Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit a fitting family to other diameters?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
DareDaniel
1312 Views, 9 Replies

How to edit a fitting family to other diameters?

I'm using the families created by Valsir. 

http://www.valsir.it/en/modelli-revit/non-categorizzato/modelli-revit

My problem with these families is that the fittings don't adapt to any diameters other than the ones that come in this template. I'm able to create new pipe diameters in mechanical settings, yet I've no idea how to add a new diameter to, for example, an elbow fitting.

I will share a template file in which I created a new diameter of 150mm. Can anyone help me on how to add that size to the types accept by elbows?

pipes.JPG

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
hmunsell
in reply to: DareDaniel

the parameters that control the fitting size are in the dimensions tab. they do not look like they are associated to the Lookup table like they should be.

Capture.JPG

normally you would tie the diameter of the extrusion to the radius of the connector and have that tied to the lookup table. this is a nice "looking" fitting, but but is is way over designed for what it needs to be. Revit fittings do not need to be hollow, it gives you nothing for your analysis except a larger model.

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
julia

I am using Poongsan fitting family.  It is tied to a lookup table,  all the correct sizing in the table for the 45 degree ftg I am trying to use.  However when I attempt to join two pipes at 45 degrees Revit doesn't use the correct 45 degree fitting.  Instead it alters pipe location and tries to place 90 degree fitting.  I think it might be due to my diameter listed in family types and connected formula? Any info would be helpful 

Capture.PNG

Message 4 of 10
iainsavage
in reply to: julia

Unless the Angle parameter is constrained by another parameter which isn’t shown on your screenshot then it should flex to the actual angle made by the pipes.

Check in mechanical settings if you have the pipe angle option set to “use specific angles” with only the 90 degree option checked.

iainsavage_0-1629319141095.png

BTW having the default Angle set to 1 degree is unusual, it would normally be 90 degree default.

If this doesn’t help upload the family so that we can open it and check all the settings.

Message 5 of 10
julia

julia_0-1629380526707.png

Capture.PNG

 This family came from a project file setup overseas.  If it was my own I wouldn't use this poongsan family.  

I adjusted the 1 degree to 45 from your suggestion, it still did not make the family cooperate.  The diameter numbers being 250mm seems to be the issue to me.  If I drag this fitting into my project it automatically appears as 250mm and is a frozen parameter at that size.  

Message 6 of 10
julia
in reply to: iainsavage

I did not reply to your comment correctly.... oops

Message 7 of 10
julia
in reply to: iainsavage

Correction I tried 90 degrees at first then 45 since the fitting is a 45.  Neither worked

Message 8 of 10
ToanDN

@julia wrote:

 This family came from a project file setup overseas.  If it was my own I wouldn't use this poongsan family.  

I adjusted the 1 degree to 45 from your suggestion, it still did not make the family cooperate.  The diameter numbers being 250mm seems to be the issue to me.  If I drag this fitting into my project it automatically appears as 250mm and is a frozen parameter at that size.  

The family is poorly built.  Just changing the Radii to a different value and it breaks.

Message 9 of 10
julia
in reply to: ToanDN

Appreciate the heads up I had a feeling it was the family

Message 10 of 10
iainsavage

I changed the default radius to 8mm in the family and it seems to work in my test project but only at 45 degrees due to Angle 1 and Angle 2.

iainsavage_1-1629404764784.png

It is however a fairly complex family.

I'm using 2021 so I can't send the family back to you.

iainsavage_0-1629404572061.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report