Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Geneva Drive in Fusion 360

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
robduarte
1806 Views, 9 Replies

Parametric Geneva Drive in Fusion 360

I made a tutorial showing how I used user parameters to make a customizable Geneva drive. Please leave any comments/suggestions under the youtube video

Good luck..

Rob

Rob Duarte
Associate Professor in Art, Florida State University
Co-Director FSU Facility for Arts Research
http://art.fsu.edu/rob-duarte/

Twitter | YouTube

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Ndenekamp
in reply to: robduarte

Very nice tutorial, thank you for sharing! Great to see some in-depth video on using parameter driver designs.

I do think it would be great to see the conclusion of makeing the base and adding the joints so that people following along can have the satisfaction of having a working final model. Perhaps a part two video as you mentioned it was getting a bit too lenghty to do it all in once. 

I do with Fusion will soon include a feature of specifying user defined parameters on the go, as you are sketching out your model. Instead of having to make sure you add your parameters beforehand (which works if you already know what they will be as in the case of this geneva wheel, but very often you wont know ahead of time)

again, very enjoyable video, thanks for sharing!

Niels

Message 3 of 10
macnewbie
in reply to: Ndenekamp

Cool video, thanks for sharing.

Message 4 of 10
robduarte
in reply to: Ndenekamp

I do with Fusion will soon include a feature of specifying user defined parameters on the go, as you are sketching out your model. Instead of having to make sure you add your parameters beforehand (which works if you already know what they will be as in the case of this geneva wheel, but very often you wont know ahead of time

I agree. You can always dimension things first, then go into the list of user parameters and name them but it would be way better if you could just name them on the fly. You should add that as a feature request in the forums if it's not already there.

Rob

Rob Duarte

Twitter | YouTube

Message 5 of 10
keqingsong

This is great Rob, I'll add it to our Modeling tutorial playlist on our Fusion 360 YouTube channel :). 

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 6 of 10
karyeka
in reply to: keqingsong

Nice video Rob. Thanks.

I noticed you mentioned about the tangent constraint while sketching a line and circle. If you start line on a circle and then press shift it will add the tangent constraint on the go.

Regards,

Anand

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 7 of 10
robduarte
in reply to: karyeka

Great, thanks. Any other tips for the points where I stumble would be appreciated. I've been using F360 all last year but there seems to be a lot of shortcuts that I'm missing out on. Is there a spot in the online docs that points out things like this? Another example is the drag-swipe gesture .. is that documented somewhere?

Rob

Rob Duarte

Twitter | YouTube

Message 8 of 10
jan
Contributor

I am trying to follow and reproduce the Geneva wheel assembly but I am running into some problems, maybe very simple but I cant figure it out.

I typed all the parameters in as in the screenshot, exactly as in the video and all without units. I then start the first 'sloppy' triangle and I can not use the parametric value (c1)  for the first dimension. It stays red and I can't select it. I tried to make a new c1 this time with mm as units and I can select it OK. Problem now is that when I try to type in the expression for b1, it wont let me and it stays red. As mentioned in the video, using units will cause issues but also without units, I am getting stuck.

Could anybody have a look at this and let me know how to get this going or point me in the direction where I am going wrong?

Thanks.

JB

Message 9 of 10
robduarte

Not sure off hand, but if you need units for a parameter you can do this: c1 * 1 mm (or whatever unit you need). Give that a try...

Rob Duarte

Twitter | YouTube

Message 10 of 10
jan
Contributor

Tried it and it works as expected. Made some changes to the parameters to change from radius to diameter for some dimensions but all is OK now.

Made the first iteration and setting up CAM now to machine it. Wonder if the parametric set-up goes all the way to the CAM set-up. Will try and post the results, if it does, it would be fantastic.

Thanks again!

JB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report