Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max 2021 won't allow photoshop to save .psd files when open in Max

38 REPLIES 38
SOLVED
Message 1 of 39
open-range
7970 Views, 38 Replies

3DS Max 2021 won't allow photoshop to save .psd files when open in Max

This was a problem, huge problem for me, in a previous verison of Max a few years back. It got fixed but now it's back again.

I use .psd files extensively for texture maps. I often adjust them with adjustment layers to fine tune. Like saturation and other color adjustments.

Now when a .psd file is being used in Max and I adjust the file in photoshop, I cannot save the .psd. I get an error message saying the file cannot be saved because it's in use by another program.

I'm using Max 2021.2 I think this started with the most recent  .2 update. 

Big problem, was a problem in the past and now it's back again. Please fix asap

Thank you

38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
open-range
in reply to: open-range

Bumping this up so someone form Autodesk might reply and at least acknowledge the issue. AJ?

Message 3 of 39
open-range

CAN SOMEONE FROM ADESK PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THIS PROBLEM WHICH PREVIOUSLY EXISTED IN MAX 2016 IS NOW BACK AGAIN IN MAX 2021.

WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET A REPLY TO THIS BIG PROBLEM THAT WAS PREVIOUSLY IDENTIFIED AND FIXED WITH A SERVICE PACK IN 2016? SHEESH!!

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/photoshop-can-t-save-file-open-in-3ds-max/td-p/5650471

Message 4 of 39
shawnolson

I will look into that now and respond a little later. Thank you for reporting.

Message 5 of 39
shawnolson

I tested in 3ds Max 2021.3 (which came out this week) and am able to overwrite the PSD. We have others looking into this, but in the meantime, you might consider updating to 2021.3 from your Autodesk account.

Message 6 of 39
open-range
in reply to: shawnolson

Shawn,

thanks for your reply. I am using 2021.3. Make a box. Assign material. Put .psd file into diffuse map slot. .psd file should have at least one adjustment layer, loke hue/saturation or brightness/contrast. Keep max open. Open .psd diffuse map file in pshop. Make adjustment to adjustment layer. Save file = get error message and so cannot save .psd file with changes must made

Message 7 of 39
open-range

Testing some more with new Max 2021.3  scene containing only box with assigned material containingg .psd file in diffuse map slot.  Open .psd file in Photoshop. Make adjustment to adjustment layer and save. Pshop can save the .psd file initially. BUT after another  few adjustments to the adjustment layers and saving the file in photoshop a time or two  and also saving the Max file a time or two the problem arises. From that point on trying to save pshop gives error "cannot save file because it is in use or open in another application." Close max and then file can be saved in pshop.

using Max 2021.3. Think problem started with 2021.2 but not 100% sure. Problem does not occur with Max 2020. Problem first arose with Max 2016 and was subsequently fixed. Now, it's back again.

Message 8 of 39
shawnolson

Thank you for your added information.

I was pointed to a possible cause/solution. If you are using Arnold, you might have this issue depending on some settings. If using Arnold, please refer to Cannot update 3ds Max scene bitmaps in Photoshop when rendering with Arnold.

Please let me know if this solves your problem.

Message 9 of 39
open-range
in reply to: shawnolson

Thanks. That is the error message and problem I am having. BUT - I am not using Arnold. I am using most current version Vray 5 (hotfix 2)

Message 10 of 39
open-range

More testing. The problem does not appear when first opening scene in Max and .psd file in photoshop. Changes can be made to .psd and file can be saved.

Using compact material editor (not slate) if the map parameters are open in the mat editor it seems changes can be saved in pshop. If the material then is set to the parent/top level that seems to trigger the problem.  i will try to test some more later today.

Message 11 of 39
shawnolson

I tried to replicate this issue but could not (even in Vray 5). Can you do a test to see if this same problem is happening when you switch to the Scanline renderer?

Message 12 of 39

Hi Mark! If you are using Arnold as renderer, can you please try what suggested in https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Cannot...

Flushing the cache should let you save your file in Photoshop, then the bitmap should also be updated in the material.

Thank you!

Giuseppe

Giuseppe Schiralli
3ds Max - QA Analyst>
Message 13 of 39

Thank you Giuseppe. I am using Vray 5.

some further testing. I cannot determine what causes this. Upon first opening Max scene and then opening  .psd file used in diffuse mar of material in Photoshop, i can make adjustments to the adjustment layers in the .psd file and save it. After some amount of this and also saving the Max file and toggling the material back and forth form map parameters to parent the problem starts. From that point on cannot save .psd file.

I have tried, within the same Max scene, two separate materials each with it's own unique .psd file as a diffuse map. I have it where one of the .psd will save after change to adjustment layer, but the other will not.

i have tried in a separate Max scene with yet a third materiel with unique .psd diffuse map. That scene also will work OK on open but after some amount of back and forth with adjustments to the .psd and saving the max file and etc the problem occurs.

there is definitely a problem here. I believe it started with 2021.2 and I also believe it's essentially the same problem as before in 2016. Unfortunately I cannot determine the consistent set of steps required to invoke the problem. Regardless after some amount of time of adjusting/saving it occurs. I'm not making this up.

Message 14 of 39
cuneyt.ozdas

Hi markf,

Even if you are using Vray, there is still a chance that Arnold is involved.

To check/eliminate that possibility can you please try flushing Arnold Texture caches when you hit that problem the next time. (Assuming that it's installed in your system and you have the Arnold menu item in the main menu bar)

You can flush the caches with this menu item:
Main menu bar -> Arnold -> Flush Caches -> Textures.

After that try saving the psd in the photoshop again and let us know the result.

Thanks.

Cuneyt Ozdas
Principle Software Engineer
Message 15 of 39
open-range

More testing and I seem to be able to re-produce the problem. I seems to be a problem when using vray bitmap. I don't think this problem existed prior to Max 2021.2

Here are the steps:

• New blank Max 2021.3 scene with vray 5.
  • Create box.
  • In material editor assign material to box. Click diffuse map button, choose vray bitmap for map type. choose .psd with adjustment layer for map. toggle show in view port. Save Max scene
  • Open .psd in Photoshop, make a change to adjustment layer. Save
  • Save Max scene
  • click "go to parent button in material to go to top level of material.
  • In photoshop make change to adjustment layer. Save - Now you get error message "cannot save because in use in other application".

If possible, it would be very helpful if someone could see if they can reproduce this. Thanks!

Message 16 of 39
open-range

I tried flushing the Arnold texture cache per advice given above . That had no effect.

Here are simplified step that I believe induce the problem  steps:

• New blank Max 2021.3 scene with vray 5.
  • Create box.
  • In material editor assign material to box. Click diffuse map button, choose vray bitmap for map type. choose .psd with adjustment layer for map. toggle show in view port. Save Max scene
  • Open .psd in Photoshop, make a change to adjustment layer. Save. Now you get error message "cannot save because in use in other application".
Message 17 of 39

I reproduced the issue as described.

I found an old thread about the same problem: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/psd-files-locked-again-by-3dsmax-2017/td-p/6698013/page...
It seems related to the use of Adjustment layers and Shape Paths.

I don't have the same if I use Arnold, given that I flush the cache before saving in PS.

Is it possible it's a regression for VRay? Have you update it and then started to have the problem?

Would it be a viable workaround to use a different format from PSD in Max, like PNG, and save it from Photoshop?

-Giuseppe

Giuseppe Schiralli
3ds Max - QA Analyst>
Message 18 of 39

Hi Giuseppe and thanks for confirming!

the problem is not a result of updating Vray. I am pretty certain it is  a result of the Max 2021.2 update. With Max 2021.0 this was not a problem.

I don't have any shape paths in the.psd files but I always have adjustment layers. That's why I use .psd. I have found it to be the easiest way for me to make changes to diffuse texture maps like small tweaks to fine tune and adjust saturation, color, brightness, contrast, etc. Normally works very well and I have set up and saved 100+ of these to my maps library over the years.

Switching/ changing all these to another format like PNG is not a very attractive idea to me. Hopefully this can be fixed because and I know it used to work without a problem in Max 2021.0 so.....

Thanks again for your help.

Message 19 of 39
Anonymous

Starting there on attempting to spare pshop gives mistake "can't spare record since it is being used or open in another application." Close max and afterward document can be spared in pshop.

Message 20 of 39
open-range
in reply to: Anonymous

Closing Max actually  does. Ot allow the file to be saved in pshop. Trying to save still delivers error. Even if closing Max would then allow the file to be saved in photoshop that is not a viable solution. Closing and reopening the scene each time in order to see the results of a minor adjustment to to the appearance of a texture map? NOT. 

On further consideration as suggested above, making a change and saving as png, then make another change and save as psd amd keep repeating until desired result is achieved may be a workaround. BUT this is a new problem introduce by the 2013.2 update. It can work as it should, used to work as it should so hopefully whatever was done to induce this will get fixed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report