Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Precise Pipe Fittings?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
471 Views, 5 Replies

Precise Pipe Fittings?

The generic fittings aren't precise enough for the needs of the company I work for. What is the best way to get exact pipe fittings in Revit?

Here are the things I've tried so far:

1) I tried downloading a package of fittings for Revit that were made by an actual manufacturer, but the objects weren't able to flex, so they were essentially useless. 

2) I've been in the family editor, and I keep finding that the perameters I want to change (I.E. - length of a reducer) are grey and cannot be changed in the family editor. 

So I've begun research on Type Catalogues to see if I can use that method to get the exact shape and size of the fittings I need.

Is there a better way to make precise fittings? Is delving into the lookup tables and type catalogues the only way to accomplish this?

Thanks! 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Anonymous

If you are using a newer version of Revit, you may have to open each of the Manufacturer's Families prior to loading them into a Project. This is because the Lookup Table structure had changed and the Lookup Table is now stored in the Family itself. Most manufactuerer's Families were created in previous versions (for compatibility) and directly opening the Family file should upgrade it and embed the Lookup Table into it. Give that a shot and see if it helps.

>>Managing Lookup Tables<<

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for the prompt response!!

Luckily, that method worked well with the first package of fittings I had, but I have a package from a second manufacturer that is giving me more trouble. 

The instruction PDF for installation is complicated, and it was written as instructions for 2013-2014. So for me, using 2015, I'm not quite sure what applies to me, or if this package isn't compatible at all.

I'm most confused by the fact that this package doesn't include anything other than the .rfa files.  

Here's a link to the directions:

http://static.victaulic.com/assets/uploads/cad_packages/Instructions/Revit_Project_Upgrade.pdf 

Any advice/ suggestions?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Sorry that link isn't very helpful, I've attatched the PDF with the instructions.

The issue that I'm running into is that the fittings will open in the family editor, and they can be loaded into the project, but they can't flex. The sizes appear in the dropdown menu, but when I click on a different size, the piece disappears, and I get an error message saying that Revit can't build it. 

I suspect that this is an issue having to do with the lookup tables or perhaps more specfically a missing formula that controls flexing?

I'm doing some research on formulas, but I'm not 100% certain that's even the issue. 

Message 5 of 6
CoreyDaun

I'm not quite on Revit 2015 yet, so I cannot test. I would suggest that you try to follow these instructions in Revit 2013 or Revit 2014 and see if they work there. that is, of course, assuming that you have that software accessible to you. Otherwise, could you attach a sample Family here?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

The fitting families are only as good as the manufcaturer who built them. I have encountered many corrupt families that simply do not work for what I am trying to do. I would get in touch with Victaulic and see if they can offer you any support. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report