Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an Area Tag to Report Calculated Values

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
IMCornish
1626 Views, 3 Replies

Using an Area Tag to Report Calculated Values

I am probably 'shouting into the wind' with this but I would be pleased if someone can suggest a way forward.

I am aware, I think, that you cannot have a calculated value in an area tag, since you cannot add calculated parameter values to an Area, only shared parameters.  So I want to tag an area, which I am calling a 'Development (Building) Footprint' Area, with some information based on the projected cost of building a square meter of floor.  In my case I wish to create a number of 'dwelling' footprints and tag them to show the likely cost of building them.  I am aware that the base information of cost per square meter I will have to manually enter but I would like this to be 'type driven' so I do not have to write it in for each dwelling footprint area type. I also have an instance value for the number of floors (assuming all floors have the same footprint) but I want Revit to multiply the cost per meter by the number of floors and the finally the available area to give the projected build cost per dwelling.  The final issue of the area is also an issue in that my footprint includes the thickness of the external walls so I also need to subtract the area occupied by the external walls using a thickness factor maybe?

All suggestions much appreciated, thank you. 

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: IMCornish

You can combine different parameters in formulas in the schedule to obtain these results. But, at the end, you won't be able to display a calculated value in the area tag anyway. Therefore, as an alternative., you could show an integer (as shared parameter), indicating a type of area. Then, in the schedule that integer can be used in formulas, combined with calculated values, to obtain different resuls, using IF staments, such as if (type of area = 1, ...) . This will allow you to make these calculations and see the results in the schedule view, while the tag will show just the integer that refers each type of area to the other information in the schedule.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 4
IMCornish
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo, thanks for the suggestion, which I followed but am remiss in coming back to you.
Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 4 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: IMCornish

OK. Thanks for the update.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report