Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting animated vertex's in the Curve editor, and in viewport

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
899 Views, 3 Replies

Selecting animated vertex's in the Curve editor, and in viewport

Hello.

Im currently having an issue, and im hoping you can help me.

I have a modelled object (a tent) that i have animated using the cloth modifier.

Ive completed the cloth modifer process and have created Keys along the associated timeline, to make it look as though its fluttering in the wind.

along apart of the timeline, i wish to add a manual vertex animation inorder to open and close the tents Door flaps.

However, attempting to do so doesnt work given that the cloth modifier has created keys per keyframe.

so what am i asking?

I wish to select individual vertex's on my animated model, and select that vertex animated data in the curve editor, and delete segments inorder for me to manually animate each vertex by hand.

When i go into the curve editor, openning object/tent/object (Editable Mesh)/Master point Controller and selecting individual vertex's. the selected vertex's do not appear in the viewport.

I wish to be able to select the desired vertex's in the viewport, and have them selected/highlighted in the curve editor so i can either delete their individual animations or edit them so i can manually animate a segment of the animation by hand.

Im not sure but i dont think this is a feature in 3dsmax where selecting 1 vertex in the viewport, will select the vertex in the curve editor and vise versa. i show this in the screenshots.

vertex 1 is selected, but how do i know which vertex that is on the model?

Please help.

thanks xxx

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
leeminardi
in reply to: Anonymous

If you select only one vertex then its number will be shown in the Selection pane.  Does this help?

v1.JPG

lee.minardi
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: leeminardi

Iam aware that when you select one vertex, that its number appears, however when you're dealing with a selection of vertex's especially alot of them, you need to be able to adjust things as a group and not 1 by one.

thank you for your kind reply and screenshot. i appreciate it alot.

It seems im stumped with how im going to animate openning and closing of my tent Door flaps, given that ive already applied all the keys per key frame from the cloth modifier. Id hate to think that i have to adjust 1 vertex per keyframe, and not being able to select a group of vertices, and simply go into the curve editor where they should be all selected, so i can apply an end frame and a resume frame for the cloth animation, so i can apply a manual vertex animation to open/close the door flaps in between, and therefore after the animation sequences of the doors are finished, the animation resumes with the cloth animation.

If i select the desired vertices, i cant delete the key frames in the timeline either given that it destroys the entire Objects animation, so i need to be in the curve editor, but as you say, it seem i have no choice but to do 1 vertex at a time, which will take me an enternity. hehe.

I think Autodesk has missed a feature here.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Update.

Ive just finished animating the Tent on my Viking longship, with the door flaps openning and closing. Its taken me a good few days to do, and not best pleased with the workflow needed to achieve this.

I had to search each and every vertex individually in the Dope sheet and edit them 1 by 1.

Im very lucky i did not do a high poly version, as this would have been impossible to do, else.

If autodesk is reading this. Theres a missing feature in 3dsmax which would make things alot simpler and smoother.

The ability to select ALL vertices in the viewport, and have them highlighted/grouped inside the curve and dope sheet.

This would save alot of time selecting 1 individual vertex at a time, figuring out their vertex number and having to search through the curve and dope sheet. that excludes having to edit the keys for each that are spread throughout the entire curve/dope sheet.

this could easily be fixed and made alot more simpler, and less time consuming.

Thank you for all who have read this post, and replied. Xxx

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report