Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max 2022 Arnold doesn't render animated background

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
barryn56ALMUW
742 Views, 4 Replies

3DS Max 2022 Arnold doesn't render animated background

An animated background consisting of any form (.AVI or sequence of frames, such as TIFF) shows and animates in the viewport when scrubbing the timeline but does not animate (shows only first image) when rendering. Probably an Arnold integration issue?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Are you loading the TIFF sequence through an IFL ?

Mastering Autodesk 3ds Max 2013
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Autodesk-3ds-Max-2013/dp/1118129717/ref=zg_bs_4135_2
Message 3 of 5

Hi - thanks for the quick response.

Well, I followed the instructions in the Autodesk knowledge instructions and selected the first in the sequence and it automatically produced the IFL, which is in the same folder. I think the viewport animation would not work otherwise (?)Note that I also tried other filetypes before - including AVI and MP4 with same result; works in viewport, but not in render.

I am using Arnold renderer, with the parameters set to use Arnold Compliant mode and GPU...

However, after you sent your email I looked into trying to use the IFL file directly as the map. It wasn't an option using the OSL Bitmap Lookup that I have been always using, but it did load with the older Bitmap (which I normally avoid due to Arnold complaining sometimes). So that did work (yay!) - which is interesting, as this is not a method listed in the documentation and requires the older Bitmap widget - unless there's a way to get the OSL one to work.

Message 4 of 5

One thing to check, is check your IFL in the material editor and make sure that the mode is set to screen.

Also try just using the IFL in your Environment:  Background setting without putting it in another material first.

Mastering Autodesk 3ds Max 2013
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Autodesk-3ds-Max-2013/dp/1118129717/ref=zg_bs_4135_2
Message 5 of 5

Hi - thanks again - yes, those options are only available in the Bitmap widget, not the OSL Bitmap Lookup, and I have not applied these to a material before using, as shown in the screen grab I attached.

So, it seems the only option is to use the Bitmap widget...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report