Did you mean: 

Selection gets slow

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
351 Views, 4 Replies

Selection gets slow

Hi everyone!

I am wondering if anyone knows the cure for my problem: sometimes in the middle of drawing, when I try to select entities using the simple window crossing method it gets real slow both before it selects things inside the window and both after completing the selection.
If I quit the drawing and reopen it, the problem disappears.
Can I solve it without exiting and reopening?

Thank you in advance!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Anonymous

If it's only after you've been working in the same drawing for some time, it might be a matter of too much Undo information being stored. I have a little pull-down menu item to dump all of that and start over:

[Undo Reset]^C^CUNDO C N;;;

That is, Undo command, Control option, None, then Undo again, accepting the All option default. You can try that manually next time it happens, to see whether it works, before putting it into a menu location somewhere. But of course, you only want to do it when you feel sure you won't want to undo anything back past where you are.

--
Kent Cooper

sunchase wrote...
....sometimes in the middle of drawing, when I try to select entities using the simple window crossing method it gets real slow both before it selects things inside the window and both after completing the selection.
If I quit the drawing and reopen it, the problem disappears.
Can I solve it without exiting and reopening?
Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Ok,thank you very much, I'm waiting the problem to attack again, and then I'll give it a try!

Have a nice day!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Hi Kent!

Now did the problem rise again, and I tried what you advised, but I'm afraid it's not the cure for this:( It's strange, because until now i used to believe that it was one of my own programs that caused the trouble, but this time I did not use any of my own ones...But I have an overlay program for civil engineering drawings. May it be the reason?...and another essence is, that after a few minutes of using the problem vanishes by itself.
Message 5 of 5
Kent1Cooper

Maybe there's something completely unrelated, such as a periodic in-the-background virus scan or an automatic software update, that monopolizes your computer processor's resources for a while, now and then. That happens to me at home, with an automatic virus-check-library update that happens within the first few minutes every time I turn the computer on. But it only slows other things down for a few seconds, and it puts up a notice that it did its thing when it's done so I know that's what it was, and it never does it again prior to shut-down.

--
Kent Cooper

sunchase wrote...
....I tried what you advised, but I'm afraid it's not the cure for this ....and another essence is, that after a few minutes of using the problem vanishes by itself.
Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report