Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedules - why?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Keith_Wilkinson
291 Views, 4 Replies

Schedules - why?

Can anyone explain to me why Revit won't let you have access to project data between different schedules?

At a very basic level, in a room schedule I have access to both Area and Perimeter.  However in a window schedule under 'From Room' I can get access to neither of these parameters... it's still the same room, it's still the same size and Revit knows it but it won't let me put it into my schedule!

WHY????

Is this just some monumental programing **** up or is there genuinely a good reason why some parameters are not accessible?

K.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: Keith_Wilkinson

I sometimes wonder myself. But in some instances I can imagine why they are not (yet) available. For example if you have a window in between two rooms which room data are you going to use? To let this window have access to room data will need some (many?) additional rules and/or settings.

In some other instances I think they have not conisdered it to be useful or have not completed it yet.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 5
Keith_Wilkinson
in reply to: L.Maas

You just keep it as it is now - From Room and To Room.

I just get the feeling it's one of the many things in Revit that 'works' but just doesn't work as well as it should and because it's not 'broken' it's viewed that there is no need to fix it.  Honestly for the cost of licenses and ongoing subscriptions it would be really nice to see AD applying some time and money to actually making some of these things work better.

I'll guarantee that there are things on the wish list that have been there since day one that would make a huge difference to users but have never been dealt with.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 4 of 5

I cannot speak to why more room data is not available to Windows (or Doors, or other objects that are in a room), but you could use Dynamo to obtain parameter information from one object type and push the value onto a parameter on a different object type.  Not sure how hard it would be to get the right room information to each window in your example, but if this is something that is really important for your workflow, it may be worth investigating.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 5

Thanks David,

interestingly enough Dynamo has been forefront in my mind for this and some other issues around about it.  Following the MRUG meeting last Thursday and discussing some of the things that can be achieved with Dynamo I'm keen to look at this further, it's really just a question of finding the time!

Cheers

K.

Maimonides

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report