Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animation changes between Key-frames

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
k.bachani
412 Views, 1 Reply

Animation changes between Key-frames

I have one parent object and 4 child objects. The 4 child objects are the legs (using a HI solver to animate them). I animated the parent object to move 45° anti-clockwise on the Z-axis. This moved the children object as well, I moved them back to their original spots and keyframed it. But my children objects don't stay in the same spot between keyframes, they move into the parent object and then move back out. I only have keyframes on frame 0 and 10

Frame 1Frame 1Frame 5Frame 5Frame 10Frame 10

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: k.bachani

Hi There, 

It seems like what you are trying to achieve is keeping the feet planted while the body rotates it that correct? If the legs are children of the root bone that you are rotating then the children will always follow the parent. What you need is another level in your hierarchy. 

I downloaded your scene and made some modifications to it. I added a shape called "MainRoot" and aligned it with  your existing "root" bone and then linked your existing hierarchy under the new parent. Next I disconnected the wire parameters that you had setup for your look-at helpers (the ones labelled "helper Bone") and I linked them to the IK feet controller instead. Then I moved your feet up one level in the hierarchy so they are no longer parented to the root, but they are parented to the "MainRoot"

Now when the "root" rotates, the feet stay planted and the body rotates. The other thing I recommend is organizing your scene so that objects are labelled in a way that is easy to tell what is happening. Hope that helps!

PS. my apologies for deleting the geometry in your scene, but if the geometry is not deforming, you should be able to simply link it to the required bones instead of skinning. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report