Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Both Feet First...I think...

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
140 Views, 2 Replies

Both Feet First...I think...

I'm fairly certain I'm going to make the transition from ADT X to Revit for my residential projects (and possibly, as time goes on, and I understand better how to integrate consultant drawings using AutoCAD, commercial projects). This is what I'm planning...looking for advice... 1) Create office standards in Revit, including title blocks, typical wall styles, floor styles, roof styles, etc. (or whatever Revit calls it...Families, I think). This would include the need to do parametric roof trusses of varying types (standard, parallel chord, scissor, etc), floor trusses. 2) Figure out how to create details and import 2D details from AutoCAD into Revit. 3) After standards are created and working, start a new project in Revit...and figure it out from there. Are there other recommendations? I'd rather work on getting office standard content done first so that I can be productive right away with a new project, as opposed to making stuff up as I go on a new project. Thanks... P
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

3D Peruna wrote: > 1) Create office standards in Revit, including title blocks, typical wall > styles, floor styles, roof styles, etc. (or whatever Revit calls > it...Families, I think). This would include the need to do parametric roof > trusses of varying types (standard, parallel chord, scissor, etc), floor > trusses. Yes, but I'd work with other folk's trusses in the beginning. Until you understand Revit better making a truss family will be fairly hard for you (anyone, really; until you really understand complex family creation Trusses are Hard). > 2) Figure out how to create details and import 2D details from AutoCAD into > Revit. This is very easy, read about Drafting Views. > 3) After standards are created and working, start a new project in > Revit...and figure it out from there. Uh... I don't know. I think you should actually do both; start working on a standard, and a pilot project, so the two tasks can inform each other. Revit's a little more fluid that ADT/AutoCAD, and you can transfer settings/styles/families/whatevers from your projects to your templates (and vise-versa) with ease. I still tweak my project templates and families to this day and I've been using Revit for over three years. ;-) > Are there other recommendations? I'd rather work on getting office standard > content done first so that I can be productive right away with a new > project, as opposed to making stuff up as I go on a new project. Other than you should really do both; start a pilot and start your standards, for until you understand Revit better you won't know what half the standards are for, or the best way for you to set up jobs to meet your needs. You'll probably change things two to three times along the way too, but that's the Revit way, and you'll find it much more forgiving to make changes than with ADT/AutoCAD... The only other thing is that you should get thee to AUGI.com right away and start posting questions there too. Lots of great Revit folks, and you'll get lots of help. Read all the tutorials and see if you can get in on a distance learning class or local user's group. Revit's very very different from ADT/AutoCAD, and even though it is easyer to learn (i, and many others, feel that way) don't swallow the hype that it being easy to learn means that it's easy to understand how to apply it within your office. ;-) good luck! Jeffrey
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

> > The only other thing is that you should get thee to AUGI.com right away > and start posting questions there too. Lots of great Revit folks, and > you'll get lots of help. Read all the tutorials and see if you can get in > on a distance learning class or local user's group. Revit's very very > different from ADT/AutoCAD, and even though it is easyer to learn (i, and > many others, feel that way) don't swallow the hype that it being easy to > learn means that it's easy to understand how to apply it within your > office. ;-) Thanks for the advice... This office is just me (and a new partner), so it won't be hard to implement...It's only my fault if it doesn't fly... P

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report