Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Design - Cannot Copy iParts or IPNs

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
785 Views, 7 Replies

Copy Design - Cannot Copy iParts or IPNs

Running a Vault Copy Design on a fairly complex assembly involving many iParts, drawings and presentation files.  For the iParts and .ipn's Copy Design is only offering the Reuse option with the exception of the top level iAssembly that we are running the Copy Design on.  Is this known behaviour?  See the attached PDF that illustrates the three basic issues we are seeing.  This behaviour is consistent across users, workstations, and project files.  Can anyone help?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
akarlsso
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you resolve this?

I'm having the same issue so if there is a fix I'm all ears

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: akarlsso

We pursued this issue through Imaginit until we had a fairly clear answer back from Autodesk.  The answer is that Vault Copy Design does not support copying iParts/iAssemblies within assemblies.  Apparently Vault expects or intends that iParts/iAssemblies are originating from libraries and should always be reused.  A document is attached that details a process we use at times to replace the Vault Copy Design.  Additionally it was explained to us that to configure assemblies like we were trying to do with iParts/iAssemblies should be done using iLogic instead.

Message 4 of 8
akarlsso

Thanks mate, I'll have a look at this to see if it can be a work-around for me too.

Message 5 of 8
tmoney2007

Thanks for the heads up, I'm sure that this will come up for me sometime soon.

Realistically, at the very least you should be able to replace an iPart/iAssembly with any of the other members.  In truth, you should be allowed to replace it with any file you would like.

I understand why you shouldn't be able to copy a member file.  I've been pretty disappointed with the copy design tool from what I've seen.  The others on the software selection group at my company were totally enamoured with it.

The good news is that they're working on a brand new copy design app.  The bad news is that it is still pretty early in the development process, so it might be a version or two before it sees the light of day.

Message 6 of 8
akarlsso
in reply to: tmoney2007

I got the ilogic route to work finally with a little help from the support.

Two enhancement request has been submitted to get copy design to work in Vault and one to get ilogic copy smoother, lots of steps to do to get everything to update correctly when involving derived parts, iParts and drawings into the copy process.

Message 7 of 8
tmoney2007

I think I have some requests in as well on the subject.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Glad to hear you found a way around the problem. If its possible could you please post the ilogic code, i would greatly appreciate it due to having the same problem.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report