Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing .stp files into Revit MEP 2013

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
23210 Views, 7 Replies

Importing .stp files into Revit MEP 2013

How do I import a STP file into Revit MEP 2013?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: Anonymous

At this time, I don't believe there is a direct way. Having said that, Revit can import .sat files, so depending on what software you are using, you may be able to export to .sat., then import that into Revit. Another way would be to import the .stp file into AutoCAD, export to .sat, then import into Revit.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Dear Chris,

I have been invloved in one of our large scale underground hydropower project in Switzerland. Since two years we have been using Revit software. We are working with a lot of suppliers (not on this project only) which delivery to us i.e. turbine design in *.stp file format. We have been encounter a lot of problems with perfomance once we linked dwg files to Revit (*.stp with Autodesk Mechanical to *.dwg format and later on to *.rfa -> *.rvt). Once the file with size of 26MB is imported to Revit becomes 200MB "heavy". I have been wondering if there is a plan in the future to inlude (by Autodesk) a tool to improve this kind of processing of the data (*.stp > Revit).

I would be appreciate for feedback.

Your sincerely,

Marcin PILARCZYK
BSc in Civil Engineering

AF-Consult Switzerland AG, Hydropower
Täfernstrasse 26 | CH-5405 Baden | Schweiz
Direct: +41 (0)56 483 17 44 | Fax: +41 (0)56 483 17 99
marcin.pilarczyk@afconsult.com | www.afconsult.com

http://ch.linkedin.com/in/pilarczykmarcin

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

When i import step into autocad en export it as a sat file all materials and colors dispapear.

Is there another way to import external product files into revit with having all materials with it ?

menline-logo.jpg

Menno de Vries

MENLINE Technisch tekenbureau

www.menline.nl

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Is this still not possible at all? STP is a fairly widely used format.

Message 6 of 8
rj
Participant

+1 here

Trying to import Victron components into the model in Revit 2016. Only .stp or 3dm available (for those relevantin this project).

For Christ's sake, some interoperability please.

Richard

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

What you said is correct. Will it be possible for the third party softwares (ie. Soldworks) to use a less detailed model to drastically reduce the size of the working file. In Solidworks there is an option to create a 'dumb solid', not sure about the name, but it generally takes out all the unnecessary items for said object. 

Now wouldn't it be wonderful if Revit can do the same thing without having to explode the object.

Message 8 of 8
fabiosato

Hello,

If you use Inventor, you can simplify the geometry and export to .adsk format, which can be opened directly in Revit, but the Inventor version must be the same or earlier version used in Revit.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report