Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d orbit not positioned centrally

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
office6PUWT
435 Views, 7 Replies

3d orbit not positioned centrally

I'm working on a file in which objects have been created sokme distance from the origin point, as a result I need to zoom out so far that I can't see anything in order to orbit the object without it quickly drifting outside the view port. I've been trying via the hierarchy to align pivot point and centre to object, also tried right clicking on the co-ordinates to 0 them all but am fundamentally stuck on how to centre my orbit point to an object I would like to work on.

all best

Luke

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Diffus3d
in reply to: office6PUWT

Hello @office6PUWT ,

Select the object and press z.  That should allow you to rotate around it without mucking with the pivots.  However if your system units are tiny and it's far enough away from the origin that might cause other kinds of problems.  

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 8
office6PUWT
in reply to: Diffus3d

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

Just getting back to this after a week or so away and am convinced there is some setting still preventing me from viewing the scene easily. I tried your Z then orbit tip but as before I can only move things up and down within the view port. I have attached the file in the hope that you can identify what on earth is going on here.
many thanks

Luke

Message 4 of 8
Diffus3d

Can you save it down to 2021 for me?  That's the latest version that supports all the plugins in my current projects pipelines.  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 8
office6PUWT

Hi there, many thanks have attached a 2021 version of the file for you.

cheers

Luke

Message 6 of 8
Diffus3d

I'm not having any problems in here.  Pressing Z allows me to rotate around the object as described above, not locking anything.  Are you using some kind of 3D mouse or something?   Maybe your settings are corrupted?

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 8
office6PUWT

I'm using the same mouse as always worked fine until now. But created a plane in a new file to test and am having the same problem. Either obiting very slowly as if from a great distance away or juddering and not moving at all.

Can you suggest any way in which I can check/fix for corrupted settings and would these affect all files or just be specific to one?

many thanks 

Luke

Message 8 of 8
Diffus3d

I've not seen this one before.  Usually if settings are bad it's an all or nothing sort of fix.  Some things that *might* be part of the problem:

• Mouse DPI is too high, try reducing it if it's a super high res gaming mouse.  That might explain the stutter but won't explain the weird pivot location. 
  • Reset settings, might explain both.
  • Your graphics card is not supported.  Not likely, but possible.  Or, you have two cards and 3dsmax is using the integrated one instead of the PCIe one.  I usually disable integrated gpu's on the bios level.
  • You have some kind of program running in Windows which is constantly polling the viewport.  For me Adobe's Acrotray sometimes does this.  Also, the Putty service in unity.  

As a temporary fix you might just go into subobject level and select a vert, then press Z.  It should absolutely rotate around that vert for you.  Since it's a body object, you can just put an edit poly on top.  

Beyond these things, I think the problem isn't coming from 3dsmax but from Windows somehow.  Stuttering is usually a sign of a hardware problem. (Or drivers, etc.) 

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report