Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max 2016 sp2 bug with group/ungroup and link/unlink

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
Anonymous
8151 Views, 31 Replies

3ds max 2016 sp2 bug with group/ungroup and link/unlink

-Create some objects, scale them if you want 🙂 

-Create group

-Scale this new group, rotate and move if you want

-Ungroup

Scales reset to original values, but  angles and positions - not 

with link/unlink some troubles 😞 

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
surrealismo
in reply to: Anonymous

same here.... if you mirror a group and after that, you ungroup it, everything mess up.

Message 3 of 32
jneilon
in reply to: surrealismo

We are having the same issue on two different machines with two differnt projects. This is a big issue.

Message 4 of 32
jneilon
in reply to: jneilon

I submitted a bug report.

Heres how to replicate:

Grouping
- Make object
- Scale object
- Group Object
- Scale group
- Ungroup
- Scale bug happens

Linking
- Make object
- Make dummy
- Scale dummy
- Link object to dummy
- Scale bug happens

Message 5 of 32
PROH
in reply to: jneilon

AFAIK the only way to solve it for now, is to uninstall SP2 😞

Hoping to see a fix soon.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 6 of 32
spacefrog_
in reply to: PROH

Yes - a pretty bad bug that slipped through here...

Let's hope for a SP3  and a quick intermediate hotfix until a full SP3 is ready ...

BTW:

The bug is related to hierarchies in general ( which groups are internally ). As soon as you link/unlink an object from a hierarchy, the object transform changes

I noticed that toggling one of the position or rotation inherit checkboxes in the hierarchy panel ->Link Info->inherit rollout TWO TIMES in a row might fix the object transform in question. This might help in simple hierarchis, but honestly i did not test that to much extent

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: spacefrog_

Hi everyone,

Same problem here. Very annoying bug. Does anyone find a workaround ?

Thanks

Message 8 of 32
jandrewg

Same problem.  Reset Scale fixes for basic stuff but for complex rigs this isn't an option.

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous

Well that's rough...

Message 10 of 32
Przemyslaw_Stachyra

I've written about this bug on two Autodesk's Facebook profiles, their Twitter, sent three messages to customer service and I've received one reply "Please, contact your reseller".

For Autodesk to watch:

https://youtu.be/gz5nooD3tPM

Message 11 of 32

Hello,

I can confirm the issue and wanted to inform you that this is already forwarded to the development with a high priority in order to fix that as soon as possible and the development is working hard to get that fixed.

In the meantime I would recommend to uninstall SP2.

I just wanted to let you know guys, that the issues with SP2 are really taken seriously here at Autodesk and we are doing our best to get that solved.

Best Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 12 of 32
aga_architects

My workaround to this issue:

1.Open group

2.Select the group (the lines showing the 4 corners of the group boundary)

3.Under hierarchy-> Adjust Transform tab ->Reset: -> Click Scale

4.Close group

5.Ungroup without issues.

Message 13 of 32
office
in reply to: aga_architects

Imagine doing this each time you work with groups. Ain't nobody have time for that. If there aren't bugfixes and features that you absolutely need, just uninstall SP2 until this is fixed. For me it's problem solved. Now waiting for SP3 or hotfix. Hopefully everything works fine then.

3ds Max subscription customer since 2010
| Max 2022.1 | AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-core | 64GB RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB | NVMe SSD Samsung 960 Pro | Win10 Pro x64 | Nvidia Driver 466.47
Message 14 of 32
aga_architects
in reply to: office

Point taken. By that you mean we are able to easily uninstall SP2, and rollback to SP1? Because I need SP 1 to help with the viewport lag while working with groups.

Best regards,
Vincent Goh
Message 15 of 32

yes. you can uninstall sp2 without any problem.

Message 16 of 32

I did that but then Max stopped launching. After error there was an information that I should install SP2 🙂

Message 17 of 32
PROH
in reply to: Przemyslaw_Stachyra

When uninstalling SP2, you must first uninstall EX2 if it's installed. EX2 needs SP2 to work, and will give errors without.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 18 of 32
mhaZe23

I´m wondering why it takes so long to fix this problem, which was reported early in mid-December.

Going back to SP1 isn´t quite a good solution, because when you reverse back you´d be faced with the "multiple groups massively slow down the viewport" problem. If you do the xform-modifer and collapse, you loose the stack and the instance. You could save down to a former version, loose all the nested layer structure, do your thing, re-open in max2016 and continue. Not nice.

Best workaround somebody mentioned before: Select the mirrored object(s), go to the Hierarchy panel and press "Reset:Transform".

This is a serious bug which makes working with the program useless when you don´t know a workaround. After getting the second ServicePack months after release! Who is responsible for this? And we´re in the second month this bug occured! Where is the fix? Is the programming team too busy with version 2017?

I do archviz work in a small studio, how are you supposed to work reliably with this tool under deadlines? It leeds to the question who takes care of proper beta testing the software under work conditions. Surely no serious workers in the customer business.

Autodesk-Shareholders, you think that´s good stock value?? And soon with version 2017, same procedure as last year?

Message 19 of 32
HM-MercPOC

I am having this issue as well in Max 2016 SP2, and wanted to post a potential solution that seems to have worked for me - 

Issue - Create objects and group them.  Scale the group to a random size.  Click "Ungroup" under the "Group" heading and then all objects disperse in various locations, smaller than what you've scaled the group to.

Solution - What I've found to help is in stead of clicking "Ungroup" to manipulate one of the grouped objects individually, if you click "Open Recursively" (under the same "Group" heading), you should be able to manipulate the individual pieces of that group without losing the scaling that you've scaled the group to.

Haven't taken the time to look up what is exactly happening when doing this, as I'm on a tight deadline atm, but it seems to have provided me the solution I need for now.

Hope this helps someone else.

Message 20 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: office

The only problem is when you've already deployed thé sp2 on 100+ stations..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report