Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REVIT AND AUTOCAD

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
685 Views, 4 Replies

REVIT AND AUTOCAD

I just got good at autocad the last few years and now Do I take on Revit??

How difficult and time consuming to study and learn how to use Revit for Residential Architectural Design and Production compared to Autocad?? Im an architect and one of my builder clients has in house drafting staff and they switched to revit a couple of years ago.

Does anyone know any good simple training  books on revit or website training courses?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

I provide online training on Revit Architecture. If you are interested, please contact me by email.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

as a 20 year + Acad user and one who started to learn Revit early this year I can tell you that IMO the learning curve for Revit is a bit more difficult than Acad. I think that someone who didn't have any Acad experience would be better able to learn Revit as they wouldn't have to unlearn a lot of what has become natural to them. That said, the learning curve doesn't matter. Revit is the future and if you want to not fall behind you must jump on the bandwagon and come along for the ride. As far as training, I've done the books, I've done the excrutiating 8 hr a day classes, and I've done online training. Online training is less expensive, more schedule flexible, and allows you to learn more at your own pace. Planta1 is one of many Revit training sites but I can vouch for Alfredo's expertise and skill as a teacher.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

As a not quite 20+ year ACAD user, I can also vouch that the learning curve for Revit is greater than ACAD.  With ACAD you can basically tell someone how to draw a line, a curve, and text, and they are off to create drawings.  A little more involved with Revit.  I am at my second firm that is in the Revit implementation process, so my teaching experience (and patience) has grown over the last few years.  Every training excercise and book you can find will be helpful, but the best tool is to sit down with it for a week and begin to learn how it wants you to work with it.  I also agree that the comparison between it and ACAD is not quite the essential element, as Revit is the next step in architectural documentation.  Slowly ACAD will be phased out of offices, and Revit, or in a more general sense BIM, will become the norm. 

My best advice though is to keep plugging away at it.  You will get frustrated at times, and begin to think that it is much more difficult and cumbersome than CAD, but once you get through that, your opinion will change and you will start to think that any type of simple CAD program like ACAD, Microstation, or the like are barbaric in comparison.

just my .02

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I'll take a different viewpoint. I love Revit and whenever I have to touch AutoCAD it's like tossing a fork in the microwave - all I see is a lot of sparks and pain.

http://blog.stachoni.com/2009/10/on-learning-revit-1.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report