Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D max 2015 Blue Screen with Vray 3.40 on AMD Ryzen 1800x

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1707 Views, 10 Replies

3D max 2015 Blue Screen with Vray 3.40 on AMD Ryzen 1800x

Hello everyone,

In our studio we have just got a new workstation.
Specs :

Gigabyte Main Board Desktop AX370-Gaming K5 Socket AM4

AMD Ryzen 1800x

DDR4 64Gb CRUCIAL

SSD 240gb KINGSTON

700w HIGH POWER

GTX 1060 6GB GIGABYTE

After installing 3D max 2015 with Vray 3.40 like on our other 3 workstations, we noticed a problem while rendering, after ~10 mins the PC gets a blue screen and shuts down. 
This only happens while rendering.
We have tried a couple of tests, if we render only a segment of the image it works fine, also if we render the full image but in low resolution ( 1000 x  ... ) it works again, but above 2500 x ... it just shuts down getting a blue screen.

Any ideeas on what could cause this problem ? 
Thanks,
Alex

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
fla3d
in reply to: Anonymous

The only idea I could come with is to try updating to the latest VRay and also post this problem in their forum.

You could try render something with Mental Ray to see if you have the same problem.

Message 3 of 11
DarrenP

did you look up that blue screen error code on the internet? that will give you some clue what the issue could be

quite possible your computer is overheating when rendering

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 4 of 11
darawork

Nice workstation. Good to see Ryzen chips rolling out. The Epyc chips look amazing. I've read some good early reviews. Some have 64threads per chip? 🤔

I haven't read any builds yet, with either chip. So I don't know what weaknesses they have, temperature wise or general software compatibility issues. But they are big cpus, from the pictures of them. I'd heating issues, same as above, using the motherboards utility software. And air-flow issues. No accidental back-to-front case fans.

How are you cooling it?

I've had to watercool my last two home PCs. Those 10series cards give off a lot of heat, they're physically big.

What size case is it all sitting in?

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 5 of 11
darawork

*I'd check

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

I am facing this same problem.

I have a rig with the following configuration -

Ryzen 1800x

32GB RAM @2400MHz

PSU Corsair HX 750

Gigabyte AX370-Gaming K7

Windows 10 Pro

I use this PC for 3d animation and heavy rendering but as it happens, it gets restarted on its own during rendering.

I thought it could be voltage related issue hence I tried locking voltage input (at 1.375) and clock frequency  at 3.8GHz (disabling XFR feature)

I have already downloaded and installed all the latest AMD drivers including AMD Ryzen Power Plan, AMD Ryzen Master utility, Windows 10 anniversary update, Gigabyte BIOS F4

But still the problem persist.

Did you happen to find any solution ?

P.S. I am rendering a scene in 3ds Max 2014 and 2017 with Vray 3.40.01

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

same exact issue as well

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

i assume you didn’t look up the blue screen error code or post on the v-ray forum?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Yes I did look it up, I'm pretty sure it was a hardware problem. I still have this strange issue with artifacts whenever I using fusion 360 on the GTX1080 I have tried two diffrent 1080s with the same results on different motherboards.

I experienced blue screens, crashing and artifacts on the AMD Ryzen. On my 3rd Gen Intel i7 it runs very stable but I get tons of artifacts whenever I do anything graphically intense in fusion. Only in fusion!

I Just have to live with it for now 😞

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Yes I did look it up, I'm pretty sure it was a hardware problem. I still have this strange issue with artifacts whenever I using fusion 360 on the GTX1080 I have tried two different 1080s with the same results on different motherboards.

I experienced blue screens, crashing and artifacts on the AMD Ryzen. On my 3rd Gen Intel i7 it runs very stable but I get tons of artifacts whenever I do anything graphically intense in fusion. Only in fusion!

I Just have to live with it for now 😞

Here's my current hardware which produced these screenshots

https://valid.x86.fr/bg6b3j

Curves are not round! I'm going crazy having to deal with this.

ser.PNGAnnotation 2019-01-04 115202.jpgwrf.PNGwwwtff.PNGAnnotation 2019-01-04 111745.jpg

Message 11 of 11
DarrenP

this is the 3ds max forum 

have you posted this on the fusion 360 forum?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report