Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mechanical Rigging - Two Arms

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
erik.markstaedter99
509 Views, 5 Replies

Mechanical Rigging - Two Arms

Hello there,

Last night I met this problem. I wanted to connect/link two rotation Tubes with a door. So that if I move the door the things would rotate, but I have no idea how to do it and I also looked up everywhere but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance if you have an explanation or any link to other post or video!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi @erik.markstaedter99,

a tool to do such a setup would be to use Wire Parameters

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-B084D14B-2925-4EA6-890F-4F2564BB9D9A

Wire Parameters can link different parameters together, so modifying one would modify another (or more).

Message 3 of 6

It is a bit difficult to determine from the picture the exact behavior you expect from the mechanism.  As I read it the pivots for the links A and B are fixed and the door pivots about a point below the picture.  Yes?  Does the link coming from A extend?  If so a LookAt constraint might work. The linkage at B looks like a standard 4-bar linkage which can be easily rigged with an HI IK Solver. 

Please provide more detailed info about the linkage, or better yet a file, and I can provide more details about how to rig it.

d1.png

lee.minardi
Message 4 of 6

What you replied is what I actually imagined. I will give LookAt Constraints a go. Here's the file anyway and also two pictures of before and after (done without rigging) how the door is supposed to move

File: https://mega.nz/#!USQmBQwB!7hdYqerTF-FMPUeLuyb6MfeiVRAnq3brd59vP3CG83M

Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the reply! I tried this method, but I can't select multiple positions axis (This case: X & Y Axis) for a single rotation axis (Z in this case). I posted the file below. Take a look if it is more helpful

Message 6 of 6

I've rigged the right side door as follows:

Select and rotate Doors_Big and you will see the linkage at the top articulate as it should. Rotating Object15 repositions the pivot point of Doors_Big and the rest of the links move accordingly.

I had to reposition the pivot points of Doors_Big, Object15, Object22, and object23 so that they we in a proper place for a linkage.  I also removed the Wire Parameters.  I recommend using a logical naming scheme for all your model components. The top links form a 4-bar linkage (door, the 2 links, and ground). The bottom link simply repositions the door.

To see how to model a 4-bar linkage check out this video I created some time ago.  The action of the bucket is similar to the 4-bar linkage you have at the top of the door.  Note, it isn't necessary to use bones.

d2.png

lee.minardi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report