Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding center of gravity

77 REPLIES 77
SOLVED
Message 1 of 78
haydenwse
19230 Views, 77 Replies

Finding center of gravity

In AutoCAD when I needed to find the center of gravity for a shape I would create a region of the shape and use the mass properties to find the C.G.  is there any way to find the center of gravity for a shape in Revit?

77 REPLIES 77
Message 21 of 78
L.Maas
in reply to: bradwitt

So what is your question exactly?

What is described in the post above is to run a dynamo script (see screenshots). It requires that you pick and object in your project and it then place a family type in the COG of the chosen object.

In newer Revit versions Dynamo is already installed. For other versions you can download add-in from dynamobim.org

In Dynamo you can create the script and run it

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 22 of 78
bradwitt
in reply to: L.Maas

Correct, I am able to select a wall and it works, but if I select a generic model family it does not. When I select it, the Element.Geometry shows an "empty list". 

Message 23 of 78
L.Maas
in reply to: bradwitt

I am not sure why that is. The element.geometry node seems to have problems with getting the geometry of the selected element. It might have to do how the selected element is created. 

Sorry, but I do not have a quick solution how to solve this. Might be better if you head over tot Dynamobim.org. They have a good forum with Dynamo experts. Possibly that they can help you better

Louis

EESignature

Message 24 of 78
bradwitt

Thank you for the feedback, I will post it on the board there. Thank you
again
Message 25 of 78
Anonymous

Why do I not get an option for COG:COG in the family types drop down?

Message 26 of 78
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

COG is a family (with a family type also named COG) that is loaded in the project.

You can create your own family that will be used as the center of gravity symbol

Louis

EESignature

Message 27 of 78
Anonymous

How would I do this? Im not very experienced when it comes to making my own families etc

Message 28 of 78
L.Maas

You can also use an existing family. Something that looks oke to you, to be used as center of gravity.

However it would also be advised to get some training (books, video courses, classroom) to get more familiar with Revit and creating families

Louis

EESignature

Message 29 of 78

Hi all, I wan't to pick in on this topic instead of creating a new one.

I was also looking for a script for finding the geometric point for floor plates, walls, ...

I used this one from the topic, when I run it I get a result but everytime the family has been placed on the ground level, even if my model element is on a higher level as you can see on the screenshot.

Am I missing something maybe in the dynamo editing mode or something about my family maybe?

Message 30 of 78

Maybe you can upload your project and I can have a look at it? (which Revit version?)

Louis

EESignature

Message 31 of 78

In attachment I have the file, where I wanna the use the script for on the floorslab and the concrete walls. It's maded in revit2018

Thx on advance.

Message 32 of 78

I have looked at your file. If I run the script on a wall I get the center

COG.png

In your file you did not have the element you used for the COG (zwaartepunt).

Is it possible that that element was hosted (e.g. workplane, face)?

Attached the  script I have used

Louis

EESignature

Message 33 of 78

Yes, the family 'zwaartepunt' that I had maded was a generic model 'face' based.

What kind of family should I make then?

Message 34 of 78

When I tried your script with my family 'zwaartepunt' on a concrete wall I see that there some errors in the script. Also for on the floorplate.

Does your script also work on the concrete wall and the floorplate(foundation slab)?

Message 35 of 78
eng.mostafa2414
in reply to: haydenwse

Please check below link
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/screencast/Main/Details/75d...

Mostafa Elashmawy
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 36 of 78

Thx, for the link. But could it be that the dynamo script is not completely visible in the video?

With the script I use given here before I'm almost there. When I test it with a random family it's on the right position if you look from the top side.

But the symbol is always at height elevation 0,00 even if the floor or wall is situated on a higher level as you can see on screenshot.

Just don't know how to get the presentation of the family at the exact gravity point.

Message 37 of 78
Anonymous
in reply to: eng.mostafa2414

Hi,

Can i get the script for CoG, showing XY value would solve my problem big time.

I tried different way but didnt work out. ive attached dynamo file for your reference.

Message 38 of 78
Anonymous
in reply to: haydenwse

Attached is a video of a new Add-in soon to be released that solves this problem CG Finder 2017. It will place three model lines at the location of the CG of the element. Expect this add-in to be released for 2017 by 6/10/18 as a free Add-In. It will be soon followed by a release for 2018 Revit.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/890c1b5b-f1fe-49f4-8c64-93d853f00e85

Message 39 of 78
haydenwse

How do I get this?

@Anonymous wrote:

Attached is a video of a new Add-in soon to be released that solves this problem CG Finder 2017. It will place three model lines at the location of the CG of the element. Expect this add-in to be released for 2017 by 6/10/18 as a free Add-In. It will be soon followed by a release for 2018 Revit.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/890c1b5b-f1fe-49f4-8c64-93d853f00e85

Message 40 of 78
Anonymous

Thanks for the update.

Can I check with you is it possible to calculate COG based on weight not on mass?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report