller studios without a proper systemadmin, its a pretty tedious job, updating all clients and renderblades.

Also for that amount you have to pay for 3dsMax year over year, this slack attitude of you Max guys is just unappropriate and unprofessional.

Message 17 of 21

To follow up on @electrotoast_old's post, a new version of 2019.1 update has been posted (2019.1.1) to address this performance regression. It should be showing up in your Autodesk Desktop App and through manage.autodesk.com

Please keep in mind that all updates are cumulative, so you can jump right into 2019.1.1 without even touching the 2019.1 download

Message 18 of 21

@brentscannell wrote:

To follow up on @electrotoast_old's post, a new version of 2019.1 update has been posted (2019.1.1) to address this performance regression. It should be showing up in your Autodesk Desktop App and through manage.autodesk.com

Please keep in mind that all updates are cumulative, so you can jump right into 2019.1.1 without even touching the 2019.1 download

Just installed it.

Thanks to everyone involved fixing this issue so fast. Very much appreciated.

Message 19 of 21

Thanks for fixing

Andrey Plaksin CG Artist

portfolio
Facebook |Personal project

Находите сообщения полезными? Поставьте Нравится (Like) этим сообщениям!
На ваш вопрос успешно ответили? Нажмите кнопку 'Утвердить решение'

Expert Elite Member
Message 20 of 21
BurrowsTD

We have had this issue with every max version after 2016. Our car rig files used to play well in max 2016, but now the viewport playback is terrible. Even the fix in 2019.1, .2, .3 has not addressed the speed issue and I have just tried Max 2020, which is exactly the same. The speed does not and is not reflective of the statistics shown relative to fps.

We have tried new drivers, closing everything else down, lower poly meshes, different setups, only having fps stats showing (and without) etc, but the playback just does not reach the same look as we were getting in Max 2016. I have spoken with other Adesk devs and they cannot see why this would be happening. 

I replaced all the points/helpers with spline objects to avoid the redraw function on helpers/points, but this had almost no impact on what I was seeing in the statistics, 15-19 fps and lower.

I opened the file again in 2016, plays as it should.

Would like to see if there is a way to boost the viewport playback before we decide to redefine the rig system.

It really is an important issue for us to be able to have this playback be fluid and consistent while checking animation as previews are not always the best way to examine animation issues. We do have a bake/cache system for the rig, but this is also subject to the poor playback.

Machine is a good spec, 128gb RAM, Nvidia K5000 card

Played the file from our server and from the desktop

I played the file from our server and from the desktop, no difference.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report