Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

curved roofs - parametic architecture

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
raresh1905
991 Views, 8 Replies

curved roofs - parametic architecture

hello, im trying to build my design in revit and i got some question about it. this is my project:

Capture.PNG

and i want to have some roof that are going like in this pictures :

Imagini pentru zaha hadid buildingsLexus Tower in Japan - #Architecture:

my tower/complex should get to this form by my sketch:

any ideas how can i get smooth surface especially roofs that can go on the facades? \

thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: raresh1905

I suggest you look at video tutorials on YouTube.

Jeremy Roh's has some really good ones.

Still, a true freeform like what you show is not easy.  Some people will choose to model it in Rhino, import it in a conceptual mass to create divided surfaces, then load it in project to create shell (roofs, walls, curtain panels) by picking faces of the mass .

Message 3 of 9
raresh1905
in reply to: ToanDN

i was thinking at rhino too with grasshoper but how can i iomport only the mass then to pick by face?

Message 4 of 9
ToanDN

You export the Rhino NURBS object to a SAT file and import it to a Revit
Conceptual mass. There you can create divide surfaces by picking on the
Rhino surfaces.
Message 5 of 9
raresh1905
in reply to: ToanDN

so its more easier this way then going to modeling this in revit write? 😄

Message 6 of 9
ToanDN

Not necessary. It all depends on your skillset of the programs you are using.
Message 7 of 9
Alfredo_Medina

I don't think there is any program in which modeling buildings like those is easy. I assume that if you are posting the question in this forum, your project is based on Revit models. If that is the case, I would try to model this in Revit instead of using other applications. The reason for that is that this is a tower, with structural members, windows, columns, floors, etc. In other words, a building with architectural elements, not a statue or a topography or something else. So, if you bring to your Revit model a shape that was modeled somewhere else, that object  will be, most likely, a full block, and not a group of elements in their proper categories. It will increase the size of your Revit model, making it slow. It won't attach or interact properly with other Revit elements. So, there are a lot of reasons for which modeling it in Revit is worthy. 

How to model this? Using reference points, reference lines, surfaces, divided surfaces, repetitions, reactors, formulas, etc. All these tools are found in the generic model adaptive template. It requires good knowledge and skills of those tools. From there, you can import families into the project, and convert elements into actual roofs, curtain panels, floors, walls, columns, beams, etc. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 9
raresh1905

But if i create it as a loft in rhino and imported in a MASS then use long pick mass tool transform everything in revit it won't be easier? I'm not so used with mass editing ( I tried something but I got some problem for example: tha roof should be a specific surface in plans, and when I'm using loft to make the roof I can give it section , and sometimes it's not following the the plan view... it is possible to transform a existent flat roof to give them section of a loft?- if I use the modify subelements it's not so fluid as I want. Thanks!!
Message 9 of 9
ToanDN

@raresh1905 wrote:
But if i create it as a loft in rhino and imported in a MASS then use long pick mass tool transform everything in revit it won't be easier?
If you are comfortable with modeling in Rhino then Yes.
I'm not so used with mass editing ( I tried something but I got some problem for example: tha roof should be a specific surface in plans, and when I'm using loft to make the roof I can give it section , and sometimes it's not following the the plan view... it is possible to transform a existent flat roof to give them section of a loft?- if I use the modify subelements it's not so fluid as I want. Thanks!!
No you cannot convert a flat roof to a 'loft' roof.  You must model the 'loft' as a mass and use Roof by Face to create the roof by picking the mass.  See a very simple video below for some very basic steps.
Start watching tutorial videos on YouTube and researching the terms @Alfredo_Medina has mentioned in his reply for what they are and what you can do with them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators