Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max 2021 merge w/ placement

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
eduardoleite22243
1678 Views, 6 Replies

3ds max 2021 merge w/ placement

I have a problem, in 3ds max 2021 using merge, it will used automatic the placement when done. That is impossible to merge bigger scenes because of the placement system on merge. It's possible to merge without the automatic placement? In older version the mergem system, just merge with the current location of the file, don't does the placement. 

What is the solution for it? It's possible to turn off the placement after merge?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RobH2
in reply to: eduardoleite22243

What if you Group all of the objects in the file the objects are coming from and then set the pivot point to 0,0,0? Then, when you merge it into the new scene, snap that pivot to 0,0,0 in the new scene and 'Explode' the Group. That might be a viable workaround.  Make absolutely sure both files have the same units scale. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 7

The problem is that 3ds max 2021, merge with an automatic placement, and in bigger scenes imagine the placement of all. The previous 3ds max version, the merge just merge on the original coordinates and that's all, no automatic placement after merge.

Message 4 of 7

If you Merge your file by dragging and dropping the file into your scene, it will ask you to place the contents.  If you go to File, Import, Merge, your objects will come into the new scene in the same place as the source scene.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7

In older versions that works like that. Now in 3ds max 2021 it works all with the placement after you merge (with the two options that you mencioned)

Message 6 of 7

So even if you do File, Import, Merge, it is still asking you to place the objects?  That is not typical behavior.  I merge things a lot, and have not ever experienced what you're describing.  I don't see any options in the Merge dialog to allow or prevent this, either.  Sorry, but I have no idea what would cause 3ds Max to act that way.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
RobH2
in reply to: eduardoleite22243

I merge things a lot as well and like Chris (camedeck) I haven't had issues with placement. That's why I mentioned the workaround above. It's a way I've used for other programs to get things placed properly. It might work for you. 

Whether the issue is common or normal isn't the issue. Sure, you'd like to get it fixed but most importantly, you just need to get the work done. Until you sort it out, maybe the workaround will keep you on schedule. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report