Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Square footage inconsistency

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
shanson
705 Views, 6 Replies

Square footage inconsistency

I have 32 rooms that are the same size and layout (some are rotated or a reflection of another). I have fully dimensioned the rooms and all of the dimensions read the exact same. However, the square footage that reads in my room tags are almost all different and vary by as much as 4 sqft. Does anyone know what would be causing this discrepancy or how to fix this issue? (I have included a screenshot of some of the rooms that have issues)

sqftage issue.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: shanson

Turn on Rooms' Interior Fill and see what is going on with the Rooms boundaries.

Message 3 of 7
chrisplyler

Check the setting of your Room Area Computations.

If it is set to the At Wall Finish option, your area numbers should be the same. If it is set to any of the other options, the various wall types will be effecting them.

areacomps.jpg

Message 4 of 7
shanson

Update:

After closing Revit and reopening a new local file for the project most of the rooms were fixed. However, I still have one room that is off by 1 sqft. I checked the settings for the area computation which is set for "At wall finish" and I turned on the interior fill which doesn't reveal any issues.

I did look into the area as listed in the properties dialog and it is showing it fluctuating between 0.06-0.10 sqft through the rooms. It looks like the number discrepancy comes from it rounding up for most and down for one. However, I still don't understand how or why any discrepancy is occurring.sqftage issue2.JPG

Message 5 of 7
Sahay_R

Try adjusting the rounding - 

Capture.PNG

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 6 of 7
chrisplyler

@Anonymous wrote:

Update:

After closing Revit and reopening a new local file for the project most of the rooms were fixed. However, I still have one room that is off by 1 sqft. I checked the settings for the area computation which is set for "At wall finish" and I turned on the interior fill which doesn't reveal any issues.

I did look into the area as listed in the properties dialog and it is showing it fluctuating between 0.06-0.10 sqft through the rooms. It looks like the number discrepancy comes from it rounding up for most and down for one. However, I still don't understand how or why any discrepancy is occurring.sqftage issue2.JPG

Hmmm.... you've stumped me then. Unless... are you SURE all the dimension witness lines shown in the picture above are snapped to the interior finish faces of the walls? You haven't got one snapped to the core face by mistake, right? It's hard to see exactly where the tick marks lie in the picture. Zoom in and check. If you've got one that isn't right, then the rooms aren't really the same.

Message 7 of 7
shanson

Final update:

I found the issue! There was a very small portion of the exterior wall at an opening that was protruding into the room by 1/16" and causing the discrepancy. I was only able to catch it when I dimensioned to that portion by chance. This has now brought the difference in square footage to 0.04 which means the rooms all are displaying the same number when rounded (however I still don't understand where even that difference comes from). Thank you to everyone who helped me try to solve the issue!! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report