Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate Wrist and Have Forearm Twist Automatically (CAT Rig)

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
itsWooki
1697 Views, 2 Replies

Rotate Wrist and Have Forearm Twist Automatically (CAT Rig)

I am rigging the wrist and forearm area of my CAT rig character and discovered that I want a way to "twist" the forearm when I rotate the wrist. Adding multiple bones in the forearm instead of having just one works well (See Image 1), but going in by hand and rotating each of the forearm bones all the time is impractical.

So, What I am looking for is this:

When I rotate the wrist/palm bone, I want the multiple forearm bones to rotate with it automatically, along just the one axis. Additionally, to create the desired "twisting" effect, I want each bone in the forearm to rotate a certain weight/percentage of the palm bone rotation, where the forearm bone closest to the palm bone rotates almost as much as the palm bone, and the forearm bone closest to the elbow barely rotates at all (See Image 2).

After watching/reading some tutorials, I am assuming to pull this off would require the use of the Wire Parameter stuff. If anybody knows how to go about this and is willing to help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated! 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: itsWooki

CAT does this automatically for you if you select the Forearm, go to the Modifiy Panel and increase the Segments in the Bones Setup Rollout:CAT.JPG

Message 3 of 3
itsWooki
in reply to: Anonymous

WOW lol. Hadn't even thought of that. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report