Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scattering

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
3761 Views, 2 Replies

Scattering

I have some trees and bush models I'd like to scatter on my plane. But, I can only select one and choose scatter. And when it scatters, it'll create another plane with all the objects on it. So now I have two planes: one with all the objects and the original.

Here are my steps:

1) Select tree.
2) Create->Compound->Scatter
3) In the modifier list, set the duplicates to 20.
4) Selected "Random Faces" in Distribute Using
5) Selected "Pick Distribution Object" and clicked on the plane.

How would I duplicate more than one object on one plane (my original plane)?
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

That's the object's normal behavior. Open up the display section (I believe it's called display) of the scatter and uncheck the option to display a second copy of the distribution object.

- Neil
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks! Works great now. I have another question though. I'm trying to create an outdoor environment... I have trees, bushes, and rocks. I can just use scatter to scatter them all around the plane, but I'm having a problem for grass. I've read two very nice tutorials:

Using Hair and Fur modifier:
http://www.lemiere.com/tutorials/tutorials_rendergrass.html

Using your own grass object:
http://radoxist.com/grass_tutorial.html

The Hair and Fur one looks very nice, but it seems to be uniform throughout the plane. The one with grass objects is nice too, and it also allows you to specify where you want thick grass area and thin grass area (unlike the hair and fur one). Is there a way to make the grass not uniform using the Hair and Fur method?

I would also like to have wind bend my grass, but I'm not sure if bending would work with grass objects. Also, my computer isn't a very powerful computer, and I'd like to reduce the amount of memory used for rendering. I'm not sure which of these methods is best for that... Reducing usage of memory and still have an extremely realistic animation (I tend to get the infamous "Out of memory" error when trying to do too many things).

Anyway, which method would be the best to do what I want to do? Thanks!

I use 3ds max 9.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report