Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove Level but Keep Objects that Ref. on it?

36 REPLIES 36
Message 1 of 37
Anonymous
15789 Views, 36 Replies

How to remove Level but Keep Objects that Ref. on it?

Please Help,

How can I remove Level or Ref. Plane but still Keep all objects that reference on it in same position?

Thank you

36 REPLIES 36
Message 2 of 37
alan.quinn
in reply to: Anonymous

You will have to associate the objects to another level first and then remove/delete the original level. If you delete the level first you will lose anything associated to it.

Thank you,

Message 3 of 37
garywatson

I think that Autodesk really needs to work on this.  When you have hundred's of objects associated with a level and you need to delete it because of project evolution (such as a mezzanine level being removed), it is very easy to accidentally delete someting.  I got screwed over big time with this oversight.  Can you please look at this seriously in a future version?

Message 4 of 37
Anonymous
in reply to: garywatson

Why dont you rename that level and ignore(hide) it in all views, the elements associated will remain as it is in the same location, now add new levels where ever you need as per the changes.

Message 5 of 37
Anonymous

Renaming and ignoring can cause more problems. Elements will constantly be associated to the wrong levels, if a level changes, you have to make sure you change the hidden level the same amount. In scenarios where there are dozens of extra levels this can be very frustrating. There are many situations where a project evolves and it gets stuck with extra levels. One example is if a building steps from one end to another, levels are created for each step because the size of the step could evolve over time, eventually the building is revised to be all on one level or revised from 3 levels to 2, now you're stuck with a dozen extra levels for a mid-rise building. Another example is the evolution of parking within a building, we've gone from flat parking to mid-level landings and back. Revit is short for Revise-it, it should be able to roll with changes like this. Another example is (It's not good practice to do it this way,) we've had projects where 4 buildings were put into one file at the early massing stages, the building size, shape, quantity, and location changed rapidly, sections were taken for each building, and before you know it we're left with a mess that needs to be cleaned up...yes I know these should each be in their own file...but it happened and now, after the files were split into their own, there is no easy way to clean up these 4 files and delete levels. The projects went a little too far before being split up and levels weren't deleted up front and are lingering in the project. When order of operations and office standards are not followed, you shouldn't have to spend days/weeks cleaning it up or recreating it in a new file. 

The (desired) solution; if when you delete a level, you simply have the option to either delete all associated elements or reassocaite elements to an existing level. 

On another note, when project north is not set or it changes for a project, all detail lines, annotations, etc should be able to go with it. I don't understand why they wouldn't. This is another action that can take an imense amount of drafting time to correct simply because a file was not setup properly or the building evolved in such a way that it would be disireable to rotate it a few degrees (I know you're supposed to rotate the site, not the building, but again, it happens). Not everyone has a BIM manager to catch these things early. Unfortunatly, what happened in our office, was that the drafter roated every single view rather than setting up project north. I guess you can't ever assume anything. Ture North and project north are the first things I setup, but the project was handed over to someone who didn't know to do this and it wasn't noticed until the project was very far along. Sorry, now I'm just venting.

Message 6 of 37
Aidenj

This is the kind of malfunctionality that I would associate with shareware. 

The issues you raised in your post are exactly to the point and shared by many of your colleagues. 

Message 7 of 37
Anonymous
in reply to: Aidenj

I haven't seen a satisfactory solution to this problem, and the question has been open since 2011. Autodesk, any word???

Message 8 of 37
_Vijay

Don't delete the level..you can move wherever you need along with hosted elements.if you need to hosted elements in the same level you can create a reference plain and name it as you need host the elements on the reference plane. but it will cause a problem when you take the scheduling and others.

Message 9 of 37
joostZRQSF

Revit levels are very irritating.

The most simple solution up front is just don't make to many levels. 

Just the basic levels for each building story and thats it.

And model elements always with in the back of your mind on wich level you want them for the top and base.

Cause in that case Revit is pritty smart; it always want to create a wall with a curtain base and top is always 1 level higher.

If you want to create some kind of asublevel; create ref planes.

And if for some reason all element need to move up or down; just select all elements using a 3D view (wich is cropt to easily select only those elements) to give them a different height.

I work for different company's, and more then often I need to continue with already created models. The ones who have many levels are always the most troubeling. 

So my advice is: dont create to many levels.

Message 10 of 37
AndycMacp

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, did way to remove a level but retain the (100's) objects associated with it get implemented? 

Thanks!

Message 11 of 37
rwtaylor_revit

You might want to review this Ideate Software Blog article from a few years ago.   It has some nice tips if you are using Ideate Software solutions:   

https://ideatesoftware.com/blog/ideate-explorer-and-ideateapps-safely-moving-revit-content

Message 12 of 37
ToanDN
in reply to: AndycMacp

@AndycMacp wrote:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, did way to remove a level but retain the (100's) objects associated with it get implemented? 

Thanks!

Here is a hint: you can link a model with hundred of levels into yours, bind it and uncheck Levels.  There you inherit all  and only model elements from that link, but none of the Levels.

Message 13 of 37
RobDraw
in reply to: AndycMacp

Overuse of levels can lead to the need for deleting and moving them which is not something that you want to do on a regular basis. All those intermediary levels that are not actual building levels should be avoided and reference planes used instead. It is highly recommended to set levels at the onset of a project and avoid any changes unless the overall design of the building changes. This practice helps to reinforce that making changes or removing levels is a big deal, not just an arbitrary decision.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 14 of 37
d.warburgR4PL4

It is now almost 2023 and this issue has still not been resolved by Autodesk. It is this lack basic functionality that infuriates power users. Work arounds = lost productivity.

I am not a programmer so I don't know the implications of making something like this work but with Autodesk's clout it surely shouldn't be a problem.

The fact that deleting a level deletes all associated geometry blows my mind, surely the intuitive solution would be that the affected geometry finds the next closest level and hosts to that. At least give an option in the warning that flashes up to host to another level or delete!

FFS Autodesk - this kind of thing should be fixed by now!

PS - I do have a workaround - If you group all model elements together, then delete the level. All the associated model elements will be excluded from the group however you can "restore all excluded" which will now be hosted to the next nearest level.

Message 15 of 37

Thanks for the aggressive response, I wasn't expecting to defend my position.

If you read down to the bottom, I did offer a workaround - you are welcome!

Message 16 of 37
RobDraw
in reply to: d.warburgR4PL4

@d.warburgR4PL4 wrote:
I wasn't expecting to defend my position.

That explains a lot.

Your workaround wasn't there when I responded. Bad play, editing to counter a response. Still, your commentary belongs in the places I mentioned.

Good day.

Rob

Message 17 of 37
garywatson
in reply to: RobDraw

Wow, I can’t believe this post is still active. I think it does speak to the challenge that many users have with the removal of levels.   I also don’t think it’s reasonable to expect a linear workflow that expects changes not to happen.  

Over the years I’ve discovered many ways to deal with removing levels.  The most effective is the use of plugins like ideate explorer or kiwi codes bonus tools.  

I tried to use the Autodesk solution in the link below, but it’s not always realistic in the real world of deadlines.  Another simple, but imperfect solution is to simply rename the level with an x in front for the name and put it on a delete workset that is always off.  If there is time later you can work through the hosted elements on that unwanted level.  

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU/Revit-M...

Message 18 of 37
Aidenj

You are dead on in your criticism of Autodesk. This is pure negligence on their part. Ignore Rob. This is a major design issue. We are trained to understand design and you rightly see this as a flaw. We should not have to come up with work arounds on a product that costs this much or has been around this long. Autodesk's failure to monitor these forums properly is a further fault of theirs and not an excuse.

Message 19 of 37
Aidenj

I'm glad you posted your criticism. Rob is arrogant. Ignore him.

Message 20 of 37
RobDraw
in reply to: Aidenj

@Aidenj wrote:

Autodesk's failure to monitor these forums properly is a further fault of theirs and not an excuse.

No, the failure is people who don't know how to voice their opinions where Autodesk does listen even when given directions. These forums are about solutions, not personal opinions from frustrated users that can't figure this out.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report