Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max will not launch

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
sderbyCollege
4227 Views, 18 Replies

3ds Max will not launch

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

It seems it was after a windows 10 update that it started doing this

Message 3 of 19

Same thing is happening with me I hope they fix this fast.

Message 4 of 19

Same thing here, after updating windows 11 3ds max will not launch.

This update: 2023-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2

I even reverted the windows update and restored factory settings on 3ds max, but it now won't open. This is an emergency!! 

Autodesk fix this ASAP!

Message 5 of 19

Hi, this seems to be a problem that i had before so.... 

first of all you have to check the max Log to see where thing waste time and what is causing the error. (or to be sure that i can really help you).

Open your file scene or a new scene and wait, it will open but it will take 13-15 min or more, then search for max log.

You can find it here:  C:\Users\(your user)\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\(your version)\ENU\Network.

Then you can post it here so that we can take a look at the problem. 

(which render engine are you using?)

regards.

Message 6 of 19

Its impossible to open a file scene. Max crashes immidiately upon launch. Even when reseting the settings folder and start up with scanline render. 

Message 7 of 19

Here is my log

Message 8 of 19

As i thought! MSCPROP Security Tool 1.0! I love it!

Try to remove MAXtoA_2023 from C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins startup time should go back down to 40-ish seconds immediately. 

Unfortunately i din't found properly explanation to the problem. that is the solution i found after hours passed through forums and max troubleshooting. Next thing is to pass the hot potato to Autodesk professionals whit the hope that they will eradicate this **** problem once and for all.

Message 9 of 19

That didn't fix it for me unfortunately. In fact, I also tried removing every application plugin in that folder, still same thing max just exit.

Message 10 of 19

Then i don't know, unfortunately. last thing you can try that pops in my mind is disabling security tool.
search for this two:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2023\ApplicationPlugins\SceneSecurityTools
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\3dsMaxSceneSecurityTools
If you change the extension of the PackageContents.xml file in each to ._xml, the packages will not load.
start it up and see, if there are no result just change as they were.

Message 11 of 19

Sadly that didnt fix it either. I will wait this day to see if this is a commen problem all people with the latest windows update will get, if not I'll try to reinstall 3ds max. I've been in contact with autodesk, but they didn't manage to fix it either - but hopefull someone comes with a solution fast. I'm relient on this software to make a living and now it just doesn't open 😞

Message 12 of 19

Wondering if it might be related,  a user reported startup crash yesterday after a Windows 10 OS update that included a Wacom driver update. uninstalling the Wacom driver, removing left over in the system32 WacomMT.dll and rolling back to an older version of the driver solved the issue.
Re: 3ds max 2021 crash at startup process
Please post your crash case number if you have them, that can point us to the source of the crash.

Daniel Cantin
QA, 3ds Max
Entertainment Creation Products, DCP
Message 13 of 19

thank you! that fixed it for me. removing the wacom driver + the WacomMT.dll fixed the problem for me. I guess Wacom should fix their latest driver then.

Message 14 of 19

Btw, I guess someone at Autodesk should let Wacom know so that bug gets fixed. 

Message 15 of 19
clodiersnk
in reply to: sderbyCollege

However, if I come to know of another coast guard solution, I will share it.

Message 16 of 19

Another workaround this crash, if you have a Wacom tablet, should be to connect it to your system.

Daniel Cantin
QA, 3ds Max
Message 17 of 19
hdizajn
in reply to: sderbyCollege

I get this too (don't have a Wacom) and I just click the most right button "continue..." then I have to click again that prompt about Autodesk collecting data and then it starts normally. Also I don't notice that I get some default version of MAX as that first prompt suggests. I get what I had the last time.

Message 18 of 19
sderbyCollege
in reply to: hdizajn

ok this is what I did to fix this, I have a wacom cintiq .  I uninstalled the wacom and re-installed         WacomTablet_6.3.46-1  it works now, dont know what wacom did, but I would avoid their driver update.

Scott

Message 19 of 19

Update: Wacom fixed the startup crashed, they released a new driver WacomTablet_6.4.1-3 

https://www.wacom.com/en-ca/support/product-support/drivers
https://cdn.wacom.com/u/productsupport/drivers/win/professional/releasenotes/Windows_6.4.1-3.html

All Devices All models We fixed an issue that was causing Autodesk's Maya and 3ds Max applications to crash with the 6.4.1-2 driver installed.

Thanks everyone for your patience.

Daniel Cantin
QA, 3ds Max

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report