Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Load Family Types with Complete Parameter Settings in Revit Project

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
mcorriveau
168 Views, 2 Replies

Unable to Load Family Types with Complete Parameter Settings in Revit Project

Dear Revit Support Team,

I'm currently encountering an issue related to family reloading in my Revit project, specifically with a family named "VFP-Backflow Preventer Flanged Zurn 350AST-OSY.rfa" that contains distinct type names for each diameter.

My project contains this family, albeit only with one type name, specifically, the 6" diameter. My aim is to reload the family to be able to modify the diameter. However, I'm experiencing a persisting issue: regardless of the method used to load the family into my project, the other type names are not being imported, thereby leaving me stuck with the 6" type name.

Please note that if I delete the family from the project and reload it fresh it does load all the diameter (type name). I only mention a specific family for clarity but I am facing the same issue for my whole family library 300+ files.

As a workaround, I've created a family type text file for my family. When loading the .rfa file, Revit prompts me to choose the type name I wish to load. While this does allow me to import new type names into my model, it seems to exclude certain family parameters. For instance, the Family Type: Pipe Accessories, used to control the flange size, is not being imported. This results in the flange size being perpetually stuck at 6", irrespective of the family type name being 8", 10", etc.

I'm seeking your assistance in resolving this problem. Could you provide me with a reliable method for reloading my family into my model while ensuring that all the type names and their associated parameters are imported correctly?

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter. I'm looking forward to your prompt response and a potential solution.

This issue consistently arises when I attempt to copy and paste the family from an existing project into a new one. Manually loading all the required families to construct a mechanical room individually is not a feasible solution. Our workflow relies on a master template.rvt file that includes various arrangements. Typically, I copy and paste a pre-established setup, then simply modify the network configuration and adjust certain diameters according to the specifications of the current project. However, I'm concerned that this method of transferring families between projects may be causing disruptions or errors.

Best Regards,

Tags (2)
Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
SteveKStafford
in reply to: mcorriveau

I'm not with Autodesk or the Revit team, true for most of the participants here.

I downloaded Zurn families from BIM Object based on the family you mentioned. The families don't use Type Catalogs so that doesn't seem likely as a cause. If you created a type catalog using the built-in Export Family Types option then part of the issue is that routine does not create Family Type parameters in the resulting TXT file. You're using a much older version of Revit and that version doesn't resolve the Family Type parameter export. At the moment I don't recall if/when that was fixed. You'll have to add those parameters to the type catalog file yourself to get them to be acknowledged during reloading.

As for reloading the family and not getting the "missing" types this usually happens in older versions of Revit when it doesn't detect any changes/differences in the family that is already loaded. If you change some inconsequential parameters (like those in Identity Data) in the hosting project's version of the family you might find that "wakes" up Revit during its "examination" of the family when you reload it. Revit should "notice" the difference in the reloaded version and add in the available types...assuming the source file you're selecting actually has those types. If that doesn't help then change a dimensional parameter that alters the geometry of the family (in a subtle way hopefully) and that should trigger a real refresh of the family during reload.

You might also try using Load Family vs selecting the family in the project browser and using right click Reload Family...if you're doing that. Don't select the family and use Edit Family and then load into project. The version of the family that is opened via Edit Family is not the original version but one that is based on the version in the project which won't include the missing type(s).

As for a strategy of loading a large collection of piping components. You could save the collection into a project file and use Load as Group. Then place an instance of the group in the model and ungroup it. Not all that different from copy/paste but this way you can have a distinct collection of files you and others can use "load as group" to add such things to the project. Editing these resource files as required will keep them as current as you keep after them.

Edit: I attached a type catalog I created using Revit 2024 which does include the family type parameters for the nested family parts. The model I did it for is all part of the name which should match the Zurn family...to work.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 3 of 3
mcorriveau
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Thank you for your proposed solution.

I understand that there are potential workarounds, such as prodding Revit into 'waking up' and subsequently reloading the family with all types. However, these suggestions don't seem to align with my requirements. At this point, I haven't explored whether Revit 2024 would effectively export the family types catalog. This isn't a viable solution currently as we need to maintain our library in 2020.

Your idea of using a .rvt file with multiple families and loading it as a group does intrigue me, as it appears to have the potential to address my challenges. I will conduct further investigations on this aspect and accept your response as a provisional solution.

Thank you for your input.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report