Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodeskโ€™s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3ds max 2019 Excalibur XBR status?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1039 Views, 2 Replies

3ds max 2019 Excalibur XBR status?

Hello. Question for people involved in rewriting the 3ds max code within the XBR project from 3ds max 2010. It's been almost 10 years, how are the works now? BO Max seems to continue to have ballast 3ds max ver 1.2 and so to work .. And it was supposed to be rewritten the entire kernel and substrings for a new code. Even the usual autosave at the modern large stages crashes the max, and lasts 10x longer than the usual scene record. 2020 is coming ... with respect to this legendary program for 3ds max 2020 editions, you could prepare something extra. You have enough resources of eminent programmers who look at this old archaic 3ds max code, in a few weeks they would improve it by several hundred percent ๐Ÿ™‚ Maybe in this ranks of fresh blood programmers, new fresh gifted programming geniuses who would gladly relish these old lines of code coming from still from 1997 ๐Ÿ™‚

Best Regards/ Salutations/ MvHๅ•ๅ€™/ 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
loganfoster
in reply to: Anonymous

From what I know the 3DS Max team has been doing various updates, fixes, and improvements to the core of 3DS Max over several releases, some of this is very noticeable, other portions of this are less so (if you dig through the list of all the fixes that Changsoo Eun posts you will see a lot of the hints of this behind the scenes work in the bug fixes and improvements that aren't notable enough, or weren't fixed early enough to make a marketing campaign that is planned months ahead of release). 

The problem with just "rewriting" things is that you also need to ensure that everything is backwards complaint so that it works like it did originally, not just for compatibility, but also for consistency (because wouldn't the end user hate it if a system stopped working as it should, or operated differently between one release to another). As such this is a pretty massive undertaking. If you compare this to Maya it took them years to just move their UI & code over the QT (something that is going on with each release in 3DS Max), so its understandable why this takes time. This involved work also must be balanced with the need of new features, updates, and bug fixes, so it is quite the balancing act. I too wish it could just happen over a single dev cycle, but as someone who works in the games industry I also get that these things are never as easy as it appears, nor as simple as it seams, so we need to be patient and understand that these improvements are taking place. 

With that said if you have a scene that is crashing 3DS max, you should report it. I know for a fact that the Max dev team is always interested in looking at and diagnosing problems, they might not give you an answer on what is wrong, but it will certainly give them an answer in where something is behaving unexpectedly in the 3DS Max core that can be released in a patch/update (and in some rare circumstances these updates can actually be pushed back into older releases 2 or 3 years behind the dev cycle). Speaking from personal experience I have scenes that are over 3GB in size and know of people that have scenes over 30GB in size that behave well (they are obviously slow to save, but that is expected due to how quickly one can transfer data down to your HDD).

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: loganfoster

Thank you for your answer. In fact, you're right. a lot of factors affect how much new code you can include from version to version so that users do not get shocked. I've talked in recent days with one of the 3ds max coders, and assured me that never in the 3ds max history have such large financial resources and general resources been taken as it is now. So the 3ds max improvement was taken seriously.

30GB scenes .... I think that even the scenes from the "2012" movie, which are practically entirely created in 3ds max, do not have that much: D

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report