Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loop animation from certain point

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
paul.cox
895 Views, 2 Replies

Loop animation from certain point

Hi. I'm making a simple key frame animation of an exploded product assembly, and I need it to loop mid-animation. So, for example, the product will disassemble (frames 0-50) and then begin it's operation, basically parts rotating (frames 51-200). I want it to loop the operation section of the animation, and so it basically only runs the disassembly once and then stays in the operation loop. I hope that makes sense! This is an animation that I will be taking into UE4 and will be triggered by an event, and I would like it remain in the "operating" state until the user triggers another event. I'm not terribly experienced in animation, so layman's terms would be hugely appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
10DSpace
in reply to: paul.cox

hI @paul.cox 

Just a thought here, but since you have 2 distinct parts to the animation,

1. (frames 0-50) where the product will disassemble which you only want to run once and

2. (frames 51-200) when begin it's operation, basically parts rotating which you want to run continuously in a loop until the user (in UE4) triggers an event, 

I would suggest treating them as separate animation sequences.  I have no specific experience with UE4, but these game engines  are designed to capture user-triggered events and then run animation sequences based on specific events.  I would think that they also have the ability to loop animations as well.

So unless I am not fully understanding what you want to do, why not render the above as 2 separate animation sequences and take them into UE4 where you can use the User triggered events to drive which sequence is run and whether it is run once or looped?    Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 3
paul.cox
in reply to: 10DSpace

Thanks @10DSpace - I realized this soon after posting, but couldn't see how to delete my post. In my defense, it was 2am and I wasn't entirely thinking straight 🙂  

Appreciate your response!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report