Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Objects animated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
565 Views, 5 Replies

2 Objects animated.

I have an airplane and a propeller. Both are animated. I want to work on the prop. Is there any way to freeze the airplane animation while animating the prop? I suppose I could link the plane with a camera and apply a constraint so that the camera viewport makes the prop appear to be animated independently, but is there a way to freeze one of the animations?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ekahennequet
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an airplane and a propeller. Both are animated. I want to work on the prop. Is there any way to freeze the airplane animation while animating the prop? I suppose I could link the plane with a camera and apply a constraint so that the camera viewport makes the prop appear to be animated independently, but is there a way to freeze one of the animations?

Thanks

Hi.

If you need to have the airplane object static and visible, I'd recommend using a Snapshot tool. This will create a static copy without the animation.

1. Select airplane and go to Tools menu and choose Snapshot. Choose Range and enter frame where youd lie to create your copy.

2. Select your original and Hide Selected.

You can do few things if you simply want to hide objects:

a) Select the Plane object and right-click, Hide Selected. Also available in Display Tab in Command Panel.

b) Select the Propeller object and go to Tools Menu and choose Isolate Selection or Alt + Q. Also available via right-click MB.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: ekahennequet

Seemed that there wasn't going to be a response, so I animated a camera to
move with the plane and animated the prop. But thanks, I'll use the
snapshot next time.
Message 4 of 6
Steve_Curley

A prop just spins along its own axis - make it, animate it then Select and Link it to the plane. Snapshot is a useful trick, but you shouldn't really need it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks to both of you.

Message 6 of 6
ekahennequet

I think I misunderstood the question. Steve's suggestion is much better. 🙂 Sorry you didn't get a response.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report