Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked Trusses and Beams Not Printing

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
johnharvey
2519 Views, 16 Replies

Linked Trusses and Beams Not Printing

I have picked up a problem in Revit 2017 and it seems no-one can find the solution. Structural trusses and beams in a linked revit model do not print and are also not visible in print preview. Would you perhaps know what could be causing this?

Have a look at the attached model.

Regards John Harvey

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
ToanDN
in reply to: johnharvey

There is something wrong with your host file.  I linked the structural file to a clean host and it prints just fine.

Message 3 of 17
johnharvey
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi ToanDN. Thanks for the reply.

If there is something wrong with the host file, then there must be something wrong with my revit software.

The host file is totally unedited. I merely created a new project and inserted the linked file. No editing in the host file.

I have received an update for Revit 2017 this morning. I will apply the update and see if there are any fixes for this problem.

Thanks

John.

Message 4 of 17

Thank you for your post.  In this case it looks like you are seeing some ill behavior with linked truss and beam models within the Revit 2017 software.

I have seen similar behavior before, and it typical relates to either the objects themselves in the linked model, or the visibility graphics.  When looking at your linked model and content, was this content created using a third party add-in?

-I test copying the contents from this linked model and pasting into the host and it worked correctly.

-I also toggled the “analytical model categories” in the host and this toggled the red liens for the structures to be shown in the print preview (but still not the actual content as displayed).

-I also then confirmed linking this beam and truss model into a new blank template form my stock 2017 templates, and this worked correctly (attached).

At this time I would agree the host is the corrupt component in the equation.  In this case, were the template files you are using company templates or files you migrated from a previous version?  IF not, there may be an issue with your template files themselves.  With the latest update, do you see more favorable results?  I have attached a zip[ folder with the stock templates I used in this test. 

location: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2017\Templates\US Imperial

Thank you and we look forward to your reply to best help in this post where applicable.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: timothy.mcnamara

We have the same problem, linked beams are not printed , is there a way to solve this in the host file ? Or is the update of Revit 2017 necessary ?

I have tested it with a template of Revit 2017 (he upgrade from 2016 to 2017) and the problem is the same, linked beams are not printed. 

Message 6 of 17
jacques
in reply to: Anonymous

We are having exactly the same problem. It is starting to look like a pattern.

Message 7 of 17
nmarshall
in reply to: jacques

I am having the same problem.

Weirdly some of the cross/wind bracing is printing.

Message 8 of 17
Sahay_R
in reply to: nmarshall

Do things change when visibility is changed from By Host File to By Linked File?

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 9 of 17
nmarshall
in reply to: Sahay_R

No difference if visibility by host or by linked file.

Message 10 of 17
negi.dushyant

same issue : Beams from linked file not appearing in print (or preview) and we have a deadline ...

Message 11 of 17
Sahay_R
in reply to: negi.dushyant

Check visibility of the linked file in VG or the view template, as the case may be. Make sure the required Model / Annotation categories are checked. You make need to change visibility to be by Linked File.

Also - test your filters. Make sure that you don't have a crazy filter that is affecting the display. If turning off / removing a filter affects the display in a manner that you don't want, just remove the filter.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 12 of 17
Sahay_R

Can you share a file? I tested the file sent by the OP and it prints just fine.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 13 of 17
jacques

Check your Revit version. We had the same problem in Revit 17.1 but it went away in 17.2. If you are still on 17.1, update the program.

Message 14 of 17
nmarshall
in reply to: jacques

Still does it in 17.2.

But this solution seems to work for us:

In the print set up, in the options area, untick the "Hide crop boundaries"

This may leave you a box that you dont want, so before going to print, in a view, properties panel, untick the "crop region visible".

The reason given was something about items beyond boundaries.

Sorry, I cant recall the website otherwise I would give them the credit!

Message 15 of 17
Tony.Cochrane

that solution worked for me... thanks for posting it

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

Hey! This works for me! I've been bugging by this problem this week (and actually I already filled region these beams that does not appearing). But today i also need to present an isometric, and it the problem arises again! So I decided to take action and thankfully I bumped into this thread! Kudos!

Message 17 of 17
WEIxxulc

兄弟,你这条实在是太有用了!

我试过在链接视图里不显示的梁升级将整体模型升级到2020后,即便打印pdf的时候勾选上裁剪边界的选项也能正常打印出来链接模型里的梁了,不清楚是不是修复这个bug了

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report