Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3Ds max 2020 crashes when loading a saved file, patch edit pr

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2195 Views, 10 Replies

3Ds max 2020 crashes when loading a saved file, patch edit pr

Hi guys, 

Everything is described in these crashdump/events ... files I've uploaded.

Basically, I have a scene saved but it won't open it. In some cases, some saves, it does open, but then it crashes when I select edit patch modifier. And I do not know how to edit a non-mesh, non-poly file without patch edit. I've tried to convert it, but I do not have convert options in edit modifier list. 

I have some 200MB + crashdump, too saved. I have just analyzed it with windows tool and copied text document into txt. format. 

Cheers guys! 🙂 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

I also should mention that ENU in the appdata folder of 3Ds Max has changed today. And that it has replaced old_Enu which still exist there. Should I just rename the old_Enu and try that way? I can attach scene files itself, too, on the onedrive link, if that's needed?

Best regards
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Well, hi.

I did replace name of the Enu- changed back the old Enu - "Enu.old" to "Enu", and vice versa. However, didn't resolve the problem I have. 

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AKur7hBt5q3dI64&id=14DF298A3F3786AC%213515&cid=14DF298A3F3786A...

Here's the link of the file itself on my Onedrive attachments. It's not a virus/trojan/malware/adware nor anything similar. My files are pretty large - from 130MB... I'm new to all this and do not have idea what is considered to be large. 

I have low virtual memory - just 4GB of RAM. 

Processor is up to date with the softwer, as the graphic card. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

It still crashes, could anyone see the logs?

Best regards

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Guys, what's the problem here? 

I mean I've sent numerous reports to autodesk by a window error, they don't reply. 

I've sent an email to some Autodesk reseller in America, they replied that I am not customer of them. 

I can't solve this problem out anywhhere, but here?

@Alfred.DeFlaminis, could you help?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Hi guys. 

After the 3Ds max crashes: it shows the qt Qtwebengineprocess working in task manager? 

This might be related to the problem I have. 

Regards

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Hi. Is anyone here who can help please?

@brownsa 

@hagen.deloss 

@veronica.meuris 

@Kelly_Michels 

Or anyone else. Sorry for tagging you, but as I can see you're one of the Autocad guys here. I ve updated BIOS, I've tried to open the file in the Autocad Architecture, but I can't open 3ds max scene file in the Autocad Archi. I've changed all the settings to enhance my computer and even changed a cooler. However, it just is stuck. I am aware that this has nothing to do with the student version, but I can't work at all in 3ds max. The scean loads and crash after that. I ve done computer rating rendering in Cinerbench (that's another software), and I have a low ability computer - only around 500 hundred score there. Is it that? I provided files up in the first post about logs. 

Thanks in advance. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Well, just to close the topic. My computer is not that good or optimized for running 3Ds max smoothly. 

However, I've managed to run 3Ds max smoothly in some way by reducing the scene to just one viewport. And it is going pretty much well. 

Cheers. 🙂 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

@Anonymousi saw you got zero answers here, which is really sad.

What i can do, is at least check if the file crashes on my system here too, if you can provide it. Just to check if it`s really because of your low system specs. I saw it`s no longer present on your OneDrive. I have to say that for 3dsmax, 4GB Ram is really,really low. Did you monitor your RAM/GPU/CPU usage when loading the scene?

I can`t really debug the crashdump here (don`t have the debug symbols,and not much experience in native code), that would be something for the staff members/developers to look into.

Ususally, if you sent the CER and provide an e-mail address, @hagen.deloss  or other members can look into what caused the crash.

Kind regards,

Meli

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Hello. Thank you very much on answer. 🙂 

However, now I can run 3Ds max without errors - almost.

I can't remember how I managed to open that scene and to fix it caused it was crashing during or on loading, but somehow I managed to fix it.

Basically, I've just removed large files from my scene (polygons), and shrinked the size of the scene for more than half. And changed only to one viewport configuration from 4 viewports before.

3Ds max now run ok. It uses about 350 RAM memory. With one google chrome tab opened, it is the usage of 75% of memory. (yes, you're right anyway - the computer is the problem -  I need a new one).

But, it did crashed after sometimes on chamfer or again on edit patch (maybe because those operations require a lot of memory my computer do not have). CPU's is about 30%. 

But, I've managed to make those operations work except that "edit patch". I've used other operations to remove elements I do not need cause I'm only using 3Ds max for (interior) architecture.

Not to bother you anymore, if the crashdumps occur again, I've contact other people, but I'm planning to go for a better configuration firstly.. A admit, I was a bit of frustrated on the other topics and thought it was due to 3Ds max being a student version, but I was very wrong. From many googling, the problem always is in the hardware configuration or elements. 

I apologize to the forum community because of that.

I've tested my configuration at the full load for Cinema 4D (100% usage of everything) on Cinerbench when rendering, and it scored about 492, and 512 was the lowest score there. I know this has nothing to do with Max, as those are different softwares, but just to mention cause it's similar.   

The onedrive file was automatically deleted - don't know why. I can upload the scene again, but I really think this is to my computer performance. I did however imported some free elements to the web to the scene. And then remodeled them. I've tried opening that old scene from this topic, but it still crashed. I think this is all due to very lack of my performance, not because of other things.

It's ok for now. Thank you very much on your answer.  Sorry for the long post. 

Best regards, and thanks very much once again.

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

No bother at all. Good luck and please don`t let the lack of answers discourage you to use this forum again.

Kind regards,

Meli

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report