Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trusting Autodesk

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
727 Views, 29 Replies

Trusting Autodesk

Hello all Autodesk has done the AEC industry (and some others) a huge service over the past two decades and more or less single-handedly revolutionised our professions. But they remain a corporation driven by capitalistic self-interest. And not just any corporation - they are the Microsoft of the construction industry. For this reason we only do ourselves a favour to ask the tough questions some on this NG and elsewhere are asking. 1. What is the underlying argument for the new annual upgrade policy (other than to make more money I guess)? Does this really mean that a product I purchase today will no longer be supported in two years time? I can only imagine how disruptive this would be for large users. Are governments, which typically take two years to make any decision, going to stand for this? Also, I have to say, some of these "upgrades" are too minor to be taken seriously - what was the major difference between Revit 6.0 and 6.1, for example, to warrant a disruptive transition for a firm with 100 seats? 2. What is it with the lack of specific data that people are asking for? Do shareholders at least know what percentage of the market Revit has so far captured? I think this is an important point for professionals - a strategic choice between using one software platform versus another has to be made (Revit vs. ADT for example) and we are not unreasonable to want to know how the market is responding to these products. Market forces (and software tidal waves emanating from Richmond,VA) have destroyed perfectly decent software before. In today's environment you are out of a job if you mark ADT on your resume and it suddenly disappears from the market. I don't know if this is the right place for these questions but I thought I'd have a go anyway ...
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

1. Subscription is looked at as a way of increasing revenue and ensuring a regular stream of it. Everyone wants in on this concept. The movie industry, music industry. For good or bad - every industry has ideas about a "Rental Society" rather than Bush's vision of an "Ownership Society". I expect software in cars to start going the way of subscription so they can get you coming into the dealer yearly.... Rumor has it that Adsk even had a program where the "pens" ran out after so many lines and you had to buy more.... 2. Yep. 3. I'd love to know Autodesk's numbers... sure would make my stock purchases simpler. "Victor" wrote in message news:41dd8f81_1@newsprd01... > Hello all > > Autodesk has done the AEC industry (and some others) a huge service over the > past two decades and more or less single-handedly revolutionised our > professions. But they remain a corporation driven by capitalistic > self-interest. And not just any corporation - they are the Microsoft of the > construction industry. For this reason we only do ourselves a favour to ask > the tough questions some on this NG and elsewhere are asking. > > 1. What is the underlying argument for the new annual upgrade policy > (other than to make more money I guess)? > > Does this really mean that a product I purchase today will no longer be > supported in two years time? I can only imagine how disruptive this would > be for large users. Are governments, which typically take two years to make > any decision, going to stand for this? Also, I have to say, some of these > "upgrades" are too minor to be taken seriously - what was the major > difference between Revit 6.0 and 6.1, for example, to warrant a disruptive > transition for a firm with 100 seats? > > 2. What is it with the lack of specific data that people are asking for? > > Do shareholders at least know what percentage of the market Revit has so far > captured? I think this is an important point for professionals - a > strategic choice between using one software platform versus another has to > be made (Revit vs. ADT for example) and we are not unreasonable to want to > know how the market is responding to these products. Market forces (and > software tidal waves emanating from Richmond,VA) have destroyed perfectly > decent software before. In today's environment you are out of a job if you > mark ADT on your resume and it suddenly disappears from the market. > > I don't know if this is the right place for these questions but I thought > I'd have a go anyway ... > > >
Message 3 of 30
Anonymous

I would have to disagree with the statement that "everybody wants in on this concept" in regard to subscription. I believe it would better be stated that "all companies want their customers to be on subscription programs". I am not certain the consumers really feel it is in their best interest. Granted I understand the benefits of getting regular updates and staying ontop of new technology releases but I just cannot be convinced it truly as good of a deal as touted to be. Much like a lease, and while it has short term benefits, in the long run it is a terrible way to spend your money.

Numbers? My friend I believe you have asked the $150 million dollar question (or whatever Autodesk paid for Revit). Who knows? 🙂

My 2 cents.............

Baron
Message 4 of 30
Anonymous

> Does this really mean that a product I purchase today will no longer be > supported in two years time? I can only imagine how disruptive this would > be for large users. Are governments, which typically take two years to make > any decision, going to stand for this? Also, I have to say, some of these > "upgrades" are too minor to be taken seriously - what was the major > difference between Revit 6.0 and 6.1, for example, to warrant a disruptive > transition for a firm with 100 seats? I have never really understood this argument about support for software products? How long do you expect ADESK to support a specific release? 2 years is obviously not enough, how about 5, or maybe 10? All products in all industries stop getting support after some time. I just had a part on a space heater in my house go out. The heater was 15 years old, so the part is not available any more, bummer!, but that is just the breaks. It is just part of industry in general. Ford is not making parts for Model T's any more either. This must be some grand conspiracy against the consumer to force us to upgrade our heaters, our cars, our software! When will the madness stop! The computer and software industry changes very rapidly so it is not to surprising the life cycle of the products and their support is very short when compared to more durable goods. Maybe this is the problem people have, a piece of software really doesn't wear out like other things. You can effectively use it forever. However, you should expect it to be supported forever. Subscription programs can be compared to outright purchase based on the value a user gets by keeping up to date, new features available, etc... But to bring in the argument about support is unfair. If the changes to the software are minor as you indicate then is upgrading really a "disruptive" event? Our office is on subscription and have found it to be a good way to insure our office says up to date. If we install the regular upgrades the changes do not seem to be disruptive to us. If we only upgraded every 3 years or so I could imagine this being very disruptive. Regular update of software is far less disruptive than waiting. We are better able to budget IT spending knowing ahead of time our software cost and when it is due to be paid rather than being forced into upgrading because of a "sundown" on a software product. So I guess in response, I do trust ADESK. They have been around just about as long as the PC has and have provided users with a industry leading product. I may not agree with everything they have done or will do, but for the most part I have been a happy user. Jeff Hanson
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous

> Also, I have to say, some of these "upgrades" are too minor to be
> taken seriously - what was the major difference between Revit 6.0
> and 6.1, for example, to warrant a disruptive transition for a firm with
> 100 seats?

Yes, yes it was. Going from 6.0 to 6.1 was well worth it. Also, not being a Revit user, you might not understand the orders of magnitude less of fuss, problems, and overhead involved with upgrading to a new release of Revit as opposed to some of Autodesk's other products.

And another thing to keep in mind is that the longer you wait to upgrade, and the more complex the system your upgrading, the larger the pain in doing so, no matter what system you're using.

A firm of 70 I worked at before went from heavily customized AutoCAD R14 to 2000i. It took them a full year and someone working full-time on nothing more than re-writing all of the LISP customizations, for much of that code came from when they were using 12 and the person that had wrote it was long gone by the time 2000i came 'round. Now they are looking at going to 2004, and probably face the same year's worth of overhead to transfer. Oops! 2005 just came out, looks like they are gonna miss that one. And for what? Why did they spend so much upgrading? By going to A2000i we now had, what, four, maybe five new things that actually benefited the users, and a lot of stuff that they would never bother using or learning about? Sad thing is that those of us that knew AutoCAD well enough could work almost just as fast without the customization, more or less, and now a lot of it has become largely redundant with some of the new features in 2004. So in the end they would have been better just dumping it and working out of the box. But because they have sunk so much time and money into it they feel like they need to keep soldering on...

That said, I don't think the yearly release cycle is a good idea at all for AutoCAD or ADT. The transitions are just going to be too disruptive I feel, and the migration time involved too painful and complex for many firms to want to make that a yearly cycle.

A yearly cycle works for Revit because it's still a maturing product, and the yearly upgrades tend to not disrupt our way of working or our 'customization'- in this case our content. I have Revit families I made with 3.1 that still work with no intervention at all...

> 2. What is it with the lack of specific data that people are asking for?

Well, I think it's a couple of things, law and the SEC being part of it, and also the fact that they don't have to tell you a thing, so they don't. Autodesk is a commercial software company. They don't owe you a thing. All you pay for when you buy their software is permission to use it under their terms. If those terms don't work for your business, then you have to find an alternative. And that's all there is to it, really.

There are no sure bets. Ever.

So, for example, a lot of my personal business is heavily based upon Revit. And let's say that the ADT faithful's fantasy of Revit suddenly going away comes magically true, and I'm left in the cold. Well, knowing ahead of time that this could happen, I'm always on the lookout for other applications and ways to migrate data. I'll find something that I can use instead. Probably ArchiCAD. But by thinking ahead, paying attention, and understanding the Risks and rewards involved, I can minimize the pain Revit's sudden disappearance would cause, while enjoying the rewards and making hay while the sun shines.

Or, let's say I heavily base my business upon an Open-Source solution instead, because I'm too paranoid to trust a company with my software and I want to believe in the illusion that I'll be able to use it forever for free. Oh, wait, but I don't make that software, I'm just downloading it and using it. And I'm not smart enough to write software myself. And the main developers for the product all go and start working on other things, so the project stagnates. Or all of a sudden the non-profit that distributes the software gets sued over a software patent, and now everything's in legal mumbo-jumbo, and now nothing happens with the software for years. So now I have to learn how to write code, or hire someone who does, and keep working with that product or I have to jump to something else.

There are no sure bets. You either pay someone to handle something for you and give up some level of control, or you do it yourself, and that's always the way it is. And I'm pretty certain that your money spent on ADT is a drop in the bucket to Autodesk. Maybe with VisonRezWhatever you would have more 'clout', like we Revit users did back when it was Revit Inc, but unless you're a very very large company I doubt that Autodesk will take your private business needs into consideration when they are figuring out their business plans...
Message 6 of 30
Anonymous

Sir Even a minor upgrade can cause major disruption (read Jeffreys post). I dont know the size of your organisation but in any case you have so far been upgrading in 2 or 3 year cycles. When they regularise this annual BS you may not find it so amusing. Are you already familiar with all the new features in ACAD 2005? Well guess what - ACAD 2006 ships in March. According to Cad Digest there was a net of 25 new comands between ACAD 2000 and ACAD 2002. On the Revit 6.1 new features list I counted 50 items only one or two of which were to my mind worthy of a major release. I just don't think this is worth all the trouble we go through in migrating to a new version. And since you are a subscription customer, then passing up an upgrade is not really an option is it? Best regards Victor "Jeff Hanson" wrote in message news:41ddc737_2@newsprd01... > > Does this really mean that a product I purchase today will no longer be > > supported in two years time? I can only imagine how disruptive this would > > be for large users. Are governments, which typically take two years to > make > > any decision, going to stand for this? Also, I have to say, some of these > > "upgrades" are too minor to be taken seriously - what was the major > > difference between Revit 6.0 and 6.1, for example, to warrant a disruptive > > transition for a firm with 100 seats? > > > I have never really understood this argument about support for software > products? How long do you expect ADESK to support a specific release? 2 > years is obviously not enough, how about 5, or maybe 10? All products in > all industries stop getting support after some time. I just had a part on a > space heater in my house go out. The heater was 15 years old, so the part > is not available any more, bummer!, but that is just the breaks. It is just > part of industry in general. Ford is not making parts for Model T's any > more either. This must be some grand conspiracy against the consumer to > force us to upgrade our heaters, our cars, our software! When will the > madness stop! > > The computer and software industry changes very rapidly so it is not to > surprising the life cycle of the products and their support is very short > when compared to more durable goods. Maybe this is the problem people have, > a piece of software really doesn't wear out like other things. You can > effectively use it forever. However, you should expect it to be supported > forever. Subscription programs can be compared to outright purchase based > on the value a user gets by keeping up to date, new features available, > etc... But to bring in the argument about support is unfair. > > If the changes to the software are minor as you indicate then is upgrading > really a "disruptive" event? Our office is on subscription and have found > it to be a good way to insure our office says up to date. If we install the > regular upgrades the changes do not seem to be disruptive to us. If we only > upgraded every 3 years or so I could imagine this being very disruptive. > Regular update of software is far less disruptive than waiting. We are > better able to budget IT spending knowing ahead of time our software cost > and when it is due to be paid rather than being forced into upgrading > because of a "sundown" on a software product. So I guess in response, I do > trust ADESK. They have been around just about as long as the PC has and > have provided users with a industry leading product. I may not agree with > everything they have done or will do, but for the most part I have been a > happy user. > > Jeff Hanson > >
Message 7 of 30
Anonymous

Sir Architects, having failed to come up with a viable business model for their trade are now among the worst paid of all the traditional professionals. On top of that they now must pay an annual license fee to a software provider. In an office of ten Revit users this works out to an additional 6,000 in annual fees that a lawyer or a doctor doesnt have to pay. And they are way richer. Meaning no one any offense I have to say that there is a fatalistic "lie down and walk all over me" attitude on this NG that is quite discouraging. Autodesk can be fought. One good thing about being in a profession with mandatory affiliations is that these associations can easily become powerful lobbies. I imagine that a disgruntled letter to Phil Bernstein from his colleagues at the AIA might cause a stir at Autodesk HQ. Regards Victor "JeffreyMcGrew" wrote in message news:15840411.1105067525272.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Also, I have to say, some of these "upgrades" are too minor to be > > taken seriously - what was the major difference between Revit 6.0 > > and 6.1, for example, to warrant a disruptive transition for a firm with > > 100 seats? > > Yes, yes it was. Going from 6.0 to 6.1 was well worth it. Also, not being a Revit user, you might not understand the orders of magnitude less of fuss, problems, and overhead involved with upgrading to a new release of Revit as opposed to some of Autodesk's other products. > > And another thing to keep in mind is that the longer you wait to upgrade, and the more complex the system your upgrading, the larger the pain in doing so, no matter what system you're using. > > A firm of 70 I worked at before went from heavily customized AutoCAD R14 to 2000i. It took them a full year and someone working full-time on nothing more than re-writing all of the LISP customizations, for much of that code came from when they were using 12 and the person that had wrote it was long gone by the time 2000i came 'round. Now they are looking at going to 2004, and probably face the same year's worth of overhead to transfer. Oops! 2005 just came out, looks like they are gonna miss that one. And for what? Why did they spend so much upgrading? By going to A2000i we now had, what, four, maybe five new things that actually benefited the users, and a lot of stuff that they would never bother using or learning about? Sad thing is that those of us that knew AutoCAD well enough could work almost just as fast without the customization, more or less, and now a lot of it has become largely redundant with some of the new features in 2004. So in the end they would have been better just dumping it and working out of the box. But because they have sunk so much time and money into it they feel like they need to keep soldering on... > > That said, I don't think the yearly release cycle is a good idea at all for AutoCAD or ADT. The transitions are just going to be too disruptive I feel, and the migration time involved too painful and complex for many firms to want to make that a yearly cycle. > > A yearly cycle works for Revit because it's still a maturing product, and the yearly upgrades tend to not disrupt our way of working or our 'customization'- in this case our content. I have Revit families I made with 3.1 that still work with no intervention at all... > > > 2. What is it with the lack of specific data that people are asking for? > > Well, I think it's a couple of things, law and the SEC being part of it, and also the fact that they don't have to tell you a thing, so they don't. Autodesk is a commercial software company. They don't owe you a thing. All you pay for when you buy their software is permission to use it under their terms. If those terms don't work for your business, then you have to find an alternative. And that's all there is to it, really. > > There are no sure bets. Ever. > > So, for example, a lot of my personal business is heavily based upon Revit. And let's say that the ADT faithful's fantasy of Revit suddenly going away comes magically true, and I'm left in the cold. Well, knowing ahead of time that this could happen, I'm always on the lookout for other applications and ways to migrate data. I'll find something that I can use instead. Probably ArchiCAD. But by thinking ahead, paying attention, and understanding the Risks and rewards involved, I can minimize the pain Revit's sudden disappearance would cause, while enjoying the rewards and making hay while the sun shines. > > Or, let's say I heavily base my business upon an Open-Source solution instead, because I'm too paranoid to trust a company with my software and I want to believe in the illusion that I'll be able to use it forever for free. Oh, wait, but I don't make that software, I'm just downloading it and using it. And I'm not smart enough to write software myself. And the main developers for the product all go and start working on other things, so the project stagnates. Or all of a sudden the non-profit that distributes the software gets sued over a software patent, and now everything's in legal mumbo-jumbo, and now nothing happens with the software for years. So now I have to learn how to write code, or hire someone who does, and keep working with that product or I have to jump to something else. > > There are no sure bets. You either pay someone to handle something for you and give up some level of control, or you do it yourself, and that's always the way it is. And I'm pretty certain that your money spent on ADT is a drop in the bucket to Autodesk. Maybe with VisonRezWhatever you would have more 'clout', like we Revit users did back when it was Revit Inc, but unless you're a very very large company I doubt that Autodesk will take your private business needs into consideration when they are figuring out their business plans...
Message 8 of 30
Anonymous

Autodesk is actually a little slow to catch on to subscription, other software vendors have been doing it for years! Heard of Bentley? Only they call it maintenance...

Well Victor you're good for a laugh at least...can I get some of what you're taking? Cheers!
Message 9 of 30
Anonymous

"and also the fact that they don't have to tell you a thing, so they don't. Autodesk is a commercial software company. They don't owe you a thing. All you pay for when you buy their software is permission to use it under their terms. If those terms don't work for your business, then you have to find an alternative. And that's all there is to it, really."

Quite a sad situation when as a consumer we have to accept this attitude from the organization's we depend upon for enhancing our business processes. "They don't owe you a thing" is very true and should quickly answer the original posters question about trusting Autodesk.

The answer is sadly, no...granted we will all still utilize their software because of their size it is unfortunate that organizations no longer run on ethics, principles or honesty with their consumers. Why one cannot simply share seat sales seems incomprehensible to me but such that it is....
Message 10 of 30
Anonymous

Wow, way to totally miss my point, there, Victor. I wasn't talking about Architecture as a profession at all!

And let me know how whipping up the AIA to fight your petty little battle goes, Victor. And next time your at the Doctor, ask them about liability insurance and student loans. But I know I'll ignore the rest of your posts, for you're nothing but a waste of time, for you're not looking to actually help anyone or anything, not looking for solutions, not looking to help. Why don't you take all this energy of yours and do something constructive? There any several open-source CAD projects out there that would love any help they could get. And nothing's stopping you from just writing your own CAD software, after all, just go here: www.gnu.org, download their C compiler, or maybe go for something easier like www.python.org, and you're off and running. If Commercial Software Vendors are the Devil than it certainly seems like a better use of your time than trying to turn the Revit newsgroup into your own little rant-fest...
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous

Let's clear up a couple things. As of 7 days ago, I became the past president of my local AIA Component, so I know a little about the AIA. First membership in AIA is not mandatory. I worked in the industry for many years prior to joining the AIA. I joined because I felt I needed to support the organization that supports my profession. Secondly, AIA is not about to try and control the price of Revit. The organization has already been in trouble with federal antitrust regulators a number of years ago for openly discussing Architectural fees and rates. Today, as we gather for meetings, we're not about to talk about our hourly rates or the price we allow members to pay for Revit. I personally feel Revit does cost to much, but hey, it's a free market. The subsciption system on Revit was in place before Autodesk bought it. I'm sure that's one of the reasons they wanted to buy it, not to metion it was a very well thought out program. Mark "Victor" wrote in message news:41de1eb9_2@newsprd01... > Sir > > Architects, having failed to come up with a viable business model for > their > trade are now among the worst paid of all the traditional professionals. > On > top of that they now must pay an annual license fee to a software > provider. > In an office of ten Revit users this works out to an additional 6,000 in > annual fees that a lawyer or a doctor doesnt have to pay. And they are > way > richer. > > Meaning no one any offense I have to say that there is a fatalistic "lie > down and walk all over me" attitude on this NG that is quite discouraging. > Autodesk can be fought. One good thing about being in a profession with > mandatory affiliations is that these associations can easily become > powerful > lobbies. I imagine that a disgruntled letter to Phil Bernstein from his > colleagues at the AIA might cause a stir at Autodesk HQ. > > Regards > Victor > > "JeffreyMcGrew" wrote in message > news:15840411.1105067525272.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> > Also, I have to say, some of these "upgrades" are too minor to be >> > taken seriously - what was the major difference between Revit 6.0 >> > and 6.1, for example, to warrant a disruptive transition for a firm >> > with >> > 100 seats? >> >> Yes, yes it was. Going from 6.0 to 6.1 was well worth it. Also, not being > a Revit user, you might not understand the orders of magnitude less of > fuss, > problems, and overhead involved with upgrading to a new release of Revit > as > opposed to some of Autodesk's other products. >> >> And another thing to keep in mind is that the longer you wait to upgrade, > and the more complex the system your upgrading, the larger the pain in > doing > so, no matter what system you're using. >> >> A firm of 70 I worked at before went from heavily customized AutoCAD R14 > to 2000i. It took them a full year and someone working full-time on > nothing > more than re-writing all of the LISP customizations, for much of that code > came from when they were using 12 and the person that had wrote it was > long > gone by the time 2000i came 'round. Now they are looking at going to 2004, > and probably face the same year's worth of overhead to transfer. Oops! > 2005 > just came out, looks like they are gonna miss that one. And for what? Why > did they spend so much upgrading? By going to A2000i we now had, what, > four, > maybe five new things that actually benefited the users, and a lot of > stuff > that they would never bother using or learning about? Sad thing is that > those of us that knew AutoCAD well enough could work almost just as fast > without the customization, more or less, and now a lot of it has become > largely redundant with some of the new features in 2004. So in the end > they > would have been better just dumping it and working out of the box. But > because they have sunk so much time and money into it they feel like they > need to keep soldering on... >> >> That said, I don't think the yearly release cycle is a good idea at all > for AutoCAD or ADT. The transitions are just going to be too disruptive I > feel, and the migration time involved too painful and complex for many > firms > to want to make that a yearly cycle. >> >> A yearly cycle works for Revit because it's still a maturing product, and > the yearly upgrades tend to not disrupt our way of working or our > 'customization'- in this case our content. I have Revit families I made > with > 3.1 that still work with no intervention at all... >> >> > 2. What is it with the lack of specific data that people are asking >> > for? >> >> Well, I think it's a couple of things, law and the SEC being part of it, > and also the fact that they don't have to tell you a thing, so they don't. > Autodesk is a commercial software company. They don't owe you a thing. All > you pay for when you buy their software is permission to use it under > their > terms. If those terms don't work for your business, then you have to find > an > alternative. And that's all there is to it, really. >> >> There are no sure bets. Ever. >> >> So, for example, a lot of my personal business is heavily based upon > Revit. And let's say that the ADT faithful's fantasy of Revit suddenly > going > away comes magically true, and I'm left in the cold. Well, knowing ahead > of > time that this could happen, I'm always on the lookout for other > applications and ways to migrate data. I'll find something that I can use > instead. Probably ArchiCAD. But by thinking ahead, paying attention, and > understanding the Risks and rewards involved, I can minimize the pain > Revit's sudden disappearance would cause, while enjoying the rewards and > making hay while the sun shines. >> >> Or, let's say I heavily base my business upon an Open-Source solution > instead, because I'm too paranoid to trust a company with my software and > I > want to believe in the illusion that I'll be able to use it forever for > free. Oh, wait, but I don't make that software, I'm just downloading it > and > using it. And I'm not smart enough to write software myself. And the main > developers for the product all go and start working on other things, so > the > project stagnates. Or all of a sudden the non-profit that distributes the > software gets sued over a software patent, and now everything's in legal > mumbo-jumbo, and now nothing happens with the software for years. So now I > have to learn how to write code, or hire someone who does, and keep > working > with that product or I have to jump to something else. >> >> There are no sure bets. You either pay someone to handle something for >> you > and give up some level of control, or you do it yourself, and that's > always > the way it is. And I'm pretty certain that your money spent on ADT is a > drop > in the bucket to Autodesk. Maybe with VisonRezWhatever you would have more > 'clout', like we Revit users did back when it was Revit Inc, but unless > you're a very very large company I doubt that Autodesk will take your > private business needs into consideration when they are figuring out their > business plans... > >
Message 12 of 30
Anonymous

Congratulations, no small commitment or achievement. Thanks for serving. (I'm an associate member)
Message 13 of 30
Anonymous

Sir It would be most pleasant if you ignored the rest of my posts. Thank you. Regards Victor "JeffreyMcGrew" wrote in message news:31509460.1105142290864.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Wow, way to totally miss my point, there, Victor. I wasn't talking about Architecture as a profession at all! > > And let me know how whipping up the AIA to fight your petty little battle goes, Victor. And next time your at the Doctor, ask them about liability insurance and student loans. But I know I'll ignore the rest of your posts, for you're nothing but a waste of time, for you're not looking to actually help anyone or anything, not looking for solutions, not looking to help. Why don't you take all this energy of yours and do something constructive? There any several open-source CAD projects out there that would love any help they could get. And nothing's stopping you from just writing your own CAD software, after all, just go here: www.gnu.org, download their C compiler, or maybe go for something easier like www.python.org, and you're off and running. If Commercial Software Vendors are the Devil than it certainly seems like a better use of your time than trying to turn the Revit newsgroup into your own little rant-fest...
Message 14 of 30
Anonymous

Doctors in private practice pay upwards of $100,000/year in medical malpractice insurance costs. I'll take a $695 annual fee to upgrade the software I use over that any day. BTW, worst case, I'd have to pay about $1000/yr for a general liability insurance policy and $1500/month for errors and ommissions (if it was required by a client). That's a total of less than $20,000 for the insurance AND software. "Victor" wrote in message news:41de1eb9_2@newsprd01... > Sir > > Architects, having failed to come up with a viable business model for their > trade are now among the worst paid of all the traditional professionals. On > top of that they now must pay an annual license fee to a software provider. > In an office of ten Revit users this works out to an additional 6,000 in > annual fees that a lawyer or a doctor doesnt have to pay. And they are way > richer. > > Meaning no one any offense I have to say that there is a fatalistic "lie > down and walk all over me" attitude on this NG that is quite discouraging. > Autodesk can be fought. One good thing about being in a profession with > mandatory affiliations is that these associations can easily become powerful > lobbies. I imagine that a disgruntled letter to Phil Bernstein from his > colleagues at the AIA might cause a stir at Autodesk HQ. > > Regards > Victor > > "JeffreyMcGrew" wrote in message > news:15840411.1105067525272.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > Also, I have to say, some of these "upgrades" are too minor to be > > > taken seriously - what was the major difference between Revit 6.0 > > > and 6.1, for example, to warrant a disruptive transition for a firm with > > > 100 seats? > > > > Yes, yes it was. Going from 6.0 to 6.1 was well worth it. Also, not being > a Revit user, you might not understand the orders of magnitude less of fuss, > problems, and overhead involved with upgrading to a new release of Revit as > opposed to some of Autodesk's other products. > > > > And another thing to keep in mind is that the longer you wait to upgrade, > and the more complex the system your upgrading, the larger the pain in doing > so, no matter what system you're using. > > > > A firm of 70 I worked at before went from heavily customized AutoCAD R14 > to 2000i. It took them a full year and someone working full-time on nothing > more than re-writing all of the LISP customizations, for much of that code > came from when they were using 12 and the person that had wrote it was long > gone by the time 2000i came 'round. Now they are looking at going to 2004, > and probably face the same year's worth of overhead to transfer. Oops! 2005 > just came out, looks like they are gonna miss that one. And for what? Why > did they spend so much upgrading? By going to A2000i we now had, what, four, > maybe five new things that actually benefited the users, and a lot of stuff > that they would never bother using or learning about? Sad thing is that > those of us that knew AutoCAD well enough could work almost just as fast > without the customization, more or less, and now a lot of it has become > largely redundant with some of the new features in 2004. So in the end they > would have been better just dumping it and working out of the box. But > because they have sunk so much time and money into it they feel like they > need to keep soldering on... > > > > That said, I don't think the yearly release cycle is a good idea at all > for AutoCAD or ADT. The transitions are just going to be too disruptive I > feel, and the migration time involved too painful and complex for many firms > to want to make that a yearly cycle. > > > > A yearly cycle works for Revit because it's still a maturing product, and > the yearly upgrades tend to not disrupt our way of working or our > 'customization'- in this case our content. I have Revit families I made with > 3.1 that still work with no intervention at all... > > > > > 2. What is it with the lack of specific data that people are asking for? > > > > Well, I think it's a couple of things, law and the SEC being part of it, > and also the fact that they don't have to tell you a thing, so they don't. > Autodesk is a commercial software company. They don't owe you a thing. All > you pay for when you buy their software is permission to use it under their > terms. If those terms don't work for your business, then you have to find an > alternative. And that's all there is to it, really. > > > > There are no sure bets. Ever. > > > > So, for example, a lot of my personal business is heavily based upon > Revit. And let's say that the ADT faithful's fantasy of Revit suddenly going > away comes magically true, and I'm left in the cold. Well, knowing ahead of > time that this could happen, I'm always on the lookout for other > applications and ways to migrate data. I'll find something that I can use > instead. Probably ArchiCAD. But by thinking ahead, paying attention, and > understanding the Risks and rewards involved, I can minimize the pain > Revit's sudden disappearance would cause, while enjoying the rewards and > making hay while the sun shines. > > > > Or, let's say I heavily base my business upon an Open-Source solution > instead, because I'm too paranoid to trust a company with my software and I > want to believe in the illusion that I'll be able to use it forever for > free. Oh, wait, but I don't make that software, I'm just downloading it and > using it. And I'm not smart enough to write software myself. And the main > developers for the product all go and start working on other things, so the > project stagnates. Or all of a sudden the non-profit that distributes the > software gets sued over a software patent, and now everything's in legal > mumbo-jumbo, and now nothing happens with the software for years. So now I > have to learn how to write code, or hire someone who does, and keep working > with that product or I have to jump to something else. > > > > There are no sure bets. You either pay someone to handle something for you > and give up some level of control, or you do it yourself, and that's always > the way it is. And I'm pretty certain that your money spent on ADT is a drop > in the bucket to Autodesk. Maybe with VisonRezWhatever you would have more > 'clout', like we Revit users did back when it was Revit Inc, but unless > you're a very very large company I doubt that Autodesk will take your > private business needs into consideration when they are figuring out their > business plans... > >
Message 15 of 30
Anonymous

Sorry people, Their is not a lot of facts in this thread. Subscription is purely and simply a maintenance program, a cheaper way to get your software upgrades - MOST other CAD vendors have similar concepts. Subscription DOES NOT change you licencing conditions, DOES NOT make your software stop working after a period of time, DOES NOT tie you into Autodesk software any more than you may be now, DOES NOT force you to continue with the Subscription program (just stop paying - your maintenance WILL stop). What it DOES do is offer a cheaper alternative to upgrade. Using US Dollars: US $495 (minimum) per year to upgrade or $420 per year for subscription.... Thats it, easy comparison, I expect most CAD users to also be literate and intelligent Designers/Draftspeople/Engineers/Architects etc, so..... why is your mathematics skills so bad..... really, use calculator if required. Skip a version or two, or three and you WILL PAY MORE in upgrades than you do in Subscription - that is on purpose, so that Autodesk encourages business to move to this model. Does it make them more money, I doubt it because they give away some of that margin by discounting it in the first place. But if it does make them more, but you pay less, I question your business acumen. Lets compare Autodesk with other CAD Vendors, the common ones at least. Bentley, their Maintenance program IS approx 30% more than Autodesks (without an upgrade every year?), albeit not to trash their software, no probs there. Take Bentley's MX software (ex Infrasoft), stop paying maintenance and your software WILL stop working, this is not an uncommon scheme, especially amongst the more specialised, higher-end systems. Thank you lucky stars if you are using Autodesk's products, compared to some of these others (for the maintenance fee comparison I mean). Forget about Autodesk making more money from other people you don't know, does it make sense to you, are you still using recent Autodesk software, and if so, stay on the upgrade path if you want to give Autodesk more of your money - However I take it from all these comments, most of you would rather not? Put logical points forward in your case, not stupid, half truth comments, it just ends up being meaningless whinging. Stop using CAD software altogether (to save money?), or use a competitors system if you like, there are plenty of good ones out there. If you are not getting good value, don't give Autodesk any money. Having said that, there are many people using Autodesk's newer technology (Inventor, Revit) who in my experience are happy with all the improvements they are getting, the value that is paying Subscription. So why does Autodesk promote Subscription, easy the most commonly held belief, (emotions aside) and logical ones are 1. It gives them revenue more consistently, every year, not every two or three) and 2. Gives them more acurate forecasting. I would expect Autodesk is making more profit today than they were 5 years ago, however I suggest only a small amount comes from the increase in subscription business (vs upgrades). And lastly clients should always choose the best time for them to upgrade, unfortunately the entire software industry is on a high speed train, no time to get off and think, however we have to make the most of this situation and really as long as the change was beneficial (Know anyone who re-installed Windows 3.0 over their Windows XP system? their AutoCAD v10 over their 2004 version - anyone?) And anyway, who buys all of this software and new computers that keeps the industry in a mad rush? - the answer is..... (well heres a hint, its not Autodesk, Dell, or Microsoft). P.S. I do not work of Autodesk.... I'm just using my common sense. "Victor" wrote in message news:41dd8f81_1@newsprd01... > Hello all > > Autodesk has done the AEC industry (and some others) a huge service over > the > past two decades and more or less single-handedly revolutionised our > professions. But they remain a corporation driven by capitalistic > self-interest. And not just any corporation - they are the Microsoft of > the > construction industry. For this reason we only do ourselves a favour to > ask > the tough questions some on this NG and elsewhere are asking. > > 1. What is the underlying argument for the new annual upgrade policy > (other than to make more money I guess)? > > Does this really mean that a product I purchase today will no longer be > supported in two years time? I can only imagine how disruptive this would > be for large users. Are governments, which typically take two years to > make > any decision, going to stand for this? Also, I have to say, some of these > "upgrades" are too minor to be taken seriously - what was the major > difference between Revit 6.0 and 6.1, for example, to warrant a disruptive > transition for a firm with 100 seats? > > 2. What is it with the lack of specific data that people are asking > for? > > Do shareholders at least know what percentage of the market Revit has so > far > captured? I think this is an important point for professionals - a > strategic choice between using one software platform versus another has to > be made (Revit vs. ADT for example) and we are not unreasonable to want to > know how the market is responding to these products. Market forces (and > software tidal waves emanating from Richmond,VA) have destroyed perfectly > decent software before. In today's environment you are out of a job if > you > mark ADT on your resume and it suddenly disappears from the market. > > I don't know if this is the right place for these questions but I thought > I'd have a go anyway ... > > >
Message 16 of 30
Anonymous

Autodesk was just as lucky as MS. A/E profesionals could have been revolutionized by any other companies if it's not Autodesk. Still remember Quick CAD, Cadvance, Mini CAD....?
One thing I just don't understand, why companies keep upgrading to so-called new versions. There're still folks using ACAD R14, and I don't see any need to use 2000 if you just do drafting. Users should be clear what they need before embrace a "new" version.
Our company has gone a long way from ACAD 2000, 2002, ADT 3, 4, 5, and now Revit 7.0. People here don't even fully understand what ADT 3 offers, and I would say 95% of our work can be done with ACAD R14. But guess what, Revit 8.0 is on the list now.
Message 17 of 30
Anonymous

Money! The software developers make money by selling software. Also, software is only as good as hardware and as hardware gets better they make the software to catch up. If you are proficient at 14 and you see no reason to upgrade don't, but your return on investment my be quick by upgrading. You'll have to do the math to what makes since for you.
Message 18 of 30
Anonymous

If people would use the product for more than just a 2D "drafting" program and use it like it is design for, a 3D "design" program, they might understand why there is an upgrade cycle.
Architecture like most professions is highly resistant to change. But more importantly the powers that be have a hard time justifying the costs associated with an upgrade, ie downtime, no production, learning curve of the new program equals no cashflow. Although if they would make the upgrades shortly after they come out then it wouldn't sting as bad.
The other thing that Autodesk has to remember is that we are not all 100+ people firms that can bury that expense easier than a small firm. I would guess that small firms make up the majority of the people using there software. Architects don't have a product to sell only there time, which clients have a hard enough time buying. One thing that I would like to see is better documentation of upgrades and how to integrate them into projects.

And as far as Greg Cashens comment Re: Trusting Autodesk
"Doctors in private practice pay upwards of $100,000/year in medical malpractice insurance costs. I'll take a $695 annual fee to upgrade the software I use over that any day."

Not trying to be critical but there is no correlation between malpractice insurance and a software upgrade payment. There is between liability and malpractice, but there is a greater chance that your building wont fail, than there is a doctor making a misdiagnosis, so the associated costs would be greater.
Message 19 of 30
Anonymous

Can people really benefit a lot by upgrading year after year. I seriously doubt it. Most of the time, people see new versions coming out before they even get a chance to benefit from what is their hands.
Same thing is happening with Adobe Systems. It's just the way software companies makes money.
Message 20 of 30
Anonymous

I use ACAD R14 for quick sketches or pure drafting; I use sketchup for conceptual design and urban planning; I use ADT for CDs; I use 3ds MAX for high-end renderings; I use Photoshop for touchups; I use free LISP routines for my specific purposes; .... I am happy with all available tools, and I don't see people doing better work with the latest versions.
I just don't see any reason to spend hell lot of money and time upgrading every year. This is especially true in A/E industry - it's not just about technology, it needs creative minds too.
People cannot make good designs or improve the quality of works simply by using latest versions. Autodesk can only succed by imitating MS, which is really bad for A/E folks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report