Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IK Solver bends bones the wrong way

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
derek.mallard
2204 Views, 3 Replies

IK Solver bends bones the wrong way

It's a pretty simple situation here.

I'm in 3DS Max and I'm using the HI IK Solver for the legs of my character. Most characters I have works perfectly with the IK Solver when I move their "Hip" bone up and down, their knees bend like they're supposed to.

But, a couple of character models I have do not work as well and they're no different then the working models. When I move the Hip bone up and down, their knees either bend sideways or a just a bit sideways. The models are also T-Posed and their legs are as straight as they can be.

(Also, I'll need a little help with arms and wrists as well. I use the Limb Solver for them, the issue is that the elbow bone doesn't rotate the right way when I move the wrist bone. The shoulder bone is the starting point with the elbow bone being in the middle.)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ads_royje
in reply to: derek.mallard

Hi @derek.mallard ,

when creating a bone chain for an Ik Solver, they should not be strait. There should always be a little angle, so the solver 'knows' how to bend.
If you remove the Ik solver and give the bone a little angle, then recreate the Ik solver. This little angle will tell the solver what side you expect the solver to bend.
Always give a little angle for Ik Solver preferred angleAlways give a little angle for Ik Solver preferred angle

For the second question, about the arm setup, I am not sure I see what you are describing, could you do a screenshot of your setup, something that displays the problem ?

Regards,

Message 3 of 4
derek.mallard
in reply to: ads_royje

Hahaha, okay. Such a big fuss and a very small simple solution to fix it with. Thanks again!

And also, since you told me the solution about the bones needing to be bent, I think I can apply it to the next issue.

1.png

Message 4 of 4
ads_royje
in reply to: derek.mallard

Thanks for the screenshot @derek.mallard ! 🙂

Yes, from that I am with you, looks to be related.

Let us know if you encounter any other issues!

Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report