Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2023.2 Broke my scene

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
ehren.addis
2703 Views, 25 Replies

2023.2 Broke my scene

Updated to .2 and now I can not load a scene.  The CPU pegs at almost 100% usage and it freezes opening it.  I can merge some objects, but not all of them.  There wasn't anything special about those objects.  Uninstalled and reinstalled max 2023.1 and everything works as expected.  Please allow for a dot release uninstaller if they're going to fail this spectacularly.

No bueno.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
JezEmin
in reply to: ehren.addis

Dang...... I'm now regretting installing this update...... I am trying to open a simple scene I'm working on (nothing at all big, we're talking about a small 5mb scene file.... and it won't open......it stays stuck at 73% open (finalizing load).

How does Autodesk manage it???????

-------------------------------------------------
3d rendering services
Asus X299-SAGE, 7980xe @ 4000mhz, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro,
1Tb Samsung M.2, 128Gb Corsair LPX DDR4,
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
3DS Max 2023.1 (3DS Max 2022.3, 3DS Max 2021.3 as backup)
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 3 of 26
JezEmin

On the face of it, it seems to me that scene files which were created using 2023 are the ones I cannot open.  I can open older scene files created using 2019, 2022 etc.......

3d rendering services
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 4 of 26
faiktofur

I confirm the issue. Same here.

Message 5 of 26
JezEmin

PLEASE CAN AUTODESK FIX THIS ASAP - I DO NOT WANT TO UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL MY SOFTWARE BECAUSE YOUR UPDATE IS BROKEN.

3d rendering services
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 6 of 26
Grace.Tevlin

Same issue here.

Message 7 of 26
Libei.Wang
in reply to: Grace.Tevlin

Hello @Grace.Tevlin , @ehren.addis and @JezEmin,

Thank you for reaching out to us.  Can you share your scenes with us?  Do you use Chamfer in the scenes that cannot open?

Sorry for this inconvenience. 

Libei

Libei Wang
Sr QA Analyst for 3ds Max
Message 8 of 26
DanielCantin

Hi @ehren.addis @Grace.Tevlin @JezEmin @faiktofur 

We suspect the issue might be cause by Edit or Editable Poly chamfer, can you confirm if that has been used in your problematic scenes.

Does somebody with the issue can share a scene that we could investigate with? (can PM privately)

Daniel Cantin
QA, 3ds Max
Entertainment Creation Products, DCP
Message 9 of 26
fpatry
in reply to: DanielCantin

Same problem here. Just lost an hour of trying to figure the problem. I'm so sick of that ****...

Now how do I revert to 2023.1?

Message 10 of 26
JezEmin
in reply to: DanielCantin

@DanielCantin ,

Highly likely that I did use Chamfer in Edit Poly, though often I use the Chamfer modifier.  But, yes, it wouldn't surprise me if Chamfer in Edit Poly has been used.

Please fix ASAP, thank you 🙂

3d rendering services
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 11 of 26
DanielCantin
in reply to: JezEmin

We received a problematic Max scene from another post, we are looking at it: URGENT - 2023.2 update cannot open scenes created previous 2023 version?

We also have a customer that is confirming our suspicions: 

Chamfering any edge on an open mesh causes 3Ds Max 2023.2 to hang up and load CPU to 100%
specifically when the chamfering edge is touching the border of a open mesh.

Sorry for the inconveniences, we are looking at the issue.

Daniel Cantin
QA, 3ds Max
Entertainment Creation Products, DCP
Message 12 of 26
ehren.addis

Awesome.  I've been away from my desk.  I could merge objects until reaching one that was an edit spline and edit poly in the stack from the previous version of the app.  Then it would hang.  Yes, I'm sure I used the chamfer in that edit poly modifier.

Message 13 of 26

On behalf of the 3ds Max team I wanted to share with you that we are aware of an issue that is preventing some scenes and mesh data from loading into the recently released 2023.2 update. We are all as disappointed by this issue as everyone else is, we care deeply about 3ds Max and about you as a customer and the expressive content that you create in 3ds Max to tell creative stories.

Thanks to the help and support of the 3ds max community we have received numerous sample scenes, have tracked down what is causing the issue, and are working on a solution that we can deliver out to the world soon so that you can have confidence and enjoyment in 3ds Max 2023.2. We thank you for your patience and support.

Logan Foster
Product Owner at Autodesk, 3ds Max

Message 14 of 26
sqwert

Perhaps if you tested your updates a bit more.

The only use I have for Max is the auto retopo tool.

Because I dont enjoy trying to select edges on a weapon mesh with 140k verts, trying set to edges to hard.

Its just so slow.... 

Message 15 of 26
holson43EEE

I'm experiencing the scene hang up today.  My urgent working files would hang up at 69 to 73% and not open.  FIX it now!!!

This is wasting time I DO NOT HAVE.  I am missing my deadline today and client is not pleased. 

Message 16 of 26
riperbot
in reply to: holson43EEE

You can roll back to 3ds max 2023.1 from 2023.2, just uninstalling only 3ds max and install 2023.1 again. All installed plugins and scripts will be fine. It helped me.

Message 17 of 26
billnuttall

I can confirm the problem is the Chamfer modifier. Spent two dayings banging my head against the wall on this. As soon as I turned it off (didn't even need to delete it from the stack), the file opened.

Message 18 of 26

I am pleased to share that an update to 3ds Max, version 2023.2.2, is now available to download through the Autodesk Desktop App (ADA) or through the manage.autodesk.com download portal. This update resolves an issue with Chamfer operations in 3ds Max 2023.2 which resulted in the software entering an endless loop and becoming unresponsive either when loading files (locking up at 73% load) or when applying a Chamfer (through the Chamfer modifier, or Editable Poly or the Edit Poly modifier) to edges that connected to an open edge on your mesh data when using “Limit Effect”.

On behalf of the 3ds Max team I would like to thank everyone who took the time to share their scenes and report this issue to us, your help enabled us to quickly confirm and resolve the issue.

I would also like to take another opportunity to apologize for this issue. We are all as deeply disappointed as you are that this issue shipped with 2023.2, and we hope that with 2023.2.2, and future releases of 3ds Max, will resume the positive trend of releases that provided the stability, features, and functionality that assists you to create expressive content and share creative experiences in your work.

Logan Foster
Product Owner at Autodesk for 3ds Max

Message 19 of 26

Hi Logan,

Thanks for the update. Just any idea when we get a fix for the XFORM modifier in Max 2023!!??

Please see the link below:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/xform-modifier-bug/td-p/11421443

Thank you
Message 20 of 26
raiden_xavier

Hi @ehren.addis,

The issue has been addressed in the 2023.2.2 update.

Can you confirm this is the case and mark this thread as solved?

I hope you are well and that you can share what you have been working on sometime!

Many thanks!

@Grace.Tevlin 
I hope the question you asked gets answered in the thread you posted.

Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report