Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't attach duct fitting family to existing fabrication duct

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Marc_L_
151 Views, 2 Replies

Can't attach duct fitting family to existing fabrication duct

As per title, I have made a duct fitting family for a purchased part, as I couldn't find a suitable CID(That's supported in Revit) to make as a fabrication part. I am new to Revit and have likely done something wrong while creating the family, as I am having several issues with it. My main issue being that I am unable to connect it to MEP fabrication parts that are already placed in the drawing, however I am able to connect MEP fab parts to it after placing. Also I can't rotate before placing, pressing spacebar seems to switch connectors, and pressing up to switch connectors seems to do nothing. Family is attached. Any advice is appreciated

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
iainsavage
in reply to: Marc_L_

As far as I know that's expected behaviour if you mix Revit .rfa families with fabrication parts.

I'm pretty sure that you need to drop the fitting into the model, then orientate it, then drag it onto the fabrication duct connector, then drag the duct connector (or long press on the connector) to finalise the connection between components. I don't think they really intend you to mix Revit families with fabrication ducts so the placement and connection is not as intuitive if you use only Revit duct/families or only fabrication duct/parts.

You should however be able to create customised fab parts using Fabrication CADmep?

Message 3 of 3
Marc_L_
in reply to: iainsavage

Placing it, then connecting it does seem to work, and while not perfect, at least it's something, so thank you. I should be able to rotate before placement though, no? 

I would love to be able to create it as a fab part, but you have to start with a pre-existing pattern and modify it. I can't seem to find a pattern that I can modify into what I need. Visually 929 is pretty close, except the round connection is for pipe, not duct, and also on the wrong side. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report