Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max 2018 Viewport rendering issues.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Patan77xD
1330 Views, 7 Replies

3ds max 2018 Viewport rendering issues.

Hi, I am having problems with 3ds max 2018.3 when I have splines in the Viewport and "Viewport clipping on" all other geometry freaks out, z-fighting, lowres, etc. (I need to have Viewport clipping on else the draw distance for near objects are bad)

The same scene works perfectly fine in 3ds max 2015 (save as 3ds max 2015)

Download the test scene here: http://www.patan77.com/download/2018maxstart.zip

Thanks in advance.

Video of the issue:

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hello @Patan77xD and welcome to the community,

When I took the viewport clipping handles all the way up and down then I could zoom into the 1mm space.   I'm getting clipping if I don't adjust the handles more, but no Zfighting here.  Is it maybe a hardware issue?  

What is your goal with this scene?   Also, what is your current graphics card?  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 8

the scene is just my custom maxstart scene with my custom grids setup, my GPU is "ASUS STRIX GTX 780 6GB"

Message 4 of 8

Hello @Patan77xD,

The 780 should be fine.  Did you expand the clipping handles?  Any improvement?

Would you mind putting a screenshot or an updated video link, please?  That video isn't working for me so I'm having a hard time visualizing.  Thanks so much!

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 8

sorry accidentally had the video set as private, the issues should be pretty obvious now when the video is working.

Message 6 of 8

Strange I don't get that behavior when I open the scene linked originally after adjusting my clipping.  Can you attach the scene from the video with the box, please?  

The system unit should represent the smallest level of detail, so on some level if you want mm level accuracy you'll want to use mm for system units.  However then meters will possibly clip weirdly.  Are you trying for a 'one size fits all' solution here?  

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 8

Download scene with box: http://www.patan77.com/download/2018maxstart_box.zip

The scene it should fit most of the things I am doing, I have been using an older similar type of scene for my maxStart that I have made, but re-made a new updated version to use with max 2018 but its messed up for some reason and makes it unusable, maybe I just have to try re make a new version that works, the scale and units should be fine for the stuff I'm doing, always been using cm as system units.  

Maybe its something is wrong with that scene or my GPU drivers or something, because now when I take the 2018 version save as max 2016, 2015 then from 2015 save as 2014, when I try it in all max version (2018,2016,2015,2014) all have the same issue, pretty sure that I tested it in 2015 and it worked when I originally posted, but maybe I didn't test it properly, because cant get it to work now.

Message 8 of 8

Hello @Patan77xD,

If I zoom out far enough I do get some artifacts and when I tick the clipping handle up to the lower line they do go away.   Turning off Viewport Clipping fixes it right up for me.  In this scene using clipping off displays everything perfectly for me at any zoom level but I needed it on for the 1st scene.  

I tested with DX9 and I still saw some of the issue when zoomed way out.  I wonder if this issue is amplified by 4K monitors, from your video it seems you are using one.  I didn't test other driver versions though.  

The outer grid is something like 16000 system units across which would normally indicate you are using the wrong system unit.  Rendering times can take longer when the system unit is too small.  When I set the system unit to feet and reopen the scene the problem is immediately gone.  I think the base problem here is a scene that is too big for the current system unit.  

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report