Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max 2016 Grid issue

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
660 Views, 7 Replies

3ds Max 2016 Grid issue

Hi 

I am new to 3ds Max so please bare with me.

I am having Home Grid issues. Please find attach screenshot. The grid expands infinitely both ways. All I did was make a box. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Graeme

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
kennyj
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello graemeNU4CS! Hit "G" on the keyboard to turn off the grid in the current view. Once you have geometry you don't really need the grid anymore (it defines the ground plane). Hope that helps, Kenny
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: kennyj

Hi Kenny

thanks for the feedback. The problem is I do need the Grid because I am making modular Assets for Ue4 and use Grid for power of two dimensions for home Grid spacings.

Is this a common problem with Max, is there anyway to fix it.

thanks 

Graeme

Message 4 of 8
kennyj

Okay! So Shift + Rt Click in the viewport, choose Grid and Snap Settings. Under the home tab, there is a Perspective View Grid Extent option to Limit the size of the grid. Have you tried adjusting this? I would also make sure you are using the Home Grid and not a custom user grid, if it is custom; same thing - just change the size back down to what you need. I think the custom grids will expand to what you have drawn/modeled, so this might be something to check. I am assuming you have already set the customized user units. Hope this points you to a solution! Kenny
Message 5 of 8
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

@kennyj is spot on here.  The only thing I wanted to add was that in ortho view the grid always goes off into infinity, and in perspective view it's 7 or so grid units in each direction off the origin, adjustable in the grid settings.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: kennyj

Thanks Kenny for the help, much appreciated

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hi Alfred

Thanks for the help, yes I had the view in Ortho, when I change to Perspective, the grid changes. Great!

Thanks so much for help, it is very much appreciated.

Graeme

Message 8 of 8
Alfred.DeFlaminis

I'm glad it's working for you now, the grid system takes a bit of getting used to.  Have a great weekend @Anonymous and very good work @kennyj!

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report