Community
3ds Max Design Visualization Workflows
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max design visualization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max 2016 - Revit FBX Linking

61 REPLIES 61
SOLVED
Message 1 of 62
Anonymous
11789 Views, 61 Replies

3ds Max 2016 - Revit FBX Linking

I have the new 3ds Max 2016. I seem to be having serious problems whenever I try to link in a Revit FBX file. For the past several versions now I export my FBX out of Revit and then in Max I set system units so 1 unit = 1 foot and I set up display units as feet as well. But it seems that when I do this in 2016, my building comes in HUGE!! What I mean by huge is my building should be 150' x 100'...instead it comes into Max as 4,568' x 3,048'. What?!?!?! Has anyone experienced this problem? I have also tried other system units and it still will NOT come in right. The only way that I have managed to bring it in at the correct size is by straight importing it. I do not want it imported as the Architect keeps changing things, so I want it as a link. Any ideas? Or am I stuck until Autodesk pumps out a fix? Or is it just me? Thanks in advance...

61 REPLIES 61
Message 2 of 62
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I am embarrased to say that I think I should have just been linking the RVT files directly. Seems to work fine that way and I get to keep my active link. I always thought the fbx way was the best way to do it, but maybe not...
Message 3 of 62
Anonymous

I am having the same problem as well. Were you able to sort it out? Seems this might be a bug in the File Link Manager. I think there are a lot of advantages to linking an FBX rather than the Revit file directly, but right now this feature is not usable due to the scaling issues.

Message 4 of 62
Anonymous

No, I did NOT get this problem resolved. The FBX linking part is completely un-useable. I am with you, I like linking FBX files far better than linking the rvt file. I have been told that linking rvt files directly is still creating an fbx file, it just does it behind the curtain and is more automated. I tried to just link the rvt files directly, and at first that seemed to work fine. But, as soon as the Revit file changes (and we all know that is going to happen), then problems arise. When I try to reload the changed Revit file, Max comes up with a dialog that says the fbx file is empty! What?! The dialog has an ok and a cancel. Regardless of what you click, the revit geometry disappears from the scene. If I try to reload a second time it usually comes back, but all of my material assignments and uv's etc. are gone! I like the new features of 2016 and I think that Autodesk is definetely going in the right direction, but until they issue a service pack and fix these problems I cannot use it. It is, imo completely unuseable. They seemed to destroy one of the parts of the program that has worked flawlessly for years. I suppose you could use it if you didnt depend on the ability to link in Revit files, but that is 90% of the type of work that I do, so I had to go back to using 2015. At least now I can link FBX files back in with zero problems! So, I will eagerly await for Autodesk to issue a service back or something (hopefully soon). Good to know it isnt just me! Good luck...

Message 5 of 62
Anonymous

So I got it working by setting my System Units to centimeters. This is under Customize/Unit Setup/System Unit Setup.

Yes, linking Revit is basically just doing the FBX link behind the scenes. It might take slightly longer to set up the separate 3D views and export, but the usability on the back end far outweigh the time loss.

Here's a good discussion about this same topic on CG Architect. Anything Scott Schroeder writes is gold:

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/77917-preparing-revit-files-import.html

Message 6 of 62
Anonymous

Wow Bnorkin...thanks. That does work! I would have never thought to try that, so kudos to you. I still hope Autodesk addresses this as we shouldnt have to use centimeters. But as long as I can still use feet and inches as my display units, and it appears that I can. I think I will try that dwg tip that guy had...interesting. Thanks again!

Message 7 of 62
RyanCameron

I've noticed the same issue.  Try checking the box for LOD and the checkbox next to that when you export.

I still don't think that'll solve the problem, but it started working for me.

That being said, it'll probably be an update sometime soon.

RB Cameron, AIA, LEED AP, EDAC
Digital Practice Leader

Message 8 of 62
Anonymous
in reply to: RyanCameron

I've hit this issue as well and it seems to be a core problem with Max. If you want to see something funny try this. Start Max, create a 10x10x10 cube. Export that as an FBX. Link that FBX back into your file and you get a cube scaled 3048%. Which is the conversion on my system, feet, to centimeters. This doesnt happen in 2014, nor does it happen in 2015. So what the hell?

Even funnier is creating a linked FBX in Max 2014 or 2015, open that in 2016 and refresh the link. Ka-blammo! Your object is now scaled again to centimeters at 3048%!

If you select the object and in the modifier stack, you hit reset position, it resets the scale to 100% and the object goes back to the correct size. You can refresh the link all you want and you'll retain the correct scale. However, this is a pain in the arse for multiple objects.

Message 9 of 62
Anonymous

Yeah, I really wish Autodesk would issue a service pack already and fix these issues! They added some really good things to the 2016 version that I would love to use...but unfortunately they managed to also screw some very major things up in the process that wasnt an issue in any of their previous versions. You are right though, you can select individual objects and do the "Reset Position" and it will fix the scaling problem. Now if there was a way to do multiple objects all at once that might be a possibility. My Revit FBX files have WAY to many objects to make that feasible though. So, I will eagerly await a service pack or a fix. Good luck to you.

Message 10 of 62
Anonymous

Well...I waited all this time for Autodesk to issue a service pack so their new "great" version is actually useable. Now they finally issue a service pack and max 2016 is STILL unuseable!! This is well beyond frustrating. I am beginning to think they dont know how to fix it! These problems (imo) are completely unacceptable. They took a program that used to work pretty decent and completely destroyed it. It isnt worth anything for architectural visualizations. I guess the best we can hope for is they do a better job on the next release or maybe I will just go to a different software package. Maybe this one has reached retirement. Still hoping for fixes that will actually fix the problems...but am losing hope very quickly. Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 62
NSD01

Yes it is still pretty much unusable for arch viz. the scaling issue is a big let down. Also in some of my files I am noticing another problem. Using the clone option on right click is causing max to crash. 

Message 12 of 62
Anonymous

Well, I have installed the SP1 for 3dsmax 2016 and still no change. Reload of the linked revit file is still losing the majority of the model with a seocnd reload bringing everythign back but losing all material assignments. I think its safe to say the 2016 version is unusable and will remain that way until the 2017 release. Id argue its grounds for potential refunds for selling damaged software at an exorbitant price.

Message 13 of 62
ott
Explorer

I think that people should start thinking of all that as a legal matter. We have bought expensive product about what we knew it works. It does not and it seems that nobody cares. Its called cheating and stealing, so why we should tolerate this?

Message 14 of 62
Anonymous

Hi guys - think I (or rather our in-house revit guru) found the solution to the FBX scaling issue.

When Revit exports a FBX it's refering to your pc measurement setting and my OS was installed with default English(USA) and imperial settings..so when you export the FBX file (feet) and link it to Max (metric units), there is a scaling issue.

So, as soon as I changed the pc measurement setting, the FBX link worked perfectly.

To get to this setting: Go to Control Panel - Region & Language - and change Format: English (South Africa)...that's where I live..hehe

And click on Additional settings at bottom of window: make sure the Measurement setting is Metric.

Now open Revit and re-export the FBX file and link into Max (both display and system units set to mm)

..only a pleasure..

(I tried linking in a .Rvt file and even though the scaling is correct, it only brings in part of the model, with the dreaded red flag shown next to the link in Max. Fbx just more robust)

Message 15 of 62
Anonymous

I also installed SP1 for Max 2016

Message 16 of 62
Anonymous

Ok - ignore my previous post..that also didn't work..

Workaround: Import any fbx file through the normal importer and check that unit setup is mm. The scale of the imported geometry should be correct. Now if you file link a fbx through file link manager, everything seems to be working fine...even if you do a reload..

Message 17 of 62
Anonymous

Someone else here mentioned that you can set your System Units to centimeters and your display units to whatever and the scaling issue goes away. Granted, that works but...we never had to do this before. I am in the United States, we dont use metric here! I think it is beyond ridiculous to have to set everything to metric to work. I have actually given up on 2016 and went back to my 2015 design version, it actually works like it is supposed to. From where I sit, I am not even sure if Autodesk really cares about these problems. If they do, then they have a funny way of showing it. The SP1 didnt fix any of this stuff. I suppose I will have to wait for 2017. Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 62
JamesClarke3D

We're just running in to this for the first time now that our architects upgraded to 2016. It seems that for us, while the centimeters 'workaround' at least makes things come in at the proper 'physical scale' (3' wide doorways instead of 100') it still gives the objects a non-100% scale factor (3048%) which then makes working with maps& uvs set as 'use real world scale' not very useful. 

In addition to the earlier linked cgarchitect thread, I found this one, specifically post #20 that has an interesting idea I'm going to try and test, apparently they're thinking it has something to do with your computer's regional measurement system settings (Control Panel > Region and Language > Additional Settings…  > Measurement System dropdown options). Since somewhere along the lines things seem to be hardcoded to metric, I'm wondering if I set that to metric (despite being US with Revit files in feet) things will work. 

---------------------------
| LinkedIn | @SnipeyX |
Message 19 of 62
Anonymous
in reply to: JamesClarke3D

Please let us know if that actually works. I didnt really want to change that setting, but I guess I could. Not sure if I am real excited to having to use metric in Max...I like Imperial. But if that is the only way it will work, then maybe. Autodesk doesnt seem to be very concerned with fixing this "new" problem that they have created!

Message 20 of 62
Anonymous

I saw that post from cgarchitect as well. I guess my main concern (if it is one) is those settings are set when the operating system is installed, which all of the software obviously runs under. I dont really know exactly what those settings control. I suppose if it fixes the Max problem, that would be good. Does it do anything to Revit? Or would Revit be running Metric as well? As far as Max goes, as long as I can still run with my display units set to feet and inches I would be happy, not sure if I could do that or not. I may just go and try this. Sorry for the double post...guess I dont know how to come back and edit these once posted.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report