Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area Plan Troubles

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
4757 Views, 7 Replies

Area Plan Troubles

In my Revit beginnings this is first time I feel completely lost. Man Sad

I'm trying to create area plan.

First problem is that when I finish plan creation, my room tags disappear.

Second problem is that no any area plan tag or marking appear, so I know that something happened only by acknowledging first problem (no room tags)

Third problem is that I see no way how to modify area plan boundaries;

- When I set boundaries to automatic creation, error message appear after I try to manipulate with boundaries as soon as close loop is not present. After that, I have no clue about status of area plan, overview of all boundaries... complete mess

- If I try to create boundaries by lines picking, it tells me that there is no closed loop, though I pick room separation lines (which had to create close loops, otherwise rooms could not be created).

- If I try to draw boundaries manually over room separation lines, there is no snapping, so I cannot form closed loop even with the best eagerness.

Finally I don't even know what I have. I cannot pick something, modify something so that I know that task is finished (or not).

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

1.  Room tags are view dependent.  When you create a new view, in your case an Area Plan view, then you have to re-tag the Rooms, or copy paste Room tags from an old view.

2.  After create an Area plan, you need to draw Area boundary lines to form Areas, then place Areas and tag them with Area tag.  Revit only offers to create the Area boundary lines based on exterior walls if you have them.  The rest you have to do manually.

3.  You can create Area boundary lines by Pick walls, or by sketch.  They need to form close loops in order to bound Areas.  After you pick wall, you can use grip stretch, or use Extend tool to close the loop.  They don't need to meet exactly end to end, but they should be closed enough. 

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
barthbradley

Not clear on all the issues you are having, but the reason you are not seeing the Rooms/Tags, is because Revit has moved you to the newly created Area Plan View.  

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Uh, sometimes it's not easy to overcome basic ignorance.

I did not realise that area plan is not the same as area, so after creating area plan I didn't see that it's active plan, instead of basic floor plan, where room tags remained.

Area plan type is somewhat confusing... if gross building type is selected, than only two area types are available, while I don't understand what happens when new area plan scheme is created, can tailored area types be created within it?

Message 5 of 8
barthbradley

You can add more Area Schemes under the Area Schemes Tab of the Area and Volume Computations dialog box. Also, you can reuse Levels by unchecking "Do Not Duplicate Existing Views".  

FWIW

Message 6 of 8
ToanDN

Area plans are driven by Area schemes.  Each Area scheme can have its own set of Area plans with different Area boundaries and different Areas for different purposes.  For example:  Gross Building Area, Rentable Area, etc... You can create as many as you need.

Annotation 2019-01-19 124534.png

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

So, whatever new plan scheme one created, the only available area types are always the same as for "rentable" scheme? It's not possible to create own area type?

Message 8 of 8
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

So, whatever new plan scheme one created, the only available area types are always the same as for "rentable" scheme? It's not possible to create own area type?

No. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report