Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric vertical slats through a spline path.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
rodrigo.flandez.arq
334 Views, 5 Replies

Parametric vertical slats through a spline path.

Hi community.

I'm having an issue in creating a parametric façade compounded by vertical slats that has a waving expression and follow a spline as a path. I'll attach the intention of what I want to achieve and explain step by step what i have been trying to do.

01. I created a conceptual mass as a separated family with no solid geometry, just the splines as paths following the shape I need.

02. I created and adaptive component with points that are adaptable for the shape. This created the first problem cause the points where landing wherever in the paths, So I just leave one adaptive point as placement point and the rest as shape handle points constrained in the XY plane to keep it flat.

03. I wanted to repeat this process but the repeat command through line paths does not work if the adaptive component has shape handle points so I had to copy with move+ctrl so the shape handle and placement points are consistent and adjust manually the distance within every panel.

04. I have to split the paths as well because in some changes of directions the points.

05. That worked fine until I needed to leave voids in elevations that were not cutting this adaptive components at all.

06. I tried some other resources such as creating a mass but the divided surface does not shown orthogonal and even with intersections creates problems because it's a complex spline.

07. I ended up making a solid shape with void extrusions (time consuming and performance issues), but later on I would need to solve this with a properly mass and a properly adaptive point.

My question is if there is a better way to achieve this, even if it's splitting the façade in many other sub masses to make more bearable splines curves, parametrize properly the distance between and report the cut out of the panels for potential shop drawings, or even if it's better jump into dynamo

Thanks in advance.

*I have allocate the pictures with the numbers referring to the steps listed in a zip folder

Labels (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Can you compress it another way. I haven't used WINZIP for 10 years. 

Message 3 of 6

What version are you using?  

It is actually much simpler than what you think.

• use a mass with just flat surface to host the fins
  • divide the mass to create 7 nodes on each vertical grid
  • create the fin family with 7 adaptive points on the back of the fin and they are on a straight line
  • create 7 points on the front of the fin by hosting them on the 7 adaptive based points on back
  • introduce an offset parameter from host for each of the 7 points (or for just the ones that need to be changed distance from host)
  • place the fin family on the mass by picking 7 nodes and run repeater
  • if you need to adjust a placed fin, tab on it and change offset parameter (but based on your sample photo, you wouldn't need to do that)

Below is a simple example with one divided surface intersects with 5 ref planes.  You can use multiple surfaces, each intersects with its own set of ref planes for more complex façade design.

ToanDN_3-1655404896635.png

ToanDN_0-1655404785349.png

ToanDN_1-1655404814036.png

ToanDN_2-1655404830007.png

Message 4 of 6

Thanks.

I'll try that approach. I havent used masses and adaptive points in a while, that's why I needed some reflesh. Now, about the openings that I need to create, it is posible to cut the surface/mass created with a void and that be reflected on the slats?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Message 5 of 6

@rodrigo.flandez.arq wrote:

Thanks.

I'll try that approach. I havent used masses and adaptive points in a while, that's why I needed some reflesh. Now, about the openings that I need to create, it is posible to cut the surface/mass created with a void and that be reflected on the slats?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

After loading the mass with slats to your project, create in place mass with solid form and use it to cut the slats using Cut geometry.  It will be quicker if the slat family is NOT shared (adaptive family is default to shared), then you can cut multiple slats with one Cut. If it is shared then you will need to pick the slats one by one to cut them.

Message 6 of 6

Thank you man.

It worked perfectly, it solved my life ✌🏻✌🏻✌🏻.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report