Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening and manipulating Revit files in an external .NET application

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
2322 Views, 9 Replies

Opening and manipulating Revit files in an external .NET application

Hi everyone,

My question concerns using the Revit API to open .rvt files from outside of Revit. 

After reading through much of the documentation and examples, I see that I can do much of what I need, but only through ExternalCommand and ExternalApplication interfaces, both of which involve running Revit directly.

Is it possible to make a Windows Forms application to open a .rvt file, do some work, and exit, without creating external commands or ribbon buttons (a plug-in basically)?  For example, I would like to open a .rvt file, retrieve all element names in some model, and write them to another file.  I've managed to do this using the IExternalCommand Interface, but I don't want to have to open revit or create new ribbon buttons to do so.  Is this possible?  Or do all functionalities have to be within some type of Add-in?

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-- Joseph

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ollikat
in reply to: Anonymous

Maybe someone from AD can give you more detailed answer but basically that is NOT possible.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Hi all,

Same as Joseph, I am interested in whether we can open revit file without opening the Revit.

Is there any updated information now?

Thanks,

John

Message 4 of 10
mikako_harada

Unfortunately, it is not supported, yet. 

Mikako Harada
Developer Technical Services
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: mikako_harada

Hi Mikako,

I too am interested in opening revit files externally. You mentioned it was not possible "yet", and this was over a year ago, can I ask if it is possible now?

I can't find it anywhere in the documentation so I assume not, if this is the case can you confirm if this is in your development roadmap?

thanks,

Rob

Message 6 of 10
mikako_harada

Hi Rob, 

Sorry, not yet.  Still stays as highly demanded feature.  I'm quite sure that if it becomes available, it will be a big topic on Jeremy's blog 🙂  So please keep eyes on his blog.  

Although we cannot really support such a usage, some "desperate" developer seems to have tried using a joural file conjunction with idling event to runa a command, etc. Depending on what you want to do, you *may* be able to start Revit this way.  Again, I cannot guaranty such a usage.  But you may try with your risk.  

Sorry for not being much help on this.   

Mikako Harada
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks for the update Mikako,

I will keep an eye on the blog.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Hi,

Any updates on this feature? 

In one of requirement, I need to generate this files through some automated process so that users can use those file further for modifications, but they get the basic information in the file. 

Please let me know if this is possible or is there a workaround. 

thanks,

Kapil

Message 9 of 10
mikako_harada

Hi Kapil, 

Sorry, no.  But technology has evolved since the time we discussed this.  We are working on cloud version.  We are expecting to have Design Automation API for Revit. Using this, you can run Revit from your application on the cloud. You can find more info. from the following AU and DevDays Online presentations: 

SD125457: Design Automation: Building Web Applications with Revit Data on Forge

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/classes/year-2017/revit/sd125457

SD124720: The New and Expanded Forge Design Automation API

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/classes/year-2017/autocad/sd124720#...

DevDays Online 2017: Revit API updates 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1WskGTzX3s

Timing wise, personally I'm holding my breath, while eagerly awaiting.   

More info. in the video if you want to be a part of private beta.  

Mikako Harada
Message 10 of 10
BimalGeorge

Is there any update on this.

We have to read the elements and spaces from a Revit Model using API from an external .Net application.

Thanks

Bimal George

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Rail Community