Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Child/Parent For Crowd Helpers?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
derek.mallard
490 Views, 2 Replies

Creating a Child/Parent For Crowd Helpers?

Hi,

I've been a game modder since 2013. I've gotten into replacing video game character models with ones from other games since that time and I'm still going at it. But, this isn't the case.

I have a 3DS Max scene with a skeleton from one of the video game characters I play with and I'm using that skeleton for character posing rendered at 4k resolution. What I'm doing now is facial rigging, I'm nearly done with it but, I've just noticed that I need to have some certain "Helpers" as "child helpers".

Let me explain.

1.jpg- This is the skeleton that I'm using and is made up of "Crowd Helpers". 

(I use crowd helpers to rig my imported models from other video games, but I'm not doing that right now)

- As you can see it's already got parents and child helpers made from the previous character that was using this.

What I'm trying to do is create a child for one of these helpers. Cloning a helper is very different and is not the result I want.

So, the true story is that I have this helper called "JAW" and I need to give it some child helpers so I can rig the bottom lip of my character properly.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
lorddavius
in reply to: derek.mallard

You wan a child helper (which means it has to be linked) on the exact same position of the parent object? If that's all, then do this:

for i in selection do
(
	HLP = point pos:i.pos
	HLP.parent = i
)

If you want them to be also oriented to your parent, do this

for i in selection do
(
	HLP = point()
	HLP.transform = i.transform
	HLP.parent = i
)

Select all your objects and run the script.

Message 3 of 3
derek.mallard
in reply to: lorddavius

@lorddavius wrote:

You wan a child helper (which means it has to be linked) on the exact same position of the parent object? If that's all, then do this:

for i in selection do
(
	HLP = point pos:i.pos
	HLP.parent = i
)

If you want them to be also oriented to your parent, do this

for i in selection do
(
	HLP = point()
	HLP.transform = i.transform
	HLP.parent = i
)

Select all your objects and run the script.

Yeah...I don't know...

I thought to create a child helper was just by just clicking on the parent and there would be some kind of option for adding another helper, just like using bones. But, I do have another way of adding child helpers. It requires me exporting my model and importing it to another program unrelated to any autodesk programs.

It's used for modding a certain game, I can just add as many bones as I want anywhere on the skeleton.

Then I would export from that program and re-import it to autodesk and convert the bones as dummy. (Which are crowd helpers) I appreciate you trying to help me out though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report