Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrusion for Rafter Tail "constraints of sketch cannot be satisfied"

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mkgraboski
953 Views, 7 Replies

Extrusion for Rafter Tail "constraints of sketch cannot be satisfied"

hello all,

I am trying to make a decorative rafter tail for a project.

Followed along with this video here (except I'm using lumber not a W shape) : https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/screencast/Main/Details/4af...

When I try to import the family into my project however, I get the following error message (image attached):

"The constraints of the sketch defining the highlighted element cannot be satisfied."

I have tried redrawing the sketch from scratch, I have removed all constraints within it (not aligning and locking to anything) and I still get this message. The family will not import into the project, it deletes itself! I also tried a simpler sketch... same error.

Please help. What am I doing wrong?

-M

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: mkgraboski

I haven't had the chance to watch the video but it can simply be done by a face based void family host by the structural framing, or even by the opening by face tool on the Modify tab.
Message 3 of 8
mkgraboski
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi Toan - thank you for the quick response!

the cut by face works - I cannot get the void face-based family to work.

Ideally, since this is for beams in a structural system, I would like to get the cutout into the family... 

Message 4 of 8
ToanDN

@mkgraboski wrote:

Hi Toan - thank you for the quick response!

the cut by face works - I cannot get the void face-based family to work.

Ideally, since this is for beams in a structural system, I would like to get the cutout into the family... 

Same deal.  The void should be a nested face based family constrained to one end of the beam.  It's easier to associate parameters and constrain a nested family than model the it directly in the beam family.  See attached.

Annotation 2019-03-01 143335.png

Message 5 of 8
mkgraboski

Thank you!

I am installing Revit 2019 right now, but it looks like the family you sent will work!

I will accept as solution as soon as i can confirm! thanks again!

M

Message 6 of 8
mkgraboski

Hello Toan-

I was able to open your file, and adjust the cutout shape. But when I loaded it into my model, the voids are not constrained to the ends of each rafter in the structural system.

Photo attached below.

I did not change any of the constraints you had made within either family, only the extrusion sketch.

(edit: without any changes by myself, your family works fine)

Thank you again for your help with this! I really appreciate you taking the time.

M

Message 7 of 8
ToanDN

Get rid of the locked dimension in the family.  It wasn't there in the original one I posted.

Annotation 2019-03-04 105114.png

Message 8 of 8
mkgraboski

Thank you.

I think my troubles were with the nested family, as the height and such of the rafter were parameters in there as well.

It is working now! Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report