Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help making this faceted wall...

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
konadean
1228 Views, 14 Replies

Need some help making this faceted wall...

I need a wall that is curved on the interior side and faceted on the exterior side. The 2x6 wall is the core. How would I make this wall in Revit 2015?

Plan view:

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

you can use two joined walls: a straight one and a curved one.

The problem is that you have to use a modified door and window type in this case.

I've made (using Duplicate) two new families of door and window , in which I've changed Opening with an Extruded Void...

As you can see in my second screencast , the order in which you made the joining is important....the door and the window will insert differently...

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/6606b8de-2678-4a9b-b5e9-557d01d825d7

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/27a34cbc-b78b-456a-a973-b5e9a1714b23

how the door family looks : the Opening is changed with the Extruded Void

Image 1.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 15

That method works great for one flat wall joined to the curved wall, but I have five facets that need to join the curved wall. It doesn't work so well in that situation, at least not so far. I'll keep trying, though...

Message 4 of 15
David_Knight
in reply to: konadean

I was able to do it using voids.

see attached.faceted wall.jpg

Message 5 of 15

it seems indeed that your sollution is more appropriate in this case....It allows windows and doors to be cutoff even if the basic wall from which you substract the Void Component is layered.....

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
konadean
in reply to: David_Knight

I downloaded your file and it looks very promising. I've been using Revit for two weeks, so I'm extremely new!! Haven't used voids, but that looks like it's going to work...

I just hate it when you have to find a "work around" to build a simple wall!!

Message 7 of 15
David_Knight

I wouldn't consider this a simple wall. Smiley Wink

Get used to thinking outside of the box.  I don't really consider this a work around.  In the field, they'll be trimming the studs i assume to match your curve... so in Revit you end up doing the same thing.

When i get stumped, i like to think about the process in the field... often Revit emulates how you would have to build it.

Message 8 of 15
konadean

I agree!

The problem is I'm new and don't know what all Revit can do. I've been using AutoCAD and 3D Studio for over twenty-five years, along with many other CAD type software. Revit is the first program I've bought that didn't come with any documentation on how to use it. No tutorials and the help is almost useless on finding any instructions on how to use a command. If you can find some instruction, it only covers the most basic operations of a command. There is NOTHING basic on my houses. They're usually around fifteen-thousand square feet and tons of details. Funky walls, crazy roofs, wierd shaped windows, yadda, yadda, yadda. Which reminds me... I have some windows that I'll be posting for help on. Stay tuned... LOL

If others are reading this and have different methods of building this wall, I'd like to see them as well...

Message 9 of 15
konadean

This is starting to really tick me off!!!!

In the help, I type in "create void". It says to click the create tab. I have no create tab. A lot of the help instructions tell me to click items that I just don't have on my screen. I'm on Building Design Suite 2015 - Revit. Here's my screen shot. Where are these tabs that I don't have?

http://home.comcast.net/~tk4480/CSC/screen.jpg

Message 10 of 15
David_Knight

I created a screencast for you, this should clear up the process.

Screencast V2: https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/2293d5ec-17cd-4fb5-b4f4-093a5140279e

Message 11 of 15
David_Knight

also, as for training - i signed up for Lynda.com and used Paul Aubin's training videos to get me going.  they were most useful.  He's an excellent instructor and does a good job.  It's well worth the cost.  There is a link on Paul Aubin's website that gives you a free week of Lynda.com to try it out.

http://paulaubin.com/lynda/

Message 12 of 15
konadean

You rule, my friend!!!! Thank you very much!!

I watched the video, but I'm on my way to a meeting. Can't wait to get back and try it!

I'll check out Lynda.com, too...

Message 13 of 15
David_Knight

I made an error in the video, i edited it out.  but the uploaded version for whatever reason decided to keep the original and disregard the edit.  So it may be a little confusing.

I recreated it again this time without the error.

Here it is:

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/2293d5ec-17cd-4fb5-b4f4-093a5140279e

Message 14 of 15
konadean

I couldn't wait to try it, so I'm in a rush to get to my meeting, now. It worked for me. I stopped at the part where you put on the interior gyp. bd. I don't show any of that, so just cutting the wall was what I needed. I didn't notice the mistake. I'll check out the new video when I get back...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

You near Denver? I'll hire ya for instruction!! Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 15
David_Knight

Unfortunately I'm not!  You'll learn fast.  The more you use it the better you get.  We've been using it about 6 months in our office.  I spent the first few weeks using it watching the Lynda tutorial's I mentioned earlier.  They were definitely a help.

I watched the advanced ones as well.  I read the forums here too because I find that I see and learn things from other peoples questions and experiences.  I had no idea how to do a faceted wall before I saw your post 😉  I just had to think about it for a few minutes to come up with a solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report