Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Revit do lighting calculations

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
2655 Views, 16 Replies

Can Revit do lighting calculations

I've been asked the question whether Revit can do lighting calculations to replace the use of programs like Relux. I know there are photometric web files in the fittings, are these used for calculations, or merely for rendering purposes?

I can't find it in help sections or tutorials, but I've seen calcs referred to on forums. Is this possible and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Elvis
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Revit will not give you what you are looking for. Stick with Relux and don't waist your time.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

Thanks, Margaret. Does this mean it doesn't have a calculation tool, or it does and it's not very good? I think my boss has been told it has one by resellers, so I have to now find it and demonstrate it to rule it out.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

We've just purchased Autodesk Ecotect for use in energy, daylighting, acoustic, and other analysis. But, until we're comfortable with anything ADesk puts out will still rely heavily on AGi, LitePro, & IES.

~BMC~
Message 5 of 17
jason.martin

Revit MEP doesn't currently do "point-by-point" calculations. In product functionality related to lighting calculations is limited to the "Zonal Cavity" method.
Message 6 of 17
arcticad

Not that I can put too much stock in my Sales Rep.
They claim point by point will be available in a "summer" update.

I'll be amazed when I see it.
---------------------------

(defun botsbuildbots() (botsbuildbots))
Message 7 of 17
jason.martin

If such promises are being made please let me know who your Sales Rep is. If you would be more comfortable with it please feel free to email it to me privately at jason dot martin at autodesk dot com.

jason
Message 8 of 17
clippincott-CL

Jason,

Any idea when point-by-point calculations will be available in Revit MEP?

Thanks.
Message 9 of 17
jason.martin

Unfortunately there is no information related to point by point lighting calcs in RME that I can share right now.
Sorry.
jason
Message 10 of 17
MattKincaid
Message 11 of 17
s.borello

If your lighting fixture families are built correctly you will be able to get the average FC of a space but not point to point calculations... there is an add-in from AGI32 called elum tools that will allow for point to point calcs. 

Message 12 of 17
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: MattKincaid

I second elumtools. A great software (Revit plugin) and does all design-related functions. You get what you pay for.

Revit is too coarse... no emergency lighting and it assumes the lowest fixture in a space to determine the height of all fixtures. For example, if you have a wall-mounted fixture at 7'(e.g. emergency light) and the other fixtures are at 12', it assumes all fixtures to be at 7'. 

It looks like the same person who implemented HVAC load and energy simulation did the lighting implementation.... it would be better for Adesk to eliminate all those features and concentrate all energy on features to make them actually useful for design. 

Revit version: R2025.2
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

It can do lighting calculations with the insight addin, but they are nowhere as helpfull and accepted as lighting calculations made with Relux or Dialux. And doing a lighting analysis for a big project can cost you cloud credits (if I'm not mistaken) while Dialux (and I think Relux as well) is free of use.

Message 14 of 17
Mehmet.KARLIOGLU

Hello,

We can do lighting calculations with revit, but it doesn't do point calculation as mentioned. Calculates the lux value on a field basis.

In the projects we did in Turkey we have made this calculation with Revit soft state.

Smart elements need to be created correctly, sometimes the calculation can not be done due to files with corrupted photometric values ...

Revit program lighting calculation formula does not have an international validity and autodesk does not have such a claim as far as I know. When compared with other calculation programs, the calculation values are close to each other.

I find this calculation quite successful. We also calculate lighting power density (w / m²) according to Leed criteria.

Message 15 of 17
HVAC-Novice

another issue with REVIT lighting calculation is that it can't deal with LED ies files. LED lights use absolute lumens. 

Before I used elumtools I ended up just using a generic ies file with the correct total lumen number. obvioulsy this is questionable regarding light distribution....   that alone is a deal breaker since the proprietary light distribution data are crucial for lighting design. 

The plugins (e.g. elumtools) can use LED ies files. You really should give this a try. it does everything a professional standalone lighting software does, but integrated in Revit. 

Revit version: R2025.2
Message 16 of 17
MattKincaid
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

The issues with absolute photometry were mostly fixed in Revit 2019.  But there are still some caveats to be aware of.  This blog post does a good job of outlining.

https://bimchapters.blogspot.com/2018/04/lighting-in-revit-2019-lightfair-2018.html

Message 17 of 17
MuirEng
in reply to: MattKincaid

We use Elumtools as well.

side comment: I've been experimenting with Revit and Elumtools for street lighting projects. The goal is to unify the software environment for both drawings and the calculations. Our standard method is AutoCAD and AGI32.  If anyone is interested in discussing that please PM me or open a new topic. 

Brian Muir, P.Eng, Muir Engineering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report