Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max 2020 update 2 is live!

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
hagen.deloss
5136 Views, 14 Replies

3ds Max 2020 update 2 is live!

Hello fellow forum friends!

The 3ds Max Team is pleased to inform you that 3ds Max 2020.2 update went live today, on schedule!

The 3ds Max 2020.2 update includes: 

• Extends Viewports support for IBL, Physical Material parameters, with improved shadows.
  • Automatic viewport background mode gets you working with your environment lighting even faster.
  • Brand new edge and vertex miter types give you better chamfer results requiring less clean-up. These new Chamfer capabilities have been exposed to EditablePoly for quick modeling support. 
  • SketchUp importer has updated compatibility with all current versions of .skp files.
  • Don't forget to check MAXtoA release notes for Arnold updates included in this release!

3ds Max 2020.2 update is available via the Autodesk Desktop App and for download on Autodesk Account.

The 3ds Max Team also released today 3ds Max I/O 2020.2 update.

Congratulations to everyone involved!

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
hagen.deloss
in reply to: hagen.deloss

Following up with more information,

For a full list of issues resolved in 2ds Max 2020 update 2, see the following: 3ds Max 2020.2 Update Release Notes.

If you have a specific issue with the product release, please make a forums post with the title of the issue 😄

Hagen Deloss

Message 3 of 15
badr.msssm

Thanks

Message 4 of 15
cedez1832
in reply to: badr.msssm

I've noticed a very strange behavior after installing this update. Basically, after 3ds max cold start without any additional plugins loaded it eats up from 3 to 5 Gb of ram. Strangely enough, after loading any pre-saved file it cuts down to around 700 MBs. But everything else is very smooth and stable, no complains here, just noticed.

Message 5 of 15
jibijib

Do you need to install the updates seperately or are they included in the one 2020 download? 🙂

Message 6 of 15
cedez1832
in reply to: jibijib

I've installed 3ds max on my new workstation around a week ago, and at that time, it wasn't included in the build. I believe you still need to install it separately via Autodesk Desktop App.

Message 7 of 15
laptoptitan

I will update it. Thanks for sharing. 

Message 8 of 15

The good news is that with the new updates increasing interest of users to VR technology. It will significantly attract the interest of users)))

Personally, I am very pleased with the update. Hope this is just the beginning of a successful update.

Message 9 of 15

If I download 3ds max 2020 via the Account will that include already all these updates ? or I have to still instalthese update afterwards ?

Message 10 of 15

@Kranos_Orphydian 

I believe how it works is all updates are full installs, but the basic 2020 install doesn't include updates, at least according to this documentation.

...I could be totally wrong though, I haven't tested to see if the updates are full installs. I don't see it mentioned in this documentation.

Hagen Deloss

Message 11 of 15

@Kranos_Orphydian 

I just tested and confirmed that if you just download Max 2020 update 2, it will download the full install package for Max.

Hagen Deloss

Message 12 of 15

great, although I read that you need the 2020 instal to be able to update to 2020.2...on autodesk knowledge network

Message 13 of 15
ng_narmer

Hello!

Viewport updates are really fantastic, the display of roughness in the reflection makes the look of the viewport much more realistic.

Is it possible to make this work with VRay Materials?

VRay Materials' glossy look is either based on the Reflection Glossiness map or the Roughness map, depending on what method you want to work with.

But I tried both, and neither of them have any affect on the materials in the Viewport.

Best Regards,

Gábor

Message 14 of 15
thompsonmax465
in reply to: ng_narmer

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. Thanks for the good news. 

Message 15 of 15
hegaki6886
in reply to: thompsonmax465

FAO everyone.

Don't roll back versions - the uninstaller doesn't completely roll back new functions present installed in 2020.2 / 2020.3 but they're not there obviously, so you completely lose key definitions because the hotkey editor (in 2020.2) is no longer there. God knows what else the uninstallation messes up. 😔

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report