Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling UVs through a Bone

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
brandtahoward
492 Views, 1 Reply

Controlling UVs through a Bone

Yo guys,

I am making a character with oval eyes and the best way I can find to animate them is by moving the UVs. I was wondering if it is at all possible to rig a UV modifier up to a bone (I am currently using CAT) in order to animate the UVs (preferably in a fashion similar to this: https://youtu.be/pvLG4rmkB8A) and be able to export it into Unreal.

If there is a better or easier option, please let me know.

If this is impossible, I will start sculpting round eyes instead cuz I've been trying to figure this out for years.

I have also been told to just animate the material inside of Unreal, since we already have it hooked up to a Material Instance that controls the UV offset for the X and Y of the UVs, but it'd be easier for me to animate eye animations inside of 3DS Max.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
fla3d
in reply to: brandtahoward

You can add an UVW Xform modifier and then use wire parameters to link the U and V offset to a bone rotation. You'll just have to rebuild the link in Unreal Engine as showed in the video.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report